Star Wars: Rebellion [SWR]
http://forums.swrebellion.com/

a little advice
http://forums.swrebellion.com/viewtopic.php?f=570&t=27274
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Master_Vel422 [ Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:53 am ]
Post subject:  a little advice

As we all know here in[ the US its tax return season im am taking $1500 dollars and buying my own gaming rig from ibuypower.com and im configuring  as follows:                      (1)Eagletech Sidewinder Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply
(2)Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6750 (2x 2.66GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1333FSB)
(3)  [=== Silent ===] Extreme-Performance INTEL CPU Cooling Fan System Kit  Silent & Overclocking Proof = Maximum cooling efficiency for quietness and performance 
(4) Asus Striker Extreme nForce® 680i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB    (the mothereboard)
(5) 2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module  (memory)
(6) 2x's Nvidia 8600 GTS 512MB w/DVI and TV out
(7)  200 GB HARD DRIVE  [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache]  There are two of these.
(8) 20X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive 
(9) 20.1" LCD 16:10 Wide WSXGA HD(HDCP) Monitor Support DVI Video up to 1080P(HDMI)

i get all this for a grand total of $1,575 shipping included ,so my question is this is this a good system and should i add/change/or remove any thing please give me some feedback

Author:  shadowlegion421 [ Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: a little advice

its not bad, but you will need a larger power supply than that. on a system like that, i wouldnt go below 800w. thats the only critical problem youve got there.

personal preference and experience would tell me to urge you to go with an AMD cpu instead. the athlon x2's are great chips, or if you really want the best, there's the AMD Phenom quad core that just came out, but it would likely put you overbudget. 2gb ram is also a little weak, but not a show-stopper.

Author:  Master_Vel422 [ Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: a little advice

Thanks i was thiinking a bout a laeger power supply and switching to and ati based system let me see...

Author:  Master_Vel422 [ Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: a little advice

shadowlegion421 wrote:
its not bad, but you will need a larger power supply than that. on a system like that, i wouldnt go below 800w. thats the only critical problem youve got there.

personal preference and experience would tell me to urge you to go with an AMD cpu instead. the athlon x2's are great chips, or if you really want the best, there's the AMD Phenom quad core that just came out, but it would likely put you overbudget. 2gb ram is also a little weak, but not a show-stopper.

ok heres the ATI/AMD system what do you think:
(1) Eagletech Sidewinder Gaming Tower Case
(2) 1000 Watt -- Ultra X3 Energy Efficient Modular Power Supply  Quad SLI Ready 
(3) [== Quad Core ==] AMD Phenom X4 9600 Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology   
(4) [=== Silent ===] Extreme-Performance AMD CPU Cooling Fan System Kit  Silent & Overclocking Proof = Maximum cooling efficiency for quietness and performance 
(5) [== New ==] MSI K9A2 CF-F AMD 790X CrossFire Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Dual Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Dual PCI-E MB   
(6)  2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module 
(7) 2x's ATI Raedeon HD 3850 256MB PCI-Express x16 running Crossfire mode
(8)  200 GB HARD DRIVE  [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache]  There are 2 of these
(9)  20X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive 
(10) 20.1" LCD 16:10 Wide WSXGA HD(HDCP) Monitor Support DVI Video up to 1080P(HDMI)
well hows this one all for the price of $1,560 shipping included

Author:  shadowlegion421 [ Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: a little advice

very nice, the 790x chipset is great, and very low power consumption as well. you may see if you can find a board that support 4x crossfire, so you can upgrade later. it may only be the 790fx boards that do support it, but that is what makes crossfire better than sli. 2 hd3850's is great, 4 is better. when you do put all this together, make sure you get a 64-bit operating system, or you'll waste all that cpu power. XP x64 is the best, but you wont have any issues at all with vista 64 if you prefer it.

edit: i just looked at the msi k9a2 platinum, and it does support 4x crossfire, its the 790fx chipset. $170

