Reverse Engineer SWR?

Dragoon09

Has anyone checked out some of these new game creators they have out now? I've checked out a few of them, like Unity's Game Creation Engine. These programs seem pretty powerful, I saw one that was on par with SOASE, if not a bit better in terms of graphics.

I wonder if there is a way to use one these to maybe reverse engineer SWR.

Does this sound plausible? I'm asking because I am not programmer/coder.

If not, how difficult would it be to create our own version of rebellion with one of those? We already have access to pics and game sounds, basically everything but the coding right?

• SWR Staff - Executive

Reverse engineer? No. The game engine was built using old DirectX 6 code and it's dated. Plus the fact it's a LucasArts IP.

We basically have a whole forum for dedicating to Rebellion 2 remakes, ideas, and projects. Some of them are active, few have released all the features that would be a full game.

viewforum.php?f=7

You're basically asking for an investment of people, time, and money. How much do you want to spend? :)

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

• 2 weeks later...

Dragoon, I spent some time investigating the reverse engineer thing. It'd be easier to rebuild from scratch; even if you ignored the illegality of cracking into the code, it would be extremely difficult to reverse engineer it. Then you have to update it to run on modern systems, and that's just to get the game working. I'd bet anyone willing to invest the time and effort would then have to modify the game to make it better in some way (graphics and UI, anyone?).

I also spent several months trying to track down anyone who might have the original code, which would remove the difficulty of reverse engineering it, and possibly even provide us a legal copy to work with. The folks at LucasArts flat ignored my email requests, while my phone calls went to people unable to make the decision (and usually unable to comprehend what I was even asking for). I found some of the original developers, but could only find contact information for one, but only an email, and he never responded. Dead end. At one point I had the assistance of a well-connected individual at Game Revolution, but he was also unable to make progress.

I'm not even sure if an original copy of the code still exists.

The remake projects are the way to go. Too bad those with the desire lack either the skills or the time to really get the job done, and make no mistake, the amount of work necessary is daunting, to say the least. There were attempts to mod other games to make them into Star Wars strategy games; perhaps you would be interested in those? Some of them are darn good.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"