28 members have voted

1. 1. Empire at War? How good or bad?

• 1, very bad
    • 2, bad
    • 3, ok
    • 4, good
    • 5, very good

Hi everyone,

I'm back just for one question, has anyone tried Empire at War. How was it, God or bad :):( ?

I hope I am not repeating an old post, but I tried locking for a topic concerning that game and found none.

Hello stranger! :)

I haven't played it, and quite frankly feel the urge to play it less and less the more I read concerning it. The amount of people 'rediscovering' Rebellion through experiances of torment playing the game might lend some weight to this. The developers apparently really listened to what the fans wanted. :lol: It really turned out to be Rebellion II! :lol:*

Not knocking anyone who enjoys it though. Just doesn't sound like my cup of tea... :)

*Just remembering all the trolls over the last year

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

i´m quite satisfied with the game, makes a lot of fun at first. got it two or three days ago.

sometimes it´s not realistic, for instance soldiers with missiles don´t really give damage to stormtroopers, my beloved AT-AT´s are bad against soldiers at all and it´s too difficult to stop some fighters in space with your capital ships - but that´s what keeps the strategy alive. and there are missing some important characters. for instance leia. and luke is only fighting as and with a part of the red squadron.

oh AND you can conquer a planet only with obi-wan kenobi and han solo + chewbacca and I´m sure you could do the same ONLY with obi-wan. high-quality graphics (when you have a computer that´s good enough, mine isn´t really but it´s good enough)

that are the points i´m remembering now. i´m sure there are some more things...

do you want to know something else or special?

Sachsen-Anhalt : Wir stehen früher auf !

• SWR Staff - Executive
* notes new forum this has been moved to...

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

I have it since two weeks now, i bothers me that there are no Super-Stardestroyers in the game and even the B-Wing is missing. The Graphics are the best of the game i even like to shot down part of systems of spacestations or bigger Ships like the Star Destroyer to make them defenceless, but there are not much units in the game just a Handfull. If i compare it wit Star Wars Battleground or Rebellion.

Without a Superstardestroyer it does not fell like Star wars to me :cry:

Perhaps there is a possibity to mod the game to get more units in :D

Oh its very easy to do that, but until the editors come out in a couple of weeks we wont be able to make more models for them. But you can reuse models and make completly new units.
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3488/zersigef1.jpg

Hello stranger! :)

I haven't played it, and quite frankly feel the urge to play it less and less the more I read concerning it. The amount of people 'rediscovering' Rebellion through experiances of torment playing the game might lend some weight to this. The developers apparently really listened to what the fans wanted. :lol: It really turned out to be Rebellion II! :lol:*

Not knocking anyone who enjoys it though. Just doesn't sound like my cup of tea... :)

*Just remembering all the trolls over the last year

lol After hearing all the bugs in Empire At War I turned to Amazon and read customer reviews of the game. Although most gave a positive feedback I came across a post which mentioned Rebellion. A game with a similar concept but with more planets, superstar destroyers and characters from EU caught my interest. Since then I’ve not bothered to get EaW and brought Rebellion off Ebay. Should be arriving first thing tomorrow. Can’t wait! :D

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banner_be.gif

yeah some ships are missing. that´s it. much to less (or many ? countable or not :roll::?::?: ) units.

graphic rulz ^^ I played from 9:00 am until now to conquer a galaxy with 43 planets :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

Sachsen-Anhalt : Wir stehen früher auf !

I played it, and I have to say that its a better game out-of-the-box than Rebellion. The lack of SSDs is annoying, but the ground battles make up for it. I miss diplomacy and recruitment. Heck, I miss Rebellion's superior mission system, but Galactic Conquest is so much more fun than Rebellion, overall.

I do miss the modability of Rebellion as opposed to EaW. So far I've been unimpressed by the modability of EaW. In Rebellion, you could change the characters to make it a non-Star Wars game. I dont think you can do that with EaW because of the hero units, or if you can, not as easily.

Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

All you have to do to add a unit is copy another and paste it, then make the changes you want. You cant even add anything in Rebellion, plus there is more easily edited.

Not quite what I'm talking about. Sure its easy to give the Rebels AT-ATs or Star Destroyers, but in Rebellion, you could edit cards to turn Darth Vader into Golgoth:

http://www.brokenfrontier.com/ektron-content/golgoth_0103.jpg

In EaW, doing something like that would be near impossible unless you're a talented modeler

Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

• SWR Staff - Executive

EaW is set between Ep 3 and Ep 4. So no SSD or any other units.

Will have to wait for an expansion or the modders to add them

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

• SWR Staff - Executive
I think the issue is, can you add a new model easily? Or is it still using the ISD 1 model?

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

You have to wait till they release the modding tools to do that, they are releasing the Importer with it. In a couple of weeks they say. At least you can add new models :roll:. And all you have to do is place them in the ART/Models folder and tell a unit to use it.

Well hopefully the son-to-be relleased modding tool will allow for the addition of SSD's, B-wings, and which I think is a big oversight... Luke as a plaable ground character - Lightsaber and Thermal Detonators should be his specials...
Mooninites Unite!!!

• 11 months later...

Ive finaly played the demo of EAW...... yeah, sry it dont do it for me, I dont have the next112 hours to fight ground battles as well! Ha!, and I never cared for that ground battle "System" you see in so many other games. Sry to all if ya love it, to each his own, I know

it's just so annoying for me, And mostly I miss the several characters, that you can change entirely or just slightly, I prefer the old space battles as well, I understand they give so much more room for strategy but I dont care to waste that much more time than the original. It has it's eye candy, its neat things, ...I dont know. I would just encourage those working on reloaded not to push it to the side because of some hope we'll actualy get the ability to mod any way we want for EAW.

LucasArts should license the Star Wars IP to Sega so they can develop a game around the Total War series engine the game would be kickass. This game was too bland and I hate fixed camera perspectives, Total War lets me ignore the other 2000 guys on the field and zoom in on those knights dualling it out on the walls...

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

I got Empire at War earlier last year, then I got the Forces of Corruption expansion when it came out. There are some things about it that I like, and others I do not.

For example:

Things I don't like:

- You can have only so many ships on screen in space battle.

- Heroes can't use their special abilities against other heroes. Example, Vader can't use Force Push against Luke Skywalker, but he can use it against a regular soldier.

- No missions, such as diplomacy, sabotage, espionage, etc.

Things I do like:

- More action.

- A 3rd faction is included with the expansion. Plus, the game can be modified to add more factions.

Note: In the expansion, Luke Skywalker is available as a ground unit. The Super Star Destroyer is available too, as is more characters such as Grand Admiral Thrawn.

http://www.geocities.com/xenogears23/Jokersinsigmgs.jpg

"Life is hard. After all, it kills you." - Katharine Hepburn

What? No SSDs in EaW (The regular version)

N()()()()()000000000OOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!1oneeleventy-one!

*Sigh* I'm splitting the "Best of PC" pack with a friend, and I already called dibs on EaW since he has his sights set on KOTOR I (I already have it, but he doesn't know that. Gives me more bargaining weight if I pretend it's hard to give it to him :wink: )

Ah well... Here's hoping it's still decent. The demo was good, at any rate. I'll see how it is in about a week... Maybe I'll fork up an extra twenty so that I can get the expansion...

Speaking of which: Can you play the game with only the expansion CD in the drive, or do you need the game CD in the drive?

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

• 3 months later...

I got it, its, OK. I highly dislike the smallness of the maps. Especially space, asteroids make it near immossible to move your capital ships, and the AI that moves them is stupid and will always take the long way. Not to mention that the auto-resolve is ridiculous, I once lost 3 VSDs and 2 ISDs to a correllian gunship, marauder cruiser and space station level 2.

And the AI is stupid. The game I'm playing righ tnow - I built up a 30 strong capital fleet w/ deathstar, and turtle-tanked Byss to make a stand. I have left all planets (with the exception of Kuat) 100% undefended. Over the course of 50 days, ( An excessivly long time ) The rebels haven't taken all of them yet.

Game speed set to fast. AI set to hard.

At the beggining of the game, the pirates are far harder than the enemy faction. In space they have more ships, on land more units.

It moves too fast, and is too small - I didn't and probably am not gonna get the expansion. Still, its enjoyable to a degree....

Edit: Oh, I forgot. If you Deathstar a planet, and don't build a space station, the AI will continously move units one or two at a time through it, constantly gaining and dropping control of the system. What this means is that your droid will report every change, and they do it multiple times a second, so its constantly going "Boop Boop Boop Boop Boop". Whats worse is that it gets backlogged, even if you take the planet, the droid will continue giving updates that were happening too fast for it to report.

• 4 months later...

I picked this up in hopes that it would be more like Rebellion then Star Craft. Alas, this was not the case. I've never been a big fan of RTS games like star craft, though I did play it only with friends. The ground missions in EaW are just too annoying for my taste, and pretending to be a fleet commander is ruined when I have to micro-manage troops on the ground. It also goes against all of my managment experience which subconciously bugs me.

I'll be sticking to Rebellion I think.