Bug : Golan III's

mrpp

Just built my first Golan III and it looks great.

Problem :- They can be moved from planet to planet (including right across the galaxy in 1 day) :!::!:

Had a look at RebEd and the Hyperdrive and manoeuvrablity are both set at 1. If you overwrite them to 0 they auto adjust in seconds.

Didn't someone have an old patch that you had to run to make a ship immobile during :?::?:

You need to run the Battle Station mod that sets the hyperdrive value to zero (0). It basically asks which "original" ship slots you want to have "zero-ed out". Caution: if you use RebEd, you must re-run the Battle Station mod. For some reason RebEd will NOT allow any ships's hyperdrive value to be zero. Another word of warning, watch which ship position you swap with the Golan III. I swapped out the rebel gunship with the Golan III, and the Golan III always attacked fighters and NOT capital ships. I believe this has something to do with the "AI" factor that can NOT be seen, nor editted by RebEd. You have to use the old SWEditor to edit the value; and I'm not sure that even works the way it's supposed to :?
Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Generally with rebed, you can get past its forced values by changing it to the value you want on whatever object you want, not clicking on any other box in that page, then switching to another object or window and never going back to that page. I've used it on weapon and tractor beam ranges for ships (thats when I discovered what happens when a tractored ship tries to hyper!), jedi levels on characters, and the number of starting mines for Coruscant or the Rebel base. You can only change one value per object this way, and if you look at its stats again you have to change it again, but it works!

I had wondered about that 1 hyperspace speed... didn't even think that it was because I made the mistake of looking at it.

Ah yes, keen eye you have there. I had only recently figured that out myself after reading this thread and poking around inside rebed with a hex editor. There were no minimum and maximum levels identified that I could locate so I assumed the limitation had to be imposed by the style sheets used in the interface. Editing those is a bit more difficult :(

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

• 3 weeks later...
It seems to me the Golan occupies the spot that'd previously gone to the Liberator Cruiser, which is a pure combat ship and should therefore be safe to assign the immobile values to? Also, this means that everytime I bring up RebEd I should always run the Battlestation mod immediately afterwards?

It seems to me the Golan occupies the spot that'd previously gone to the Liberator Cruiser, which is a pure combat ship and should therefore be safe to assign the immobile values to? Also, this means that everytime I bring up RebEd I should always run the Battlestation mod immediately afterwards?

That's correct! RebEd (for whatever reason; it's in the programming) does some kind of a check and will NEVER let a ship be "hyperspace disabled". No matter what you change, as soon as you run RebEd, all your hyperspace values are checked and zero values adjusted. ALWAYS run the Battlestations mod after RedEd, IF you have ships with designed hyperspace disabled.

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

That's correct! RebEd (for whatever reason; it's in the programming) does some kind of a check and will NEVER let a ship be "hyperspace disabled". No matter what you change, as soon as you run RebEd, all your hyperspace values are checked and zero values adjusted. ALWAYS run the Battlestations mod after RedEd, IF you have ships with designed hyperspace disabled.

Awesome, that's half the battle won! Also Tex, your idea for "moving" unfinished Golans is pretty genius and doubly handy since it's assured the AI isn't "smart" enough to use it to spam the relatively cheap yet powerful battlestations all over the place. While on the topic, I assume the only viable combat strategy if you have a defending fleet with a Golan in it is to set the fleet to "defend" the station, making the ships and fighters stay close to it and forcing the attackers to approach?

... While on the topic, I assume the only viable combat strategy if you have a defending fleet with a Golan in it is to set the fleet to "defend" the station, making the ships and fighters stay close to it and forcing the attackers to approach?

Basically "yeah". The AI always attacks the most powerful ship in your fleet en mass (sometimes going after the ship that has your fleet admiral, assuming you have one). Sometimes this is the same (your fleet admiral is usually on your most powerful ship). So, depending on what other ships are in your fleet, they could all be gunning for your Golan.

• 1 year later...

The old SWREditor does work, and the AI value does have an effect when you modify it. That's how you get the AI to run away every time they see your fleet of medium transports coming in... :lol:

Seriously though, I did some experiments with the AI value, but I don't remember my conclusions. I seem to recall that it might have effected what the AI builds, or when they run vs. stay and fight, or possibly both. I can't recall exactly what it did, but I do remember it DID do it.

Run a test (like setting a medium transports AI value super high) and figure out what the AI does with it. That will answer the question. And maybe afterward you could remind me what I used to know... :oops:

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"