Empire at War = Reb 2

GenGinter

Who here will buy EAW?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who here will buy EAW?

• Who you kiddin? I already Got it Preordered!
    • I don't have it preordered yet but I will!
    • Yes I will buy it the day it comes out!
    • No, i'll stick to old school Rebellion!

Basically it is the next step. Though they dont say Rebellion 2...went to lucasarts a few weeks ago to check up on any new games....and i clicked on Eaw. I'm glad I did. I startin thinkin it reminded me of a old school game....lol REBELLION....I lost it years ago but I wanna play it again just ordered it online from starwarsshop.com yesterday =). Though 37 bucks for it though damn....ANYWAY EAW is reb 2 and i can't wait for it....Who else here will upgrade to EAW?

• SWR Staff - Executive

Empire at War is not going to be a Rebellion 2 sequel. It is a totally different gameplay and design.

Yes it is an RTS, and yes its Star Wars. But it is not Rebellion.

(Doesn't mean I won't be playing it. But a fanboy response isn't going to do anything)

Please note: there is an Empire at War area on our forums.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

lol it basically is based on Rebellion. Total Galaxy Domination. Let me make a few points here....rebellion thousands of ships fighting in space though very limited on the actual fighting......EAW thosuands of ships fighting in space (Gives a whole new meaning of fighting to Rebellion players).....Main point of game Domination. Except in this game you get to control alot more then in Rebellion. The game play is expanded, to where you get to control every battle aspect. The game doesn't need to have the name rebellion 2 or any "Sequel" title to the name for the basics of this game to come from Rebellion. Any if you have any actual gameplay information that isn't on the lucasarts website that says the gameplay design is for or against my theory (Which i would hope that the actual concept game design comes from Rebellion) "it is totally different gameplay" then please inform us all. "and design." You mean 3d graphics....(Which btw looks insane to see those crazy space battles...) or the ground fighting in which you can actually do in this game? or that you can use the jedi's or characters in the ground battles also...dont know about space battles....maybe they will let you use them in space too....lol but anyway. "Doesn't mean I won't be playing it. But a fanboy response isn't going to do anything" Ouch, with the 'fanboy' remark. though... I Don't know how i earned that but since I did earn it... (The thinking you know more about the concept of the gameplay response isn't going to do anything either.) also This is the General discussion forum and, so ... this draws the most posts and posters so, to get a bigger better view on who is going to get the game, and who isn't... I posted it in here opposed on posting it in the EAW forum where the view point would be limited to those who will probably get the game... I just wanted a general opinion instead of a EAW Fourm opinion.

Please note: I'm not hardlining you or trying to discredit you or disrespect you in anyway. I am just A. replying to your post and B. telling you why I decided to post here instead of the EAW forums. I also think its cool that you guys set-up a website for the game rebellion and the players...

Hey, another Floridian on the site! W00t! I'm deffintately going to do Empire at war, but if the game turns out to be a bunch of crap and propaganda where the tanks blow your own characters up and it has all of the issues that I had with Age of Empires, I'll be freakin' pissed. I still think I'll put in the ocassional Rebellion spree at 11:00 on a school night or something, though. :lol:

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

• SWR Staff - Executive

As far as I've seen, Empire at War is using the standard RTS model in the way of Age of Empires, Starcraft, CnC, etc. Yes you have ground battles and space battles. But the actual scope of the game is very limited, you control much less than Rebellion. 40 planets versus 200 in Rebellion. While there are "hero" characters, it will not play out the same way as Rebellion. Nor have I seen any indication of "thousands" of units.

I've seen no indication that there will be a mission system like in Rebellion, nor a true 3D battle environment like in Homeworld or Rebellion. Rather, every indication is that it is a planar environment.

If you're expecting Rebellion, this isn't it. But every indication is that it will be a good RTS game, probably the first RS hot game for LucasArts.

* Moved to the Empire at War forum *

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

The camera footage I have seen of it makes it seem that it isn't a planar fightining.

And I know you get diffrent camera angles when you follow specific areas of the battle. It looks very cinematic.

And the game play looks much better/more strategic then Rebellion. You can target specific areas of ships to knock out guns or shields ect.

Also, reading about possible MODing capabilities of it, it seems reasonable that more planets/factions can be added.

Will have too see when more info comes out about MODs as the release date grows nearer.

• SWR Staff - Executive
All of the previews have said the capital ships fight on one plane and the fighters fight on another plane.

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

:arrow: Ohhh for God sake - Evaders pls. add this videos on our site also for availeble for download (I mean SWR).

:arrow:

http://www.empireatwar.net/fall2005/community/trailers/index.htm

:arrow: This way we stop the - "How EAW will be questions" on SWR topics and move them to EAW topics.

:arrow: Anyway I can't host such movies since I don't have space http://swempireatwar.10.forumer.com/index.php we are only a forum :( .

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

I too have heard that it will take place on several 2-D planes in space fighting. I believe it is mentioned somewhere in an old issue of PC gamer. At least according to my friend who gets the magazine- I'm too cheap to actually buy it. lol.

