Ship strategies and custom fleets

Stratus

Wow...kind of complicated...Ok, so I need to go into the HW2 Data folder, create a new folder called scripts/startingfleets/ (I cant include the "/") and then, I'm stuck. How do I go about naming the ships that I want? I know that I have to type the whole "Imperator II Destroyer" or whatever the name of the ship is, but how do I write it? In a Word Document? (sorry to be a bother, but I'm new to the whole modding thing)

• SWR Staff - Executive

notepad is the best tool for any modding (or slightly better freeware like notepad2 or editpad etc)

the ship names are the names in the game internally but generally are things like vgr_tie_fighter or Hgn_X_wing

I don't suppose you can start with a docked ship (ISD with docked TIE fighters?)

Want to play a game of Warlords? Join the Warlords hamachi network!

Network name: SW:Warlords

Network password: Warlords

I once made a small vb.NET app that let you build starting fleets and it would automaticaly generate the files needed, it even had the ability to copy .ship files and create essentialy new ship types with names specified in the app, completely automaticaly.

Put simply you could build up fleets by clicking on ships in lists and then name them and even change some of their features, then start the game from the app and play with your custom starting fleet.

Ive looked around for the app or the source but havent found it yet, making one that simply builds starting fleets is a doddle, reimplementing the custom naming might be tougher.

• 2 months later...

Ok...so far, here is what I have done...correct me if anything is wrong

I created a new folder called "scripts" in to my C:\Program Files\Sierra\Homeworld2\Data folder. Within my "scripts" folder, I created a notepad document called "startingfleets".

From here, I wrote down my fleets (this is the way I wrote it within Notepad):

vgr_Imperator_II_Star_Destroyer, vgr_tie_fighter, vgr_tie_fighter, vgr_tie_fighter, vgr_tie_fighter, vgr_tie_fighter, vgr_tie_fighter, vgr_tie_fighter, vgr_tie_fighter, vgr_tie_fighter, vgr_tie_fighter, vgr_tie_fighter, vgr_tie_fighter

hgn_Assault_Frigate, hgn_Assault_Frigate, hgn_Assault_Frigate, hgn_Assault_Frigate, hgn_X_wing, hgn_X_wing, hgn_X_wing, hgn_X_wing, hgn_X_wing, hgn_X_wing, hgn_X_wing, hgn_X_wing

After that, I'm lost. I need to include "-overrideBigFile" into the command line, but where? At the end? Between CW.Big and "-luatrance"?

Also, do I get to choose the map in which I play in? Do I get to choose which side I get to play as? If yes, how do I do that?

Well, for starters, you can't put -overrideBigFile because this mod is in big files and they are not compatible (the command lines).

If you really wanted to do something like this you should compile it into .big file. Secondly you can't create a notepad document because the game only reads LUA files (although thees can be open with notepad). Third you must create a startigfleets folder in your scripts folder. Fourth you should make separate Lua files for each race (eg. hiigaran00, vaygr00). And finally the way you wrote is completely wrong, it should look something like this:

PersistantData = {

StrikeGroups = {

},

Squadrons = {

{

type = "Hgn_Shipyard",

subsystems = {

},

shiphold = {

},

name = "",

},

{

type = "Hgn_Carrier",

subsystems = {

},

shiphold = {

},

name = "",

},

},

Research = {

},

}

After that you can play a deathmatch, and deathmatch only with this starting fleets, if it's even compatible with warlords because warlords doesn't have a deathmatch as the original HW2.

So you can either implement a selectable scenario startin fleets like in PDS 7.3.1 (i think Evillejedi said he will implement it in the next version) or you can simply play the existing scenarios ;D.

OK, I'm tired now, going to bed.