what do you think of Battlefront?

Guest JediIgor

Guest JediIgor

Well I got Battlefront for free today.. and it looks like I can play on any server.. I am really glad I didn't spend the $50 on it though, here's why:

Maps are too small, you can fly to the other side in literally 5 seconds.
    Flying is horrible, it's just WSAD, you can't pitch, roll, any of that good stuff.. and it doesn't look like you can control the rudder with the joystick (though I only tried keyboard so far).
    Classes are all pretty much the same, no real variety between factions.
    All the weapons are too weak (except for thermal det, which for some reason can't be cooked off).
    Dark trooper sucks.. you can't fly with jetpack like you would in SotE which makes it pretty much worthless since you only get one boost before you spend 20 minutes getting more energy.
    Dark trooper's "shotgun" sucks.. all your projectiles can hit a guy and he'll still live which makes it useless (by the time you get close enough, you're dead).
    Vehicle control is bad, when I turn my mouse I don't want the bottom part of the AT-ST to turn too.. geez.. (haven't tried the other vehicles yet)
    Snowspeeders tow cable on copilot a poor decision since most people online are too stupid to work together to bring down an AT-AT (happened to me, I spent 20 mins looking for a copilot, once got into someone else's snowspeeder but he'd never circle around AT-AT).
    No point in Pilot class since anyone can use the vehicles/ships.
    Not enough variety in vehicles.. where is the stuff from Force Commander? No tanks, no AT-PTs, no nothing of that stuff.
    Rounds are over too quick and the map changes after just ONE round is over.
    You don't feel like you helped win the map over because everything is so chaotic.
    Once again, the weapons are poor.. in Star Wars Luke and Leia killed like 20 stormtroopers, in Battlefront I'll be lucky if I kill 3.

I'll add some more stuff once I play it more :). Pretty big list for only playing it for 2 hours, eh?

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Team Members :

CONCEPTIONAL ART DEPARTAMENT - Cain, Mad78

WEAPONS DEPARTAMENT & MODELS - DeathSquire36

RDB II PROTOCOL DEPARTAMENT - Chimera[MIA]

CARDS & ART DEPARTAMENT I - NicFyyar

CARDS & ART DEPARTAMENT II - Crowin

PLAY BALANCE DEPARTAMENT & QA - Soltaris

SCENARIO DEPARTAMENT - Stellar_Magic

http://www.swrebellion.com/hosted/cain/images/RebDesBureau.GIF

Alright, you're all on crack, but here it goes:

1. Maps are too Small: Erm, they're larger than htose in any of the Battlefield games, and even more so compared to any FPS games you have out there. The reason you can get accross the map so fast is because a TIE Figther/Bomber/X-Wing/Y-Wing/Snowspeeder travels much faster than moder/historical aircraft. Try slowing down!

2. Flying is horrible: I agree that the lack of pitch and roll is bad, but overall the flying is better than anything in games so far. This isn't a flight sim, so don't go into it expecting flight sim controls. Mos ships in Star Wars perform more like a combination of a helocopter and a fighter, and I think they achieved that feel. The activating of the repulsorlifts using space is great.

3. Classes are all the same: Then why do some have missile launchers, sniper rifles and blast cannons? It's no different than the class system in every other game of this type. As a matter of fact, because there is a unique class for each side, it's ahead of the game.

4. Weapons are too weak: I agree to a degree. The wookies are way to hard to kill, but I think that the damage for other classes is spot on. You don't want a one-hit-kill system for a game like this. If it were, you'd be complaining about that. The damage for the vehicles is good too. None of the two hits and your toast stuff. It allows for strategy.

5. Dark Trooper Sucks: I agree with you here. It's a combination of his low heal (compared to other uniqe classes) and his crap gun. The Rebel pilot has a similar weapon, but it is more useful. Perhaps it takes some getting used to. As for the jet pack, if it were a full-out flying machine, it would be stupid. If you're getting into trouble, just fly away, get some health, and go back in. The way it is now forces you to have to think about wheather or not you really need to use it. Then again, most gamers don't like to have to think.

5. Vehicle Control is Bad: Again, it's no different from any other game. The fact that the whole AT-ST turns rather than just the head is of little importance. You still see what you're shooting at!

6. Snowspeeder Tow Cable: If they made it like all of the Rogue Squadron games where the pilot could shoot the tow cable, it would be a cop-out. If players can't co-ordinate online, that's because they're stupid. Don't blame LucasArts for stupid people.

7. No point to Pilot class: Yes there is! Pilots can repare vehicles (either with thier torch, or just by being in them) and can reconstruct destroyed static defences! What's useless about that!?

8. Not enough variet in Vehicles: Since most of the battles are based on the movies, any other vehicles would be studpid. There were no AT-PTs at the Battle of Hoth, nor on Endor. The fact that they give you the Tanks for the Imperials is variety enough. I again draw your attention to the Battlefield games. Not much variety in them, either, but they're great.

