Welcome Anonymous!
We host quality Star Wars sites - inquire at The Star Wars Rebellion Network  
SW:Rebellion Network
imminent-bean

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:53 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

More information, VERY IMPORTANT! :)

Well, still editing CMUNEFTB.DAT I have discover the way to add more ships, fighters and troops.

At the begining of the file, there is a "0A" in hex, in dec is "10". This means that only 10 elements are generated:

1 ships (always a ISD)
6 fighters (Tie F)
3 Stoormtroopers

Total: 10

I have ALWAYS the same results, in hardest difficult and biggest galaxy.
If you change this "0A" for "0B", you can add one element more. I have tested with adding another Stoormtroopers, and It seems to work perfect.

If you add in the file this "structure" : 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 06 00 00 10 , another stoormtropper is generated in the fleet in Coruscant.

Now, the game always make 1 ISD, 6 Ties and 4 stoormtroopers :)

I will continue researching, if I can add more ships :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:31 am 
<!-- Warlord -->

Location: Death Stars are out at night, big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas.
Terran wrote:
... If you add in the file this "structure" : 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 06 00 00 10 , another stoormtropper is generated in the fleet in Coruscant.

Excellent work Terran! Just one question (because I'm curious and a stickler for details): How do you squeeze four stormtroopers on an ISD that is supposedly only able to carry three?

Okay, I have some more follow on questions. If you do get four stormtroopers at startup on the ISD, if you move the fourth troop to the system, can it go back to the fleet? (meaning, will the max 3 troop limit be enforced, or will that ship or that class of ship now be able to carry 4 troops for the rest of the game?).

What do you do (and where) to change the "fighter" types (from Ties to whatever)?

Keep up the good work!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:10 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Sorry, that was tested when I changed th ISD (85) for the SSD (86), so It have enough space to four stormtroopers. It seems that the fleet in Coruscant is not randomly generated, in ALL my test, always apear the SSD, 6 Ties and 4 Stormtroopers (and sometimes more ships, but they are generated randomly to be in any planet)

Anyway, if you change the ISD for a Carrack, for example, the game will not crash, and the Carrack will have 6 Ties and 4 Stormtrooper inside :D

You can get them to move the to the planet, but obviously, you cant reload then in the Carrack (I think :twisted: )

I have been testing some things in the way that Rebellion randomly creates fleets at the begining for the Empire, and I can make the Empire start with 3-4 ISDs (but no VSDs, Dreads or Galleons)

I still dont know how to increase the amount of ships, but in my free time, I will be working on that.

I hope that the forum member that created the SWRE editor can see this and upgrade his program to make changes in the fleet on Coruscant. We can make a harder game for the rebels if we put a lot of ships, fighters and troops in Coruscant :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:56 pm 
<!-- Jahled //-->

Terran wrote:
You can get them to move the to the planet, but obviously, you cant reload then in the Carrack (I think :twisted: )

Nice work fella on your wider findings! :)

On this particularly point, it doesn't matter what you load up in the standard slots for starting ships and fighters/regiments etc. Giving the rebels Neb-2's in the Gallowfree slow wont crash the game, for example for starting with regiments, but ingame play works just as Terran points out. The AI/you can't reload them once deployed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:53 pm 
<!-- Warlord -->

Location: Death Stars are out at night, big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas.
Terran wrote:
More information, VERY IMPORTANT! :)

Well, still editing CMUNEFTB.DAT I have discover the way to add more ships, fighters and troops.

At the begining of the file, there is a "0A" in hex, in dec is "10". This means that only 10 elements are generated:

1 ships (always a ISD)
6 fighters (Tie F)
3 Stoormtroopers

Total: 10

I have ALWAYS the same results, in hardest difficult and biggest galaxy.
If you change this "0A" for "0B", you can add one element more. I have tested with adding another Stoormtroopers, and It seems to work perfect.

If you add in the file this "structure" : 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 06 00 00 10 , another stoormtropper is generated in the fleet in Coruscant.

Okay, I did a little fooling around with this same file (CMUNEFTB.DAT), which generates the Imperial starting fleet at Coruscant, and I have made some interesting progress. I have figured out how to add more ships (all of the same type though) and more units on them (starfighters and troops). Basically I used a hex editor to change numbers here and there, started up the game and checked on what happened (or not). Check the image below for details ...

(to actually read the info, click to enlarge)

I hope this helps out some people, it'll definitely make the game more interesting now :twisted:

The next item I'll try to find out (about this same file) is if it's possible to add more than one type of ship :?

PS Thanks to Terran for piqueing my curiosity :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:18 pm 
<!-- Warlord -->

Does anybody have the cajones to be the Rebels and try this game? :twisted: (Look at the number of Death Stars :wink: This is an actual screenshot and NOT photoshopped)

Please note the maintenace points: -169238! This fleet of 256 Death Stars is about to tear itself apart :lol:

I've editied the CMUNEFTB.DAT file. I'll have to work on some other files to make sure there is maintenace to support them :wink: As long as they "fly" together as a fleet everything is OK, but ... as soon as they "split" into different fleets, they can NOT come together again (sorta like a "grandfather clause"). I can also have a DS start for the Rebels at Yavin. Isn't that a hoot! :lol:

EDIT: All of the DS's in the fleet must stay together AND stay at Coruscant. If you try to move more than 1 to another system you get the warning message from the droid about 2 Death Stars can't blah, blah, blah ... but you can move them off system individually :D

Last edited by DarthTex on Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am 
<!-- Fleet Admiral -->

Wow... thats pretty crazy... I'm more amazed you sat down and figured that out... if you ever find a way to boost the game resolution let me know 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:43 pm 
<!-- Jahled //-->

Care to scribble a tutorial Tex how you accomplished this bit of editing? I didn't really follow your previus explaination! :)

I'm amazed the game simply didn't crash. 8O

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:51 pm 
<!-- Warlord -->

I love this thread

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:50 pm 
<!-- Warlord -->

Looking at the hex info Tex posted I think I already know the answer to the question I'm about to ask.
However I can't leave it unasked.

Does anyone think that it may be possible to increase the number of types of Starfighters that can be built in the game. I know it would mean alterning the GUI because of the fighters wanting to be grouped into their diffrient types, but is it possible?

And for that matter would it possible to add more ship types despite the editor difficulties that would cause?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:27 am 
<!-- Warlord -->

@Def: Of course you know the answer is "No" (altogether now, "we need to have the source code to do this"). Unless in a file, hidden away somewhere there is a "data field" that states the number of fighters and capital ships that can be modified, I don't think it's possible. You could probably "add" data to the fighter and capital ship files, but the game will either crash or just ignore it (I'd guess the latter). Although that would be nice to have more :D

Jahled wrote:
Care to scribble a tutorial Tex how you accomplished this bit of editing? I didn't really follow your previus explaination! :)

OK J, a short tutorial it is (short being a relative term :wink: ). You need a hex editor to edit the files!

First a little foundation work: a byte consists of eight bits (that's 2**8 or 2 to the eighth power; which equals 2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2 = 256). 256 is 16 squared (16*16 = 256) and since Hex is base 16, each byte is represented in Hex by two alphanumerics (example: 2B Hex = 2*16 + 11 = 43 decimal base 10 = 00101011 binary).

For the CMUNEFTB.DAT file, what I have noticed is a 4 byte block (maybe that's because of the editor?) that repeated every 3rd block. On further examination it's really a 12 byte block (3 sections of 4 double alphanumerics) that repeat and describe data. So, I'm going to try and break this up into several little sections. Remember, all data in the file is in Hex, and is assumed to remain so :wink: :

1) Header: Appears as three 4 byte blocks (I'm not sure what the numbers actually mean, but I'm guessing the 3rd block 14 00 00 00 means "fleets"), followed by a four 4 byte block (containing ASCII codes for the label "SeedFamilyTableEntry").

Image (click to read)

2) The next three 4 byte blocks all have the value "1", I'm not sure what these values do. The following three 4 byte blocks contain quantity information: the first 4 byte block = the number of groups (usually this means a capital ship), the second 4 byte block is unknown, the third 4 byte block = the number of 12 byte blocks (three 4 byte blocks) units to be berthed on the ship. Each 12 byte block is a single item (a starfighter, troop, and/or spec force). All of the items read in are for 1 group.

Image (click to read)

3) The first "item" loaded is the capital ship (or Death Star). Each "item" consists of three 4 byte blocks: the first 4 byte block always equals 1, the second 4 byte block always equals 0, the third 4 byte block contains the ship class and type. The first byte is the class of ship (see the thumbnail for details), the second and third bytes are 0, and the fourth byte is the type of ship (capital ship = 14, Death Star = 18 ).

Image (click to read)

4) Each item after the capital ship is a unit berthed on said ship. Each "item" consists of three 4 byte blocks: the first 4 byte block always equals 1, the second 4 byte block always equals 0, the third 4 byte block contains the unit class and type. The first byte is the class of unit (see the thumbnail for details), the second and third bytes are 0, and the fourth byte is the type of unit (starfighter = 1C, troop = 10, spec forces = 3C).

Image (click to read)

5) You'll see I edited this file to contain 2 Death Stars (the number of groups), with each "group" holding 2B (43) items: 1 Death Star, 24 Tie Defenders, 18 Dark Troopers. 2B hex is 43 decimal 10, so checking ... 1 + 24 + 18 = 43. If you state there are 43 items but have more than 43 items, only the first 43 are loaded into the game. If you state there are 43 items but have less than 43 items, all of the items are loaded into the game (then the program reads an <end_of_file> and stops loading data from this file).

Image (click to read)

As far as I can tell, I believe the program is hard coded to read in only 1 capital ship for the Empire. I have put the data of a capital ship into a starfighter slot, but the ship does not show up in the game on screen (but, it is listed in the "Ship Finder" :? ). So, it is being loaded and probably taking up maintenance and resources, but it's just not playable (and you can't "scrap it" to get back resources or maintenance :( )

I hope this answered your questions J (in more detail)? Any questions, just ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:17 pm 
<!-- Jahled //-->

That really is most woo of you Tex fella! :D

But I think i'm stuck back at the beginning... with the hex-editor bit. There fore I shall first find a hex-editor and figure it out, and then return here and using that tutorial, naturally figure out everything in the game! :P

..or not as the case will probably be... :?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:07 pm 
<!-- Warlord -->

Here you go J, a FREE hex editor called Hexplorer. This is what I downloaded to use. Its pretty easy to use and if you have any questions, I'll do my best to help answer them :wink:

But anyway, I feel a bit like an old coot (Just be quiet Tofu!) when I found out everything I was playing around with has already been posted on the forums by Vakundok and The_Mask back in 2004 :roll: Well, I think I made a little progress at least in regards to "the number of groups" and verified what has already been posted (maybe in a little more detail) :) Anyone who knows how to program a new GUI could do this with this file just like RebEd changes other files :wink:

Well I think I beat this horse to death, I mean file. I think my next endeavor will be the CMUNEMTB.DAT file (the random Imperial fleets). :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:26 pm 
<!-- Warlord -->

Oh boy, double post :roll: Well, it's a somewhat different topic ... somewhat. The CMUNEMTB.DAT file ...

following are some scribblings I did to point out various things in the data file ...

Image (click to read)

The view above shows the number of categories for different Imperial forces that are randomly selected and placed in the game. Each category has a percentage range and the data between the categories are the units (see following info). What I'm not sure about (without some extensive testing) is how many times this file is accessed at the time of game creation, and if this is tied into the difficulty rating/galaxy size of the game. Sometimes (as the Empire) I've started with a pretty decent fleet, and other times not quite so hot. Based on info from the Imperial Home Fleet file, whatever units get randomly assigned then have their maintenance subtracted from the starting maintenance pool. So, it appears possible to modifiy the randomly appearing units, but not exactly which ones will be selected at game startup.

Image (click to read)

The view above shows only the capital ship data plus the number of units loaded onto each ship (Note: the capital ship itself counts as 1 unit!)

Image (click to read)

The view above shows only the fighters and troop data (on ships or systems)

Image (click to read)

The view above shows only the spec forces data.

Another thing I'm not sure about is whether if a category is randomly selected, can it be selected again? I'm thinking so based on the fact there is only 1 Carrack listed, but I have started a game and had 2 Carracks available. I'll have to experiment and see if its possible to use the "number of groups" increase like in the Home Fleet file.

Any questions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:24 pm 
<!-- Jahled //-->

Emm, well thanks to that link Tex, I got the Hex editor up and running, but how you identify information from the game files remains a mystery to me 8O

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next