Learning the ways of the force

I'm fairly new to this site, and I've been wondering--how do you gain rank? I don't want to be known as a cadet--I've been playing Rebellion since it came out.

Do I have to play online to rise in the ranks? I have dial up :oops: which is just sad. But the site history said that Rebellion.com has been around since '99, so can you play online with dial-up--its really now a very taxing game.

I'd love to see what you "admirals" have got. Bring it.

I'm fairly new to this site, and I've been wondering--how do you gain rank? I don't want to be known as a cadet--I've been playing Rebellion since it came out.

Do I have to play online to rise in the ranks? I have dial up :oops: which is just sad. But the site history said that Rebellion.com has been around since '99, so can you play online with dial-up--its really now a very taxing game.

I'd love to see what you "admirals" have got. Bring it.

This should be in the "Questions from Newbies" or "General Discussion" thread, but oh well. Rank on this forum is not based on your skill in the game at all, nor on how long you've owned it, nor even on how long you've been with the community (at least, so far as the little insignia goes). Rank is a function of the number of posts you make, and as you make more and more you gain rank.

Once you hit 2,000 posts there are no more ranks that can be assigned to you for increased posting, and one may create their own rank and rank insignia, hense Jedi Knight Jahled's forksaber, Raporan Dark Lord Mad78's weapon thingy, Ultimate n00b DarthTofu (me) with my bright, colorful, and M.S.-paint-made rank, etc.

Some members are from way back before this server was the standard one, and were part of a smaller community than this, thus they got their "old" ranks from the "old" forums back without having the posts to back 'em up.

Ultimately we really don't care about rank or post count too much, though- they're the butt end of jokes, but nobody is about to yell at you for voicing your own opinion when you have fewer pills in your rank than some other guy- they're buttons, and we don't illusion ourselves otherwise. In all reality the old hands, like Evaders, Jahled, and Krytos are probably the highest in terms of "rank," even though they haven't the most posts, just because they are the wisest in the ways of the Force.

Now, if it's ways of the Spam that you want, Mad78 and myself are your men, with Mad being the official Spam King and I the Spam Prince (We had the same number of votes for King, but I conceded the title to him when he changed the subject of the thread to Switzerland's economy even after I created the poll on the matter) :P

All-in-all, though, don't worry about the number of posts you have or the little picture next to your posts- both are immaterial 'round these parts.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away