9. Rounds too short/only one round: Yes, that is a pain, but if you want two rounds, put hte map on twice.

10. Don't feel like you've helped win because it too chaotic: Gee, you mean like a war? I wonder why it would feel like that? This isn't Counter-Strike or DoD or Red Orchestra where the actions of one person can drastically ship the balance of the game. You have to work as a team to capture and hold pointes. If you do that, you've helped. Games like this go agains the typical gamer attitude of "ME" and force you to lok at "US". If you fail to do that, and the other team does, you loose.

11. Can only kill 3 People: Well, maybe you're not good at the game yet. On average I kill 30+ people/AI per game. I've got over 200 kills for 4 games. Again, you can't put the realism into a game like this, not at that level anyhow. Just practice.

12. Big list of 2 hours: That also means that you can't ahve explored all aspects of the game, so I'm sure some of those will be taken off. Maybe you're just trying to justify not paying for the game?

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Guest JediIgor

1. Nope.. maps are still too small.. try playing El Alamein (BF1942) with Desert Combat on and get into an F16 (which btw flies a lot faster than a TIE fighter..) and it takes you a few minutes to fly across the map instead of 5 seconds. It takes about 30 seconds (in desert combat) to fly across the smallest map in BF1942. If you haven't played Desert Combat then maybe you shouldn't start criticizing other games.

2. You remember playing XvT? Yeah, that's what it should've been like.. and yeah, why can't I stop in midair and use my repulsorlifts only? Stuupid.

3. Uhh.. I meant classes between factions are the same. The stormtrooper and rebel assault types (class #1) are completely the same except the model, likewise the rocket is the same, etc.

4. Spot on? I'd much rather like 2-3 shots (to the chest obviously) killing a guy. Of course this is taste.. but certain weapons i.e. shotguns are more unbalanced when it takes more damage to kill.

5. Ever play Jedi Academy? Remember how the Dark Trooper would always hover next to you and try to kill you...? Yep, that's what it should've been like (that's without mentioning Shadows of the Empire, which I did in an earliest post).

6. Uhh... in BF1942 the turret was independent of the main vehicle, you could be driving forward and your turret facing backwards... hell they did it in the movies with the AT-ST walking forward and head swinging left and right. (Other games to do this: UT2004, Red Orchestra, BFVietnam).

7. I can't blame them for stupid people but I might as well blame them for stupid decisions since they KNOW the majority of people online are stupid.

8. Thanks for telling me, it wasn't apparent at first.. but building static stuff is still stupid, I'd much rather have a portable engineer class like in TFC.

9. I don't remember that castle on the snowy planet being in a movie.. and it certainly wasn't EP3 since it was the GCW era. And having stuff OUTSIDE of the movie wouldn't hurt (like Battle of Tanaab, and other stuff alluded to in the movie).

10. If you put two maps in a row that's making up for the dev's stupidity, so it's definitely a problem with the game.

11. Well being in a "war" would be fine if you could actually kill people with a few shots and talk to them over microphone..

12. Uh.. that's 3 people before I die.. not 3 people per round.. ;). Of course once I realized there were medical droids I got that # up to around 5.

13. Actually I went back and edited that list after playing it for 3 more hours, I just forgot to change that #.

One more thing..

====================

Where are the space battles? Missing.

Where are the capital ships? Missing.

So if it was "movie" stuff they are definitely missing a lot of stuff.

I played a demo and loved it. I found the the smaller size of the maps encouraged ground battles. I falt really in the fight and it was great.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

1. Nope.. maps are still too small.. try playing El Alamein (BF1942) with Desert Combat on and get into an F16 (which btw flies a lot faster than a TIE fighter..) and it takes you a few minutes to fly across the map instead of 5 seconds. It takes about 30 seconds (in desert combat) to fly across the smallest map in BF1942. If you haven't played Desert Combat then maybe you shouldn't start criticizing other games.

Actually, I have played Desert Combat, and I agree that it is a good mod. That said, El Alimain is a HUGE map, I agree, but the maps in Battlefront are scaled for infantry combat, since that is what they have been, and still are, marketing it as. The focus isn't on the fighters. The only map I feel is too small, especially for the fighters, is the Dune Sea, but again, the focus is on the infantry. Oh, and the Ion engines of TIE fighter would blow an F-16 away.

2. You remember playing XvT? Yeah, that's what it should've been like.. and yeah, why can't I stop in midair and use my repulsorlifts only? Stuupid.

Well, it isn't lie WvT because it isn't a flight sim. If you want a flight sim, play XvT. And why can't you hover on your repulsor lifts? Well, first try using the Clone Army's gunboat, and then think about what X-Wings and TIE Fighters are. I'll give you a hint: FIGHTERS. Fighters don't hover and attack. If you turned on the repulorlifts for a vehicle without turrets, you'd move forward when you tilted down to shoot.

3. Uhh.. I meant classes between factions are the same. The stormtrooper and rebel assault types (class #1) are completely the same except the model, likewise the rocket is the same, etc.

Well, lets go back to your Dester Combat comparison. How big is the difference between the American classes and the Iraqi classes? Not much. They look different (like Battlefront), they use different but comparable guns (like Battlefront), and their weapons perform in a comperable manner. So, what makes this a bad thing in Battlefront, but alright in DC?

