Complete overhaul of game appearance.

darthsylver

I need to know if it is possible to change the pictures of the planets, as well as changing the encyclopedia for the planets.

I am planning on creating a TC that starts just after episode III (with a few minor changes) and I want to include planets that ae seen in Episodes I-III. Now i know that I can change the planet's name and importance through ReBed, but I would like to change the appearance and encyclopedia as well if that is even possible.

Sure, download vakundok's bmpconverter.

He explains it in the readme file, there. Basically, a Rebellion planet consists of two files: the actual pic and the palette.

vakundok's program will create these out of your bmp picture, if it has the correct number of colors (84, or 86 I think. Check the readme :wink:).

If you name the then created .bin files to the correct entry numbers, that they have in the tactical.dll, then you can even import them with my model importer.

For example Coruscant has the entries 5523 & 5553 in the tactical.dll. So from what the readme tells you, entry 5523 would be your picture of the planet and 5553 the palette for that planet.

So, as you might've guessed, your files will need to be named 5523.bin and 5553.bin to be recognized and imported correctly by the model importer.

Hope that helps :wink:

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

1) in the download area here under textures :wink:

2) like I said, it can be done with the model importer, which can also be downloaded here (models section)

3) I can't offhand. But with the bmpconverter you can convert the old images from the tactical.dll back into bmps. This way, you'll know, which entry is what planet.

If you don't know how to extract the original entries with ResHacker, then please download it and the first version of my model exchange tutorial as well. The tutorial might have another topic, but it also shows you the ropes with ResHacker 8)

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

• 6 years later...

I'm trying to change the in-battle planet pictures. Turns out .bin are hard to play with. So I've gatherered partly how to use vakundok's program. Says I need

5501 to 5527

and 5531 to 5557.

First batch is okay. Mostly. These are bins, but unfortunately, Unlike the death star pic or 5527.bin, I can't get the .bmp's to look like the in game version. Also, the palette batch 5531 to 5557 are not showing up at all in their .bmp form. Using the .pal format also won't get me anywhere. So does anybody has a clear way to change planets in space battles??

• 3 months later...
changing all the bmp files in the game is tedius and time consuming, but worth it if you want a tc that you really like when you play. you do have to take alot of time to find out what numbers go with every picture in the game with reshack or resoursce explorer. sorry, i used to have a complete list, but i have to start over making that again. mask's tutorials were great, but i can't get them to come up in the model download section anymore. if anybody out there has them, email them to me at jasonlaviolette2012 either yahoo im or email, both are the same, even in text form would be great. the game uses a certain palette, actually two, the one for fighters is even smaller than the other, or maybe its all things in tactical. find a picture of what planet you want to use, doesn't have to be a .bmp. then you have to play with a photo editing or paint program. you have to that that original picture and apply the correct pallete to it in such a program, then save it as a .bmp. after that, you can can use the converter to turn it into a .bin with the correct file name (numbers, in this case). be careful, of the 200 systems, the same planet picture can be used for a few of them, so you have to make sure the one you're changing is really the one you want to be changing. start out with one you know isn't duplicated in the game and see if that works. change the right files with the correct color palette and the right size and pixels, and it should look like you want. perhaps not exactly like the pic you started with, because the color pallete changed it a bit, but it should work. Edited by JasonTL

No concern, this is now done for all the 20 planets or so. I know what I'm doing and have the list of what palette is associated with what bin. My work on this matter is not perfect due to limitations of the method, but that's still better than having non-corresponding planets. And yup, that would basically be for all things in tactical. I do happen to have said tutorials. I'll try to set a link with them somewhere. Just tell me which tutorials you need and I'll pack 'em. And by the way, unless you want to prove your spam blocker's efficiency, I'd suggest you remove your e-mail from here. Otherwise, spam-bots will find-it....

cool. all the turorials would be great. like i said, been a while since i've done any of this, would love to have them just to brush up and keep as a reference. my yim is in my profile, email is the same at that id. send either way whenever possible. thanks alot

been going through some of your other threads, mrphildevil. sounds like you're doing a great job. love to see it when its done. i'm soooooooooooooo far behind you, but hope to get there with my complete overhaul at some point too. i know its probably around here somewhere, but couldn't find it in the downloads section. have most of my other tools ready to go to start editing, but i'm really still in reasearch mode for now. i don't kow if any the tutorials have the bmpconverter in them, but if you could zip that up with the rest of them if they don't and get it to me, it would be greatly appreciated

been going through some of your other threads, mrphildevil. sounds like you're doing a great job. love to see it when its done. i'm soooooooooooooo far behind you, but hope to get there with my complete overhaul at some point too. i know its probably around here somewhere, but couldn't find it in the downloads section. have most of my other tools ready to go to start editing, but i'm really still in reasearch mode for now. i don't kow if any the tutorials have the bmpconverter in them, but if you could zip that up with the rest of them if they don't and get it to me, it would be greatly appreciated

I'd rather not e-mail anything, if you don't mind. I've zipped a few utilities and uploaded them to mediafire. That's about all the tutorials I've stumbled upon. Might have missed Vakundok's program, however. Anyway, enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ecxxqv85s4jf2ui

And yup, I've worked a lot on this baby. Still am, for that matter. However, the galaxy part is mostly over, with one planet placement (of the 200) that needs to be corrected and possible typo's. Anyway, good luck with your own project. Be sure to test my alpha version, if it is still available. If not, you'll have to wait until beta comes out, which should be... some day :P

thanks so much. that helps a lot. look forward to the beta, i'll check out the alpha too, think i remember which thread its posted in. maybe all have to do the same this go around. put up some of the dll files and rebed files as i go through different aspects of my mod. wish i knew computer programming. looks like slocket is doing an awsome job reinventing the entire game. would have made it so much easier if the base code for rebellion had been released. don't know why lucasarts, after 14 years and the albeit small, but failthful cult following this game has had for so long, still can't give out anything. i could see if they had done it right the first time, ground tactical, planetary systems at least in the right regions of space if not the right sectors, lol. for what the game is, the galaxy map isn't bad for the gameplay, but i'm going to begin my tc with totally revamping the sectors, systems and maps too. with the atlas out and pictures on the net, have some good ideas. definitely want to have some inner core things going on, at least byss. maybe as just part of the inner core, or possibly oversector 0. that should be somwhere on one of the sides or top or bottom, and the other regions spreading out in a C or semicircle like way. no reason the unknown regions need to be in there, so that's what i'm thinking right now. still researching regions and sectors and systems, trying to get my list down. one thing i know for sure is that all 200 will be available via rebed for all three sized galaxies. that way, you can accrue more leadership points by recruiting a few more characters, and there's you'll only have to see if there's one or two goofy ones available at the start that don't make sense. i always hated starting a new game and having lando already available right after the battle of yavin, makes absolutely no sense. but cant' control that when you get six extra characters at the beginning of a huge galaxy game. so 200 star systems and only 6 characters to start, i like that. unless one is lando, then i start another new game, lol.

damn, you zipped up everything and then some, didn't you? THANKS. and the bmp converter is there, with the strategic and tactical color palettes. hope other people that are having trouble with masks tutorials not working anymore and that need these little programs find that link before it goes off that site too. just about everything you need to start on a conversion, besides research and some other free modelling software and a photo editing suit. i'll keep hold of that 7zip file so i don't ever lose all those things for yet another time. thanks again

damn, you zipped up everything and then some, didn't you? THANKS. and the bmp converter is there, with the strategic and tactical color palettes. hope other people that are having trouble with masks tutorials not working anymore and that need these little programs find that link before it goes off that site too. just about everything you need to start on a conversion, besides research and some other free modelling software and a photo editing suit. i'll keep hold of that 7zip file so i don't ever lose all those things for yet another time. thanks again

Why, you welcome ;)

My alpha version should be available on the big thread that reads Rebellion 1.5, on the first post. I did include the unknown regions myself, because it happens to me to want to roleplay a little and I just love Zahn's work (the Chiss in particular). Also, my own mod was done solely with the Essential Star Wars Atlas, though with the limitation of 20 sectors 200 planets, the choice of planet is entirely subjective. As I've already explained, I went for a sectorial approach: Deep Core, Corporate Sector, Hapes... I think they deserved more focus. However, litterature limitation and geografical restrictions made me couple the Calamari Sector with that of the Centrality.

yes, i like zahn's work too, like you, in particular the chiss. not sure yet if i'll include it or not, probably not just because kind of cutting that part of the galaxy out lets me spread out the other 20 sectors a bit so it doens't only take a day to get between sectors. although, i guess i could also do that with rebed and the hyperspace values as well, hmmmmmm. only problem with that is han is still hard wired at 50 and sending a manufactured item from a facility would get there faster than capitol ships could travel. military regiments and non hyperdrive fighters would be faster too, lol. its so goofy that you can manufacture things like that and deploy them on the other side of the galaxy, yet TIE fighters just have to stay there and die in tactical, haha. then again, shorter hops might be fun, so i'm still working things out. i'm going to take more of a sector approach too, maybe combine some things like you did too. still doing alot of reading on wookieepedia on regions and systems making my lists up and figuring it out. definitley using the essential atlas as my basis for setting things up though. probably will end up looking much like yours will. maybe just zoomed in a little bit and tilted a bit. its space, i really don't think there's any true north to set up a map, lol.

its space, i really don't think there's any true north to set up a map, lol.

There is no North to space, that much is agreed, but it is generally acknowledged that a map in fact has a North. What you see in Rebellion is a representation of the star wars galaxy, so in a way, it is perfectly reasonnable to have North, though that is a matter of subjectivity. Anyway, in the end, I don't recall having kept any north :mrgreen: in my sector names. Also, a galaxy is spread on the 3 dimensions, so Rebellion one being in 2D, it is definitely a map and as such, must have a grid system that works with an equivalent of NSEW.

yeah, exactly, 2d representation to 3d space is very subjective. though its helpful tha the atlas has uniform maps with a north to space, but i'll just have to decide what picture to use as my galaxy background, then look at the spacing of my sectors. want to keep things as uniform and in tune with galactic maps from the essential atlas, but might have to just rotate things as a whole a bit for it to look nice. research is progressing, pretty much have the inner core and core worlds figured out. have to do some combining, but think i picked a good set of systems with important and recognizable planets to make things interesting and fun. now onto the colonies and beyond :P