Modify Ship Size in Tactical 3d battle display

DarthGon

Hi! First hello to all, and special thanks to all the ones that work for free on delivering a better experience on this old but great game!

My question is simple: How can I change some capital ship size (I do not want to change the model, just the size of it vs. other ships) to look bigger in the tactical 3D battle display?

For example, the Super Star Destroyer (as original in the game), I want it to look bigger in the 3D tactical vs other Imperial Star Destroyers, just the size (not the attributes, nor how the model looks in colors, etc)

Is there a way I can simply edit some value to do that?

What I am trying to do, is to make more realistic the size scale of the ships (at least of the most important) during the 3d battle, without changing rest of the original game (attributes, texture/models, etc.). I hate looking a rebel transport so big compared to a Star Destroyer

Thank you very much to all!

I think there was some mention about size factor in the model tutorials. What you'd need is to extract the .x files, which are the model files. You would then have to resize them with wathever editor is mentioned in the tutorial. Then you'd have to recompile the stuff and import-it back with the model importer. Ain't gonna be easy though...

Thanks for the reply!

I am trying to download the "model tutorial", addendum, etc. and it says "forbidden". On the other hand, I successfully downloaded the "model exchange" tutorial, but does not work when opening it (page not available).

The model exchange 2.0 was the only that worked, but after reading it, I still do not understand how to do it.

If someone know how to do this (just explaining me in detail how to do it with one capital ship ship, step by step), I can then do it with the rest of the capital ships, test it, and post it as a mod for those who also do not want those star destroyers stupidly look as the size of a mere corellian corvette. :-)

Ok, first thanks to MrPhildevil for emailing me the materials that I was not able to download from the site!

Second, I have been playing with the stuff, and I think my lack of knowledge in 3d modeling/texturing are preventing me to achieve some result on this (but I am still good with extracting, replacing, renaming files!)

This is what I have done:

1- from tactical.dll, extracted the model corresponding to the SuperStarDestroyer with Resource Hacker (extracted the binary to a .x file). Model is inside 301-2570.

2- Opened the resulting .x file with LithUnwrap

3- There, I did not know what to do, so I blindly guessed that choosing "select all" and then "edit-> scale", was may be the easy option to resize.

4- I did it twice, saving it back as .x file, one scaling twice up, and other scaling twice down (always replacing the model back again with reshack in the tactical.dll -in the 3 camera zoom ways as the tutorial says: 301, 2570 and "301, 2571", and "301, 2572").

5-Results when tested were not the expected: one time I saw a "semi texture" of a Super Star Dest filled with "mini super star destroyers" inside (when I scaled twice bigger, 2x), and the other (scaled two times down 0.5x), was like model full of black parts, really ugly... all the times, quiting the battle with the instant result of the game resulted in CRASH... and I still do not know if I change the size of that Destroyer, I think remained always the same (though more ugly)... totally frustrated

I guess maybe I have to touch the textures as well as the model?? (but I do not know how to do this) or may be the "scale" option of the LithUnwrap is not for resizing as I want? is there any "click me here button to change the size???"

So... If someone knows how to help, I can do my job with all the "replace file, extract bin, etc"... that part I know how to do it! :-)

finally, I have downloaded Milkshake and gmax, etc, but I do not know how to use it, nor could identified an easy option two just "change all the stuff size".

"My lack of knowledge, means I am full of potential!" :-)

Phil is right. You have to do both, the model and texture. Also, there are more than one model/texture for each ship (different textures for different graphic settings, back when the game came out and some systems couldn't handle Rebellion's "highly detailed" textures). You'll want to make sure you modify the high-end one.

I have no idea how to find it, or how to work with either models or textures. The guys you want to ask (in order)

MASK

Mad78

vakundok

I haven't seen any of them around in awhile though. There are tutorials for models and some things for textures. If you go to the toolbar links here:

RebEd -> Models (click) -> at the top, click on textures

Download all three, and see if they help.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"