Do you plan to purchase a copy of EaW?

budious

Do you plan to purchase a copy of EaW?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to purchase a copy of EaW?

• Yes, already own it.
    • Yes, but not yet.
    • Undecided.
    • No, I will not buy it.

This thread is a show of hands about how many have made the plunge and who hasn't. I am still undecided. List your reasons for purchasing or deciding not to.

I am skeptical about purchasing it because my friend picked up a copy the first week but had all sorts of issues with installing on it his system. The copy protection mechanism is not friendly to Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools. We eventually removed both and cleaned the registry and eventually the game worked for him.

I wish more developers would push online activation or "steam" distribution systems. The mobile gaming market is expanding at a rapid pace. Laptops with the newest GPUs are becoming mainstream. Developers need to shy away from forcing the paying customers from needlessly toting cd cases around. All modern games utilize full installs, there has to be a better solution than CD protection. Most laptop gamers choose to load iso images as virtual drives and SecuRom7 is not helping sales (show me any proof that curving piracy increases sales... i.e. RIAA cannot do not do so either) and actually alienates mobile users.

Kudos to Valve for "steam" (HL2, CS:S, DoD:S) and to ID Software who while requiring a cd check on retail version of Doom3, disabled it in 1.1 patch. Their solution slows the piracy rate at release of title and by releasing a patch allows legitimate users to enjoy the game freely without toting a Doom3 cd everywhere shortly afterwards.

Proud NVIDIA 7800 GTX GO Laptop User

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy