Modifications to the executable.

budious

Just curiousity, which tools were you using to modify the rebexe.exe? And what specifically did you change to to adjust the movie location without forcing the cd check? I assume resource hacker is the tool of choice here?

I'm just exploring some other possibilities with the technical aspects such as an integrated .iso which installs everything premodded from disk.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

Resource Hacker, Hex Editor, and PE Explorer which combines a resource hacker and hex editor into a single product and dissembles rebexe.exe better than anything else I've found so far. It at least gave me a pretty decent decoding of string names.

Speaking bluntly, to modify the movie directory you had to edit the TooBigLocation which is hard coded along with the Encyclopedia Location registry location to the destination of the cd check, ie. CDROM. Basically, as Reloaded is now you are passing out a cd crack so lets not bother hiding the fact. The capability of editing the movie directory opens up the capability of changing the hard coded location of the registry key checks which means you can create a separate branch in the registry, thus opening yourself to creating a separate installation directory on the disk. If these changes are made we (or I) can make a distributable .iso for direct installation of the modded files without patching over the existing Rebellion. Thus, Rebellion and Reloaded exist side by side and are exclusive to each other.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

Well, it's here, check the thread "Rebellion Refreshed and Reloaded Ultimate Package"

I apologize to the Reloaded crew, after looking more closely at your script I realize that your cd crack is unintentional and a fluke but is totally required for your custom movies to work :(

I guess my issue with this was my work on x64 installer being tolerated only through back channels because it distributes too much of the original game content and the blunt 'no help for new users requesting a copy of the game' attitude around here and then to allow the mod team to release a cd crack was totally hypocritical in my opinion.

No, we did not hand out a crack, period.

A crack enables you to play a game you don't legally own, since for example you don't have the original cd, run afoul of copy protection, etc...

The installer requires you to have the original Rebellion cd and checks the game exe for that in some places (no, not all, before some smart-alek asks...).

The C code overwrites a few bytes in the .exe and generates specific registry files for your installation, to point it to the harddrive for playing the movies.

Sheesh, I've heard nobody talking about a crack with mods like Freeworlds and from what I saw, that part of the mod wasn't necessary the way this game is set up :evil:

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif