Newb question about cards

Dan4GS

Ok, so I've been perusing these forums for some time and lately have been trying to edit the game. Finally had some moderate success with rebed and the resource hacker and feel like I've grasped the very basics. However, I have a problem with replacing cards. I don't have a full version installed right now so rebed won't let me replace cards, and I won't be able to install the full version for another 2 weeks as my brother has the CD and he won't be able to bring it back until then.

Is there a way to replace cards without going through rebed? If so, how?

And off topic, if anyone wants to answer these questions I'd be appreciative...

1) Is there any way to change the length of time it takes to research things? For example, I've noticed that if you make only one troop buildable at the beginning of the game (thus have to research 4 types of troops), the 4 troops will come in the same time that it would take to research 3 (if alliance) or 2 (if Imperial). This defeats the purpose as I often research the first troop before turn 40 w/out having anyone researching troop tech.

2) Is there any way to change how aggressive the AI is? (besides modifying costs in rebed)

Thanks in advance!

• SWR Staff - Executive

The requirement for a full installation is necessary because that puts the Rebellion DLLs onto your local drive. Thus Rebed can edit them.

Without that, you cannot load any of the updates from the cards.

And off topic, if anyone wants to answer these questions I'd be appreciative...

1) Is there any way to change the length of time it takes to research things? For example, I've noticed that if you make only one troop buildable at the beginning of the game (thus have to research 4 types of troops), the 4 troops will come in the same time that it would take to research 3 (if alliance) or 2 (if Imperial). This defeats the purpose as I often research the first troop before turn 40 w/out having anyone researching troop tech.

I believe the time to research is constant. But if-I-remember-correctly, you can set some of the research not to be required. Or even change the character stats so that research missions are always successful.

2) Is there any way to change how aggressive the AI is? (besides modifying costs in rebed)

Not really. The AI is really dumb. Changing numbers is the only way.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Thanks for the response! What if I were able to replace the bitmap through resource hacker? Would replacing that image work in game?

And with the techs, I'm actually trying to slow them down... too bad. Wish LucasArts had made the AI smarter, but I guess I'll just have to try to compensate. Rebellion could truly be a fantastic game if they had worked a bit more on it and made it use less mouse clicks. Thanks again for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, finally got my CD back and have the full install now. Replaced some cards this morning and noticed that several had different names/misspellings that I didn't want, so I attempted to change them in textstra.dll but it didn't seem to have any effect. How do I go about fixing this?

Edit: And just to be clear, I did "compile script" and save changes. I've even tried changing character names under "admiral" and "general" but it still won't change them, even when I promote them. Any thoughts?

On the research side, you can use RebEd to change success rates among minions. If you want research to take longer, either reduce the number of characters that can do research AND/OR lower the characters' research number. You have to keep it above 0, or they will always fail. I'm not sure what a good number would be; you'll have to experiment.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

yeah, you can change the cards without using rebed, its just a long process. pretty much you're be making your own cards. but, that's what i do when i edit rebellion, come up with my own characters and cards, facilities and fighters and ships too. also, if you use resource hacker instead of rebed to do things, you can have the encyclopedia entries be as long as you want, if i remember correctly. you will eventualy need to do a full install and use rebed to change character and unit values, but if you dont' mind doing things the long way or would enjoy creating your own cards and other things to mod the game the way you like, go for it. it does take a long time, but its fun and satisfying as well. one fun thing you can do with resource hacker, is change the names of leadership positions too. you need to use rebed to change the ablity to become a certain type of leader, but, for example, you can set han as an admiral, commander, or general, and use reshack to make it say "captain solo" for each of them. or "commander skywalker" no matter what leadership position he is set at. this is pretty cool in terms of ranks throughout the game, because even though you an only set them as admirals for fleets, commanders for fighters, and generals for troops, you can set any character to have the abilities you want, set thier skill levels at the different skills, and have grand admirals, admirals, commanders, captains, generals, majors, whatever you want. at least that's what it will say in the game. also, as the game progresses, and experience leads to higher skill points, you can go back into reshack and change them, so captain peitt can get promoted to admiral piett, for example. granted its just a name and they still do the same job when you set them in command, but its cool to have certain ranks and promote them over time if you wish.