Author:  Master_Vel422 [ Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: a little advice

shadowlegion421 wrote:
very nice, the 790x chipset is great, and very low power consumption as well. you may see if you can find a board that support 4x crossfire, so you can upgrade later. it may only be the 790fx boards that do support it, but that is what makes crossfire better than sli. 2 hd3850's is great, 4 is better. when you do put all this together, make sure you get a 64-bit operating system, or you'll waste all that cpu power. XP x64 is the best, but you wont have any issues at all with vista 64 if you prefer it.

edit: i just looked at the msi k9a2 platinum, and it does support 4x crossfire, its the 790fx chipset. $170

i did a nw config with this chipset:MSI K9A2 Platinum AMD 790FX CrossFire Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Quad PCI-E MB   
and it kicked the price up to $1,633 only thing is it wont give an option for two more cards only a double set

Author:  shadowlegion421 [ Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: a little advice

you mean a package deal with 4 cards? no one offers one. i would just recommend getting a mobo that supports 4 so you can upgrade later if you want to. i priced a system out similar to that but with 4 hd3870, it was $3200. the 790fx chipset is pretty much king of the hill right now. and 2 3850's still beats out 2 8600's

Author:  Master_Vel422 [ Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: a little advice

shadowlegion421 wrote:
you mean a package deal with 4 cards? no one offers one. i would just recommend getting a mobo that supports 4 so you can upgrade later if you want to. i priced a system out similar to that but with 4 hd3870, it was $3200. the 790fx chipset is pretty much king of the hill right now. and 2 3850's still beats out 2 8600's

so tell me the truth would it be worth the money to buy this computer and how long do you think
it will be before i have to buy a new one

Author:  shadowlegion421 [ Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: a little advice

well, i built my system about about 4 years ago, and its still great for gaming. some of the newer stuff coming out i have to tune down a lot, like crysis, but for the most part, its great. i would expect that a good new system built now should be no different. and, if you build it with the m9a2 platinum mobo, it leaves a lot of room for expansion and upgrades later on if you find you want more out of it. the Phenom processors are a new line, and so higher and better performance will be coming out for the quad cores soon. i would say its a great investment, and a great price. i woudnt expect to have to get a whole new system for another 5-8 years at least, barring some revolutionary breakthrough.

Author:  Master_Vel422 [ Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: a little advice

shadowlegion421 wrote:
well, i built my system about about 4 years ago, and its still great for gaming. some of the newer stuff coming out i have to tune down a lot, like crysis, but for the most part, its great. i would expect that a good new system built now should be no different. and, if you build it with the m9a2 platinum mobo, it leaves a lot of room for expansion and upgrades later on if you find you want more out of it. the Phenom processors are a new line, and so higher and better performance will be coming out for the quad cores soon. i would say its a great investment, and a great price. i woudnt expect to have to get a whole new system for another 5-8 years at least, barring some revolutionary breakthrough.

thanks dude thats all i wanted to know. i wanted to make sure that
(1) i was getting a good invest
(2) i was getting some thing thats upgradeable
(3) that it will be able to run games like crysis and UT3 without slowdown
thanks again btw do you know of any tutorials on how to mod i really want to get into this seeing all the great work that EJ has done with Warlords

Author:  shadowlegion421 [ Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: a little advice

i have no idea anymore. i dont mod much myself. and it would appear the relic forums for hw2 are no more, or at least i cant find them. EJ should know though, and i think he might have a tutorial or be willing to give you some help.

Author:  EvilleJedi [ Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: a little advice

Karos graveyard is undergoing a security reconstruction, but the normal relic forums were reorganized into different master categories (they are still tanis shipyards on relic forums)

Author:  shadowlegion421 [ Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: a little advice

ah, you and your knowledge.....

Author:  Master_Vel422 [ Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: a little advice

i got my new pc last week and all i can say is...wow.ran warlords...WOW i just have to figure out how to get a better  resolution for the game to run on

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/