I still play Star Wars Battlefront I

yup title says it all. Star Wars Battlefront I was perhaps one of the single best games that I have ever bought.

I've played most of the major fps out there: the half life series, quake 3, fear, the rainbow 6 games, and a bunch of less memorable ones, but Battlefront I has the best single player combat that I've ever played.

It's not that the bots are great--but they aren't bad. Sure you will kill a decent amount of them, but the bots are actually kinda decent at teamwork.

so.. does anyone else play battlefront anymore?

http://nordwindranger.com

I should really make a flashy banner

Uhm, yes, me. I´ve just bought it a couple of weeks ago for about 7 bucks on ebay in a new condition (!). I like it. It has nice graphics and the gameplay is ok. Allthough I still haven´t found out how to repair things, heal comrades or doing the rocket jump. :? But all in all I do prefer the Star Wars Mod for Battlefield 1942.

So how can I join a Battlefront-Server? I tried it, but allthough I´ve got an GameSpy-Account I failed to connect to any server, nor to see any.

Edited by Eagle
Who cares at all?! :roll:

The pilot character has the repair function and the heal function as its two secondary weapons.

you heal by throwing health packs at people. the ai is pretty good at doing this.

The rocket jump is performed by double tapping jump (spacebar?). This only can be performed with the dark trooper.

I haven't tried going online in forever. When I did I didn't use gamespy or anything, I just used the ingame multiplayer connector.

you can perform a roll by sidestepping and hitting jump at the same time

So I just have to stay nearby someone/something to heal/repair him/it? I don´t have to press any key??

Yes, I know, only Dark and ARC-Troopers are able doing the rocket-jump.

no, health is like grenades. the regular soldiers have two different types of grenades to throw, and pilots get to throw health/ammo packs (they look like small blue bacta tanks). the repair works just like firing a gun, only your using your "hydrospanner" or whatever

Well I tried to use all of them. But I never discovered how I can choose between the grenades neither I could use any tools or anything. If I choose the alternative weapon as a pilot my hand is empty. Curious. :?

Gotta try that next time. Thanks. :)

I´m just trying to finish the bespin-map in the galactic civil war-campagne. You really have to command your bots arround. I´ve allways tend to give some guys the order to defend a flag and, here you are, it´s much harder for the imps than to take it. :mrgreen:

Allthough I would like to experiment with all the soldier-classes you can play, I rather tend to play the ordinary stormtrooper/rebell soldier. All other classes may make sense in a multiplayer-battle, where there´s good teamwork. Playing on the separatists-side, I play the destroyer-droid. It´s fast, it has really powerful guns and it has shields. That´s a really good advantage to take/hold a flag. :twisted:

i just battled through one of the galactic-conquest campaigns as empire---man is that hard!

I can always win the tatooine maps, but the yavin maps are impossibly hard.

by the way, the button to change your grenade type is "g".

also note that you can crouch or go prone by pressing "c"

I ususally go stormtrooper or sniper.

what I've never figured out is how i can get 40 some kills and still lose the game. It's as if your team does worse the better you personally do.

Also the rebels seem to have a huge advantage because they have the wookies who have extremely high health, and their pilot has an uber-shotgun.

The best the imperials have is the dark trooper, but it is often hard to actually kill someone with his micro shotgun.

hey remember to get the two patches. they fix a couple bugs, and also improve the dark trooper jump recharge rate, and tighten the spread on his weapon a bit

I´ve just finished the Clone-Wars campaign, which wasn´t that hard to play. Except the Theed-Map, where you really have to be fast to get most of the flags and comand your bots arround that they defend it. I had to play it at least ten times untill I made it, because it was allways very close. Now I´m trying the Civil-War campaign, which started as easy like the other one. But now I stopped at the Bespin-Map, which seems to be as complicated as the Theed. :? It´s allways a close run, because the empire has more tickets and seem to be everywhere. The bots don´t work as good in these rather small rooms. I guess I have to play that map a couple of times again untill I´ll win it.

The Dark-Trooper is the fastest soldier-class for the empire, but his gun rather sucks, yes. I´ve discovered that there´s really no animation when you´re repairing something as a pilot. You just can see it in your shadow that you´re holding a lamp. :roll: But I still prefer the ordinary soldier-/stormtrooper-class.

Theed--yeah that one can be tricky. I usually try and get a vehicle and rack up about 20 or so kills just running over people/ shooting up turrents. I think its best to play a supporting role in that map, you can do really well being a sniper or a anti-vehicle trooper. Occasionally the enemy will competely leave a flag undefended on the side, and you can swoop in and cap it before they notice.

I hate the other gungan map. If your playing imperials you get swarmed by gungans. Its an open map, but every flag is super-defended with turrents.

It's almost as bad as my absolute least favorite map of all time: Kashycck Islands (spelling). The rebels get free wookies (super health tank uber-furballs) to help them, which is completely unbalanced. I always get absolutely raped on that map.

I think I got up to "yavin 4: arena" with the galactic civil war campaign, and just couldn't beat that map. The trick to it was capping the center flag, but the map is so tiny, its almost impossible to last more than a couple minutes.

I've always found the bespin map with the ties and xwings to be very hard. All of the troops are funneled down that center corridor, and it's just a huge meat grinder. The trick is to take a fighter and land on one of the more distant flags, take it, and then try and defend it for the game. If your a sniper, you can cover most of the map if you've got a steady hand.

For the bespin map without the vehicles, you can almost just make sure that you have an even amount of flags, and then just wear down the other side by attrition. It's really easy to get upwards of 50+ kills as a sniper on that map. Alternatively you can try and rush one of the upper flags early on, but it doesn't always seem worth it because you lose so many troops running down the hallways.

My favorite map has gotta be tatooine (with vehicles). Sarlacc pit + tusken raiders + speeder bikes== awesome.

I've never bothered to repair anything, because the bots seem to do a real good job of setting up turrents/repair on their own.

As far as the darktrooper goes, I usually just use the pistol. Once you get used to it, it only takes 3 shots in the head to kill someone, and the pistol is reasonably accurate at medium distances if you zoom in.

For the bespin map without the vehicles, you can almost just make sure that you have an even amount of flags, and then just wear down the other side by attrition. It's really easy to get upwards of 50+ kills as a sniper on that map. Alternatively you can try and rush one of the upper flags early on, but it doesn't always seem worth it because you lose so many troops running down the hallways.

Well the problem is that the bots aren´t good in defending the flags. They will do it untill they have been shot. After respawning they seem to do what ever they want again and are going to attack the opponents. So that flag is left undefended and free to be captured. :? But I will try playing the sniper in the next match.

My favorite map is the Geonosis-Map. Allthough I´m not a fan of Episode 2, it´s really brilliant. Because you also have to destroy the separatists ships and don´t just have to take flags. Both sides have interesting vehicles there, like the clone-transport and the spider-robot. It´s allways a hard match because of the flatness of this map.

I use to play the Anti-Tank on the Naboo-Fields Map, so it´s easier to take out the turrets and the shield-generators (the dinos). Just make sure to attack from behind (from north). There aren´t much Gungans defending there.

I played the Bespin-Map now for at least 30 times. The last times I tried to play as sniper, like you´ve suggested. Also as wookie and it´s still a close game. I allways fail to win this level and now I´m tired to play it again. So is there a cheat to get to the next level?

no cheats as far as i know..

try focusing on getting the three flags on the upper level of the map. If you get those three, you can pretty much sit and wait until the imperial reinforcements bleed out, as its hard to get them back if you have them all

No cheats? So I guess I have to leave that campaign behind, because you cant win this scenario with these bots. You may are able to take up to 5 flags. But the bots are unable to defend them properly. Allthough I order them to defend, once they have been killed, they won´t recognise that order after respawning again and leave the flag undefended.

Another thing is that the imps allways attack in groups of at least 5 bots. You may can kill three of them, but not more, because you can´t strafe in the corridors. BTW I´m not playing on "easy", I do play it on "medium". But I don´t like to start that game on "easy" again.

I´ve just heard about mods for that game. Has anyone a link to a good mod?

• 2 weeks later...
So I´ve finished the Galactic Civil War-Campaign. It took me lots of rounds until I´ve finished the Bespin-Map. :? But than on one day it all went well. Now I´m gonna conquer the universe with my droid-forces. :D

OMG!!! I didnt realize this forum was even being used until I was about to post a new topic today!

I also still play Battlefront. I have Battlefront II also, but I still prefer the first one, even though the second lets you play as main characters occasionally. Ive finished through the game as both the Imps and Rebs. I didnt like playing as the older stuff...just the Galactic Civil War.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

Oh sorry. I always forget that the same game is made for things other than the PS2. I didnt have it for the PC. I played it with my friend a few times, but that causes a split screen, which is never as fun.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

Well, nevermind. ;)

I´ve just downloaded the map-pack for BF1 a couple of days ago, which includes modded maps of fans. Some are really nice. One is a larger version of the Hoth-Map, which has rather the size of that epic battle-scenario. There are even more ATATs and much more Troops. :twisted:

• 2 weeks later...

I have just the first part of it.

After testing the maps of the community map-pack, I cannot recommened it. Allthough these maps are much larger than any of the originals they are indeed boring. I still prefer playing on the original maps.