Base versus Variance??

KyFedCop

I have played Rebellion for years and just recently decided to use RebEd to change up the experience a little. I've looked through the forums and have run across a few discussion on editing characters but nothing that quite answers what I'm looking for.

Without any changes, Luke starts out with a 75 diplomacy rating. If I edit Luke and change his base using RebEd 10 points from 50 to 60 his diplomacy starts at 90. If I change only the variance and raise it from 0 to 10 leaving the base at 50 his diplomacy starts at 76. Now when editing Vader a 10 point increase in his diplomacy from 40 to 50 raises his diplomacy from 88 to 110. A 1 point only increase in variance with no change to base has no effect on Vader's diplomacy leaving it at 88.

Therefore, my questions are what is the difference in Base and Variance and is there a formula to determine the ratios?

• SWR Staff - Executive

My understanding is that these set the starting stats based on some randomization

stat = base + variance*randomization-factor

What that randomization factor is, I have no idea.

A variance change of only 1 could show little effect, since the randomization factor could easily make this less than 1.

Depending on how this value is stored, it can either be rounded or (more likely) truncated to the nearest integer.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

I'm pretty sure it's as simple as stat = base + random(variance) .

You'll notice characters with a skill base 70 and variance 30 end up having skill between 70 and 100, for instance. That 76 you got from introducing a variance is not constant, if you restart the game a few times you'll keep seeing different values.

Of course Luke and Vader's diplomacy stats are also affected by their Force rating. Not sure if you're aware of it, Rebed explicitely shows the modifier formulae on the character screen. Basically you add the Force level as a %, if your character has a 100 force level you end up adding 100% to 100% = 200%, effectively doubling your skill.

So for instance Luke, with normally 50 base diplomacy, 0 diplomacy variance, and 50 Force rating, has a total stat of

(50 + random(0) ) * (100% + 50%) = 50 * 150% = 75

Luke with your +10:

(60 + random(0) ) * (100% + 50%) = 60 * 150% = 90

Vader:

(40 + (random(0) ) * (100% + 120%) = 40 * 220% = 88

Vader with your +10:

(50 + (random(0) ) * (100% + 120%) = 50 * 220% = 110.