Is SW: Empires at War the new Rebellion game?

Slocket

Is the new game coming in Feburary 2006 "SW: Empire at War" a rebirth of Rebellion with galatic conquest and new graphics and a AI with a brain?

Or is it just another RTS with a bunch of canned missions for galactic conquest?

So many of the previews never talk about the gameplay for single player. Alll they care about it seems is the eye candy and if it has multiplayer.

I hope it is a strategic random type game like Rebellion was. Will they ever release the source code for it -or is Empire at War its true ressurection?

I have a program that can reverse the code into 'assembler' language. That is stuff us old dudes worked with long time ago. It can help you change hard coded stuff in game. But it is a pain to read it!

• SWR Staff - Executive

My answer is still a firm no. Everything I've seen so far, EaW is a traditional RTS with the "Star Wars" label. Does it mean it won't be good? Of course not. Is it Rebellion though? No.

And no, they wouldn't release the source code. This is LucasArts publishing the game afterall.. it just won't happen.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

It should be similar to Rebellion but without some important parts. No giving characters missions, for example. You can't name your ships. Stuff like that. You get ground battles and hero units, though, but you can't get the fun of doing assassination missions
Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

I see.... :?

But does it not seem like Rebellion, but watered down of course?

It has about 40 planets to conquer, but I think it is like the Command and Conquer series. You do make decision on what planet you will attack, and gain more resource and bonus. At the same time I guess the AI is doing it to you. A 'controlled' psuedo-branching campaign to look like a real AI.

I think they wanted a Rebellion like game, but too lazy to program a decent AI. Maybe it is just impossible to make a good AI. I find that hard to believe; but now a days, the publishers will just make eye candy and stuff it out the door -promise the world. Then you get it and it is just average again.

In an earlier preview a long time ago, it was going to be similar to Rebellion galactic domination, now it seems it has been stripped down as said, to a RTS. No more 'missions', simplified planet building. Alot of stuff is getting cut it would seem.

But they sure do tout it as being the described as a "Rebellion 2" :?: We got a decent AI and more graphics now. Confusing.

It should be similar to Rebellion but without some important parts. No giving characters missions, for example. You can't name your ships. Stuff like that. You get ground battles and hero units, though, but you can't get the fun of doing assassination missions

:arrow: Rung - you can give missions to your characters - like diplomacy for example .... also it has 80 planets. Btw what do you think Boba Fett will do ? Diplomacy ?! ;)

try this guys :

http://swempireatwar.10.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=2

:arrow: EAW has almost all the aspects from SWR but also brings more ... to avoid the young player getting bored. Yeah you could call it SWR II since if you will start to do SWR II and still want to sell it you will end up with the same stuff that you have in EAW....I think.

:arrow: The battles are very intense and they remaind me of Warcraft 3 but you also have the persistant universe. Etc.

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

Thanks for the new information Cain, and all. I hope it turns out well.

I still play Rebellion after 6 years....just found this site and this RebEd Editor 8O . Wow, it really makes for a more challenging game! :D

I think they could make SWR 2 more of a strategy game, with RTS.

EAW has alot of RTS in it. Should be fun. But I hope for a SWR 2 with good strategy game.

:arrow: You will never get a SWR2 :) so you will have to go with EAW. It should be ok.

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

Under the heroes section I see powers like "sabotage." Are these the missions? Will we get to send Han Solo, for example, to another system to sabotage enemy ships without committing our other forces there? In short, will the mission system be like that of Rebellion?
Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

Guest JediIgor
Toguro, it probably means like in C&C where you can run up to a vehicle and have your character sabotage the enemy vehicle during ground combat.

This thread is just old... If you'd look at who is posting in both those forums you'd quickly find that its the same people on both sites.

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

• 2 months later...
What is definetly missing in EAW is the diplomacy factor from rebellion. This is disapointing as it was a critical and fun part of rebellion. It controlled or effected the way you played the game. I could go on about other things but this is the main thing I think EAW is lacking.

It's not Rebellion 2 and nor should it be titled such. It's all the things Rebellion never had and all the things Rebellion had would not fit with it's gameplay... it has an AoE3 feel to it, less resource management but a similar all out battle feel. It's entertaining without being dull... yet you can have fun in a short game or play for hours... we'll see how the multiplayer aspect plays out.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

The most challenging part of Rebellion, the planning of offensives during like 100 turns, is completely absent from EAW. In Rebellion, when you finally get an ISD into a system, it shifts the balance of power in the area. In EAW, it's just another ISD...

So to be short, all the cunning part, the smart part, the diplomacy part, the strategy part, the spying part... all that is GONE and is not in EAW. EAW is a nice and lovely RTS GAME, with a minimal campaign layer (like Rome TW) while Rebellion is a campaign game with a basic battle mode.

I still have dreams about a possible Rebellion 2, but given the no-risk stance in game design currently, that will never happen. We'll have to do it ourselves and wait with kids' games like EAW meanwhile...

Pierre,

Always up for a rebellion game,

Hardly waiting for a rebellion 2.

I hear you. EAW is pretty much "Comand and Conquer" in space with a Star Wars flavor.

It may be a 'fun' RTS for sure (only one I will buy this year), but it is very much dumbed down compared to Rebellion.

I think I may just learn some more programming and make a Rebellion style II game, but a little different so they cannot say I stepped on their SW liscense.

I would like to play a modern, well made Rebellion II before I die. (No kidding, getting older). :?

Lucas won't come after you if you use the SW universe, unless you start making money out of it. So get on it dude ! :) I'll beta test.

Pierre,

Always up for a rebellion game,

Hardly waiting for a rebellion 2.

I would like to play a modern, well made Rebellion II before I die. (No kidding, getting older). :?

Me too. :)

There was once, in the days of C&CII, talk of Star Wars mod that never happened. It would have been cool. But C&C and Rebellion are completly different games in gameplay. Hence my luke-warm perception of other's excitment, and constant insistance, that EaW is some kind of Rebellion 2. From all i've seen, read, and understood, it is simply a differant game, devoid of the elements that make Rebellion gameplay unique in it's own experience.

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

• 4 weeks later...