Planetary Defenses

Dan4GS

Is there any way to change planetary defenses to have them fire not only when ships try to bombard, but also when a planetary assault takes place? After all, guys wouldn't sit there with guns and not try to shot down the transports...

Thanks in advance!

When a planetary assault takes place and the game calculates the "offensive vs defensive" factors, the KDY-150 Ion Cannon is used for defensive purposes against assaults. They are responsible for eliminating some of those attacking troops coming to take over your planet.

KDY-150's dis-suade planetary assaults (only 2 GenCore's actually "prevent" assaults), LNR's dis-suade bombardments.

Of course if the attacker has overwhelming forces, your defenses will still "defend/attack", but they will be overwhelmed and captured/destroyed. So, for what you're asking, the game is already doing it; you just didn't know/see it happening. :wink:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Hmm...that's interesting. I have not observed that to be the case during my games, although up to recently I've just put two GenCores on each planet w/out other defenses.

But recently I've tried putting defenses on planets and noticed when I've got either a KDY or LNR, but no troops, and the planet is assaulted I still don't destroy any enemy troops. Do you have to have troops on the planet for these to actually kill some of the opposing troops? Thanks again!

To see what I am looking at, start a new Empire game to test. Take your Coruscant ISD with troops to a close planet to assault with one LRN and no ground defending troops (such as a nearby neutral planet). Check the number before and after the ground assault, the number of surviving troops on your side is minus one for the LRN that shot it down. This is if you are assaulting a planet, not defending it.

The LRN should shoot down incoming hostile forces onto your planet. According to this. One or two troops depending on LRN laser level 1 or level 2.

I have the original paper manual, and it even states that the laser and ion cannons fire upon assaulting troops.

**I am only testing for the player actively assaulting a planet -you lose your assaulting troops. Maybe the AI has a bug in it that allows it to assault your defending planet without the AI losing any troops of it own.

Huh. I tried it as you recommended and it worked at intended. I think there may be a bug when the AI assaults one of your own planets, though, but it's a bit hard to tell without doing a longer test. Maybe I'll try it sometime. Thanks for the help!

Ion cannons allow your ground personnel to move off the planet blockaded without risk of capture. Sort of based off the movies "Empire Strikes Back".

I think maybe during a bombardment, one or more ships are neutralized from bombardment total?

I didn't know some of this. Good info.

So... is there a purpose to the ion cannon? Still seems the LNR is way more useful...

I think it also act like a gencore when being bombarded. This happened to me a lot of time, when bombarding with a rating of one on a planet protected only with ion + troops. It is a cheap defense structure and faster to deploy. All in all, I've decided to build a lot of those to counter (ie: rebuild what has been destroyed) the sabotage missions the AI won't stop launching.

gencores are the only way to stop invasions, but that won't stop blockades or bombardments, and depending on the strenth of the fleet, orbital and even land based facilities could be destroyed with a high bombardment factor. ion cannons do lower bombardment, because they disable some of the ships in the fleet, theoretically. lnr cannons can rip through and even destroy ships if they bombard. try using rebed to make these kinds of structures even stronger. ion cannon's don't do anything to invading troops. i guess they could stop at-ats from functioning, but they can't hurt pople. they do, however, fire on blockading ships when you're trying to move troops, characters, and special forces off the blockaded planet, so most of them will get through. this feature of the ion cannon does make it useful, still maybe not as useful as the lnr, but its nice to be able to move troops and personnel off a planet and have the ion cannon there to help get them out of harms way. lnr series cannons do fire on assaulting forces, you might need troops there to help with that too. put a general in command and you'll see a difference there too. not only does a general help with your troops, but i think it also helps with yoru defensive facilities as well. make things easy on yourself though. if ou have a planet that only has one ion cannon or one lnr, either build some gencores and some more defenses and protect that planet with the best troops and personel if its going to be a place or manufacturing or research. if its going to be filled with mines and refineries, my advise is not to defend it at all. do have a base in each sector with fighters and a fleet and lots of troops and characters and special forces though. if the enemy invades an undefended planet, its actually easier to get it back. you can do espionage and sabotage, in fact you'll have to sabotage any defensive facilites if youhad some there when the enemy took it, or risk losing your own troops and personnel in retaking it, which is a waste. just one little capitol ship with some turbolaser cannons can mosey on over and take out 6 garrison troops if they didn't leave a fleet or fighters there to defend it. which they usually just leave the troops because the AI is dumb. with no ion cannon or lnr, its in no danger and can easily blow the hell out of the garrison troops, usually without much collateral damage. little trick, change the bombardment resistance numbers of your mining and refining facilities, if they survive while you destroy the enemy troops from orbit, you'll not lose any of the support that planet or any other in the system have for you, when you liberate it, you might sway others to neutral, your side, or start uprisings. its always fun when your enemy has to deal with those pain in the butt situations while you can put your strategy to use without much interference for a while. :) in short though, either thoroughly defend important planetswith defensive facilities, troops, fleets, fighters, and personnel, your headquarters, of course, and planets with large manufacturing complexes. even if your fleet gets driven away by a bigger fleet, your personnel, sheilds, troops, and defensive facilites will keep it yours. if they stay in blockade, and halt your production, put a counter attack fleet together, or have the characters and special forces there to pick off the blockading fleet ship by ship. they'll be able to do this if the defensive facilites are there to keep the planet under your control, safe from invading troops, and your base will be back to manufacturing what you want it to in no time. as for the planets under your control that only provide you with materials and maintenence points, leave them completely undefended and just have a ship or small bombardment fleet somewhere in the sector to blow the garrison troops to hell and liberate that planet back to your side. if not, uprisings and sabotage are the way to go, which is a bit of fun, but does take longer and things can change on the planet if you're sabotaging from another planet, so keep doing espionage too. i like to keep my special forces in a fleet most of the time anyway, that way, you can do sabotage right from orbit, or from the most nearby neutral or loyal planet if they did leave a fleet or fighters that can fend you off, it takes much less time. playing as the rebels, i dont' use troops much, especially for invasion, more for inhabiting the outer rim. first of all, they're pretty weak and are better at defending against sabotage and espionage. mon cal have some bombardment strength, but you don't have real tough troops til wookiees. so definitely keep your troops and manufacturing capabilities safe from the enemy with shields and kdy and lnr facilities. as the empire, use yoru stormtroopers to invade and garrison planets by force they way the empire would, its fun, but you'll lose too many in a short time if you do it just willy nilly. fun thing to do, you can set up coruscant and the rebel base with as many facilities as you want. so, instead of searching for that best planet to make your main base, you can have it already with 20 or more energy slots if you change that in rebed. so use rebed to give your home base lots of energy, hopefully some mines and refineries, and lots of defensive facilites. you can always scrap them in favor or new ones or other material/maintenance and manufacturing faciliteis. but you will want a plethora of shields and some kdy and lnr II installations around too, so its nice to have a home base with 20-30 energy slots that will be that much tougher for your enemy to take ;)