when it comes to research, you can use rebed to change the research values of units and facilities. you can also change character values to have as many people or not to have the abilities to do certain research. you can always just not do research missions too, you'll eventually make research progress anyway, but it will take a very long time to complete it all. one thing that not many people touch on, or maybe even know, is that the number of facilites that you have help research along. that is, the number of consctuction yards under your control each contribute a bit to facility research, training facilites to troops, and shipyards to ship research. i think this is just part of the base code to the game and i'm not sure you could even find or edit the way this works in reshacker. do the full install and play around with setting the research numbers for units and facilities, then, even with people having successful missions alwaysmaking progress (which they should) it can take longer to research things.

the AI is all about the numbers. if you change ship cards and models (of even if you don't) you'll have to fool around with the numbers to give yourself a challenge playing aganist the computers. i know there's a thing around here to even get the empire to build death stars, but just in general, set all the research and abilities and construction and maintenance costs of units and facilities, then make two different rebed files, one with things reduced for the empire, and one reduced for the alliance, so you can change it depending on what side you want to play. there's no way of getting around the computer being a moron, but with cut down construction and maintenance costs, and boosted skills for characters and even special forces and military units within the game, it will be much more of a challenge, just because the ai will do a better and faster and easier job of being an idiot, lol. it works though, fiddle with the numbers, put them too low and you'll see huge fleets with such strength and characters and units with skills in the game that it will be hard to complete any missions and you'll be running from one side while trying to keep a foothold in the galaxy. but, with all those foils, lukes jedi rating and skills will soar in no time :) just fool around until you find the challenge level that's good for you. like i siad, the ai is stupid, but it will be able to build bigger better and faster than you with the right settings and hence make your game much more difficult for you.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you can't change all the encyclopedia entries by RebEd, since some of them are hex characters. Basically, that means that you'll end-up doing a lot of hex-editing, which is not fine if you don't understand hex coding... the best is the cardspace mod that's somewhere out there. But yeah, Ressource hacker is way better for a lot of edits. Also, it is mandatory to make new burns for your new ship cards.

yeah, i haven't seen the cardspace thing in a while. might be in one of the tcs around and i just haven't found it again yet. it is harder, but i was well on my way of editing the encyclopedia entries in reshack a couple years agao. just have to get used to the hex coding. its a pain in the ass, but i am a masochist, and is nice when you get it right. the burns is one thing i didn't get to before, and wasnt' looking forward to. if you don't change them, do they just keep the same ones and look all goofy? probably one of the last things i'll get to again, think i'll start like i did before, change the map, the sectors, systems, planet pics, the encyclopedia entries for the characters and facilities and special forces and troops, then fighters, and then tackle the modelling and changing the in game ship pics and all that entails. oh good lord i have a long road ahead, but rebellion and working out are pretty much my rehab after giving up some things for new years, lol :mrgreen:

yeah, i've tried some modelling from scratch, got a few things to look ok, but i'm not very good at it or computer programming. some easy things you can do, though, are as simple as taking the models from the original game and texture them a bit better to make them look nicer in tactical. there's lots of models here too (though it seems a good number have broken links now :( ) and other places around the web that are sweet in game. even large file size complex models with lots of polys can be stripped down, tweaked, and textured to look a hell of a lot better than the originals. i hardly ever use a model as is, even from the ones in the downloads here. so i don't do alot of modelling per se, but i'll edit them, texture, add, take away, fiddle with size, til i get them how i like them. all those things can be done with just a few free modelling software programs, even though you might have to go through three of four of them to get a collada or google sketchup model tweaked to your liking and from the original type of file into a .x