4. Spot on? I'd much rather like 2-3 shots (to the chest obviously) killing a guy. Of course this is taste.. but certain weapons i.e. shotguns are more unbalanced when it takes more damage to kill.

The damage system requires only slightly more damage to kill than other games of this type. Think of a blaster shot as being the same as a Thompson shot in BF 1942. Takes more than 2-3 bullets to kill some one in that game. It is the way it is for gameplay, not realism.

5. Ever play Jedi Academy? Remember how the Dark Trooper would always hover next to you and try to kill you...? Yep, that's what it should've been like (that's without mentioning Shadows of the Empire, which I did in an earliest post).

I'm starting to agree with you on this one. If you play as the Clone's you'll note that their Jet Trooper has a real jet pack, though only a limited ammount of time in the air. The Dark Trooper should have been like that, i agree (and with a better gun)

6. Uhh... in BF1942 the turret was independent of the main vehicle, you could be driving forward and your turret facing backwards... hell they did it in the movies with the AT-ST walking forward and head swinging left and right. (Other games to do this: UT2004, Red Orchestra, BFVietnam).

Well, from what I've seen, you have to use the straif buttons to get the AT-ST to turn, and the mouse turns only the head. Maybe I'm not turning the mouse far enough, but I can shoot to either side without the legs moving.

7. I can't blame them for stupid people but I might as well blame them for stupid decisions since they KNOW the majority of people online are stupid.

Think of how cheap it would be if the pilot could do everything himself. The AT-AT's wou't last long. Maybe you think that the AT-ATs requiring a co-pilot to fire the smaller lasers is stupid, or that the pilot of the Clone dropship can't fire all of the weapons, or that the tanks need two people to be effective. In my opinion, they've follows the movies the best they could without compromising gameplay. Also, maybe you're on the wrong servers, because I've played on on several servers playing Hoth, and I've had people wanting me to come back so they can get in the gunner's position.

8. Thanks for telling me, it wasn't apparent at first.. but building static stuff is still stupid, I'd much rather have a portable engineer class like in TFC.

A few more abilities would be nice. I thought that in TFC the engineers could build static guns, and that's it.

9. I don't remember that castle on the snowy planet being in a movie.. and it certainly wasn't EP3 since it was the GCW era. And having stuff OUTSIDE of the movie wouldn't hurt (like Battle of Tanaab, and other stuff alluded to in the movie).

Doesn't that map qualify as being outside the movies? You also have to look at this from a marketing perspective. EA didn't give you all of the battles from WW II in the first round, they held some back for an expansion. LEC will do the same.

10. If you put two maps in a row that's making up for the dev's stupidity, so it's definitely a problem with the game.

Remelber that the maps were designed to play in a pregressive manner. You start on the Naboo plains and fight your way to Theed. I always found the rounds in BF 1942 to make the game feel repetative, and that the second round was monotonous, but that is just my preference.

11. Well being in a "war" would be fine if you could actually kill people with a few shots and talk to them over microphone..

I agree about the mic. It would make gameplay more cooperative. Maybe in a patch.

12. Uh.. that's 3 people before I die.. not 3 people per round.. ;). Of course once I realized there were medical droids I got that # up to around 5.

Again, just practice. In one game I killed 60+ people and only died once. My mistake about your total score, though.

Where are the space battles? Missing.

Again, this is not about the space battles. It was marketed as a game focusing on the ground conflicts. If you were expecting space battles, it's your own fault for not researching it enough. Plus, the space aspect has been done to death. It's about time a good ground combat game was created.

Where are the capital ships? Missing.

Same as above. That, and they would unbalance things since you can't have two fleets in orbit. Glad they were left out.

So if it was "movie" stuff they are definitely missing a lot of stuff.

There is very little that is missing from the game that was in the movies. That's why they had to create some levels to create more game play.

In the end, you've the right to your own opinion, I respect it. I'm just putting up my opinion as well. People will just have to decide for themselves. Most, if not all, of the revies are good for the game, so I do encourage people to buy/rent it (rent rather than download. It costs less than buying, and is less illegal than downloading).

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

• 5 months later...

this game rocks, its great you can get loads of maps for it of the net some of which are massive... i think i have been playing it to much now..

i her storm troopers in my sleep, i imagine what would happen if i went to work with a type e11 blaster and killed my boss...

and every time i offer some one a lift in my car i find my self saying , mount up, pile in, .....

and i keep jumping of my mountin bike when i am going really fast and for some reason i think thats ok now and it wont hurt .... and if i does i can always respawn... lol

try the map packs that are out there its a great game..

• 5 weeks later...

I have played it once and it was with the Darktrooper class.

I was WAY disapointed. I remember Dark Forces, and The Darktroopers there are the ones that should be there. They changed the PLASMA CANON with a wimpy SHOTGUN, above all!!!!!

I wont play that game again. It tainted the Darktrooper legacy.

"May the force be with the pizza guy. I want it in less that 30 mins or less."

You can kill me later, thank you.

I want you to join KoC.

• 1 month later...
I think it's a great BETA for a game. I just now got it out of boredom. There's lots of things that need improved and the classes don't seem to work for me. Oh well, I think I'll start hunting for some mods... :idea:

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke