Some farce Jedi Academy was...

I'm new to the forum so I want to try my hand at critiquing this game

Has anyone else played the swoop level and noticed how completely unrefined it was?

The combat model was fantastic, truly amazing, but it feels as if that the developers just up and quit after they got the fighting down.

does anyone else feel this way?

PS: I admit, rodian Jedi are the best

"I can feel your anger. It gives you focus. It gives you strength." - Nothing happens to Palpatine without him wanting it to...except getting thrown down that shaft ofcourse. Let's hear it for the Empire.

• SWR Staff - Executive
Yes, it was some lousy storyline, really driven more towards 'show off combat', add some missions to make the player do something. I wish the storyline were actually polished so the missions actually meant something. Each one was individually cool, but together they just don't give you the same immersion into an epic storyline that Star Wars is supposed to me. It might just be me though, I'm sure other people like it for other reasons, hate it for other reasons.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

• 4 weeks later...
I didn't think the story was that bad. I wish they would have gotten a better voice actor, and maybe gave you some more creatures to be. But I think the gameplay alone made the whole thing worth playing. I LOVED the swoop level. Especially when you hope off and force push the guys off the backs of their swoops.

• 2 months later...
I think the story line SUCKED! The game has nothing to do with the previous ones. OK, maybe "Mysteries of the Sith" was so-and-so, but "Academy" was even worse.. :( A poor ending to a wonderful series...shame,shame...

" The darkside? I've been there! Do your worst!.. " - Kyle Katarn

"Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic life-form?" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

http://img148.exs.cx/img148/6299/shuttle8xc.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
I wasn't really a fan of Outcast myself, thus I never risked Academy. The villain was ridiculous, and the acting was terrible compared to Dark Forces II. The gameplay was fine but other than that... Well it was bad. I can only imagine the flop Academy was if it was worse than Outcast... Anyways, I think I'm going to go stick my head in an oven on account of all the bad Star Wars games around nowadays.
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

Power battles kicked ass, I still play that game. It's so much fun... But Teras Kasi kinda blew chode... Anyways...
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

• 2 years later...

Darth_Gonzo here, new name, same jerk

I caught Nostalgitis for Jedi Academy after a while and bought the game again. Quickly I realized why I got rid of it 3 times

Awful, just awful graphically. And not just because it's an old engine. The lighting is good but only for the lightsabers. Otherwise they're sub par and add nothing to the environments or atmosphere. The game chugs, and has always chugged (this is on XBOX and now on XBOX360) on any situation where you're running. Worst of all I think was the level requiring you to zip around on a Swoop. You move smoothly for a second followed by a moment of freeze and so on

The mechanics are poor too. I can't count how many times I've fallen down a chasm to my death because while trying to jump to a nearby ledge I started walking along the wall like an idiot. There are just some things that shouldn't be in a Star Wars game IMO

Funny you say that because I just finished replaying Jedi Outcast and found it to have aged fairly well (the character models and combat animations especially seemed good given the game's age). Granted it's far from a perfect but overall I enjoyed replaying the game; was even stunned to see that folks are still playing it online!

I say this because I'd really suprised if Academy departed too much from Outcast's formula. Course I suppose this means I'll have to load up JA at some point and give it a play through again.

"It is such a quiet to thing to fall. But it is far more terrible to admit it."

• SWR Staff - Executive
Sadly, it does stray from Jedi Outcast on several points. While I don't think its graphically different, the cohesive linear storyline is replaced with some storyline missions spread with smaller random missions. The cameo voicecasting is nice, but I didn't feel so much into the game as I did with Outcast. I guess its both good and bad that you design your own Jedi, but it means there is less sense of who Jaden Korr is. No real background makes me care less about him.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

• 2 weeks later...

For the, at best, two folks who care I did play through JA again and I gotta say it holds up well but you had to like Outcast. Academy takes everything that was good about Outcast, lightsabers, lightsaber fights, force powers, level design, and gameplay and makes it even better. It also takes the worst parts of Outcast, the story, voice-work ( I went to the dark side just so I could kill Rosh (who ironically sounded much better when he was evil)) and makes it even worse.

For the record, I went crazy trying to figure to fight the two sabers in one enemies; especially the Jedi at the end of the game. Oh look I'm just going to spin my sword like a helicopter blade... BAM instant death even as my thrown saber goes right through you. And there was a huge bug in the tier one level about sabotaging the power plant were I could not end it. I eventually had to use the noclip cheat to finish.

It isn't that we don't care, Ceorl. It's just that some folks, myself included, can't really participate in the conversation, because we don't own the game. I played Jedi Outcast and loved it, though. Nothing quite so sweet as hacking off a Reborn's head with the saberrealisticcombat cheat! :twisted:

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

You know I should try that cheat in JA since you can get a saber lock that causes your sword to hit the neckline for an instant kill when you win. ;)