12/14/07

• 4 weeks later...

Space battles will be in 2.5D.

All capital ships (as in, not a fighter class) will move on the same plain, except when avoiding colliding into other capital ships.

Fighters move more freely around the ships.

http://www.lfnetwork.com/images/lfnlinker.gif

Star Wars: Empire at War.Net Moderator

&

SWGalaxies Moderator

Co-Leader of The Affiliates! -A-

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!

- May the pants be with you!

• SWR Staff - Executive

Well that clears that up.

I'm still saying its not a true Rebellion sequel unless it has full 3D combat. Tactical mode needs to be like Homeworld. It seems to be rather focused strictly on RTS, in the lines of C&C, rather than the 4X design. Mostly what I've seen so far takes me to LOTR: The Battle for Middlearth game. Yes there's a map of sorts to conquer, yes there's some persistance in units and so forth, but overall it plays just like any other planar RTS game. That is not what Rebellion is. :)

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

Don't kill me for saying this, but the one thing that always annoyed me about Rebellion was the overwhelming number of planets! There are like, what, over 200 in a small galaxy, I think! Empire at War sort of addresses that issue, though not really. 30 planets is far too few- I would settle with something around 50-60 just so that when you're starting to get bored and its really apparent that you're going to win you do.

12/14/07

But all those planets are great!!!!!!!!!! That's what make's the game so awesome. But it's only cool for Rebellion. In Rebellion, you only have to worry about tactical space battles. But in a game where you have to play space AND land battles, then anything over, say, 75 planets is just plain insane in the membrane.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

:arrow: You know what amuses me the most in the EAW "debates" ?!

:arrow: The fact that you will all play it and mod it like crazy in the future :)

:arrow: Hell ... you will even go to bed with your EAW copy, especially the Rebellion fans. Ahhhh I can't wait to see Evaders after February :) it was him anyway who switched my attention to eaw in the first place.

:arrow: ... ahhh I wish I could quote here some emails :(

But all those planets are great!!!!!!!!!! That's what make's the game so awesome. But it's only cool for Rebellion. In Rebellion, you only have to worry about tactical space battles. But in a game where you have to play space AND land battles, then anything over, say, 75 planets is just plain insane in the membrane.

:arrow: We made so much lobby for more planets than 40 that we finally got them. I do estimate a number around 60-70.

:arrow: ... and to end this planet debate - you can mod as much planets as you want (the game is extremly modable btw) - still a limit should be in - but I do think it will be around 100 or 120 modable planets.

You really have to wait until the game is out before you can make claims about it's moddability. The C&C Generals community was hyped about Battle for Middle Earth, and one particular mod group had halted development on their Generals mod and began making new things for the next game. Guess what happened: the game wasn't moddable because the company had excluded many of the features to make mods possible.

I for one still askcribe myself to the "wait and see" group. Usually when a game looks really good, you're let down in the end.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

DarthTofu wrote:

Don't kill me for saying this, but the one thing that always annoyed me about Rebellion was the overwhelming number of planets! There are like, what, over 200 in a small galaxy, I think!

There are exactly 200 in the large galaxy. I think I'll kill you now ... for "thinking" :lol:

I'd rather have even more systems to make the game more strategic (core, middle rim and outer rim). The more places the rebels have to hide the better the taste of victory when I wipe them out :twisted:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Yeah, but don't you get even kind of bored when you have, like, twenty fleets of SSDs and such and about 10 systems left to search, occupy, and turn to your side?

12/14/07

Not really. I usually concentrate on the core first, and those outer rim sectors "closet" to the core, and then when I get "bored" I check the rest of the outer rim :wink:
Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

• SWR Staff - Executive
You don't get bored when you're conquering the entire galaxy.. :)

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

You don't get bored when you're conquering the entire galaxy.. :)

Maybe you don't... For me, it get's rather repetatively redunadant. :lol:

12/14/07

DarthTofu wrote:

... For me, it get's rather repetatively redunadant.

That's the difference between the younger and older generations. It reminds me of the story of the two bulls on the ranch (1 young & 1 old).

Adn that story would be...? The old one get's shot because he's big and fat while the young one beats the living crap out of the slaughterhouse worker before running off to be free, starting his own computer company (Microsoft, named for his wife and with her complection) and becoming a multi-billioniare? :D

12/14/07

I'm with Tofu on this one. Once you've obliterated the Alliance HQ (and consequently fought their big fleet), the game is pretty much over. Everything else is just time, in my opinion. Thats usually why I always play HQ only victory. That and I can win in 35 days as the rebs
Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

DarthTofu wrote:

Adn that story would be...?

The young bull says to the older bull, "Hey, let's run over to the next pasture and have our way with a cow" (I'm trying to keep this clean, for the younger bulls, ... I mean viewers :) )

The older bull looks over at the younger bull and says, "How about we walk over to the other pasture and have our way with ALL the cows?" :lol:

Get it. Young whipper-snappers are brash, have no patience, make rash decisions and don't think things out :wink: