New to RebEd... getting errors on startup...

Gemini1179

Ok, I just downloaded this and when I start it, the first menu pops up, but then when I make any choice to edit I get this error message:

***Erreur Critique***

From 'NIL' Sender, at 40F1F8BD

Exception Class : EFOpenError

Message : Cannot open file D:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars\Rebellion\\gdata\Mjcharsd.dat

L'application va etre fermee.

Now, my HD is partitioned and the drive my CD is in is G if that makes any difference. The game is installed to D.

Any of the brilliant minds on here know what's going on or where to point me to?

Thanks a bunch.

You used my installer, I had to "reassemble" the original beta4 from scratch and there are some minor bugs. The problem are all the .dat files are set to read only permissions. If you know anything about ntfs permissions then you can figure out how to give yourself full access to them. I'll get that fixed eventually, just looking to get a Vista fix and some new icon art for the next edition.

Basically, browse to C:\Program Files\LucasArts\ folder and right-click the Star Wars Rebellion directory icon and select "properties", goto the third tab which is "Security", under "Group and User names" find your user account and check the "Full Control" allow box. It should automatically fill in the rest of the allow boxes below. Click apply, the changes will be replicated automatically to all the child objects. You should now be able to edit all the files with rebed. Note, you have to turn on classic security menu in XP to see these features displayed how I described. I disabled the new XP dumbified menu a long while back and don't recall where you find that option.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874

If simple file sharing is enabled, you see the simple file sharing user interface appears instead of the Security and Sharing tabs. By default, this new user interface is implemented in Windows XP Home Edition and in Microsoft Windows XP Professional if you are working in a workgroup. If you turn off simple file sharing, the classic Security and Sharing tabs appear, and you can specify which users and groups have access to shared folders on your computer.

How to turn off simple file sharing

To disable simple file sharing, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.

2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.

3. In the Advanced Settings section, clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box.

4. Click OK.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

I nearly had a heart attack when I followed your instructions to the letter and would you believe that under Advanced Settings in the View tab in Folder Options on my computer, there is no "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" box? True story, the closest is "Display simple folder view in Explorer's Folders List".

Anyway, as it turns out, I had a flash of insight and realized that in the General tab under Properties for any file or folder, Read Only is checked off. After putting 2 and 2 together I figured that unchecking that would do the same thing as the above procedure.

Never would have figured it out without your help though, I wasn't thinking about the modifying the files end of it all....

Thanks again for the help.

This is also for the rest of the fools out there like me...

It's the last check box in the list under Advanced Settings on my XP SP2 ... check there :D

But either way, if you got it working than don't bother...

On the other hand... you may be right about the Read-only check box... I vaguely remember having to turn those off now... lol. Could'nt remember if it was that or ntfs permissions or both that needed reconfigured.