No Briefing Mod: fix for Vista, Windows 7, XP, all OS

Slocket

This mod shuts up droid real fast for those who can not skip past it. I created the one for the Empire. I just deleted the wave files, and stop the scripts from firing off, so as to play silently extremely fast in one second the whole thing. Now you have peace and quite, and less annoyance at start up. Please give feedback if this works and W7 Vista and 64.

EMBRIEF.DLL -No Empire Briefing. :P

look down further for dl link

Edited by Slocket

Yes, easy to do, except for hand replaceing 500 hacked scripts and renaming them back. :) but it is the same as the Empire.

I need to know; have you tried it and see that it does what is says?

If it is working for other people to test, then I will do the Alliance brief for a complete package.

I got interested in this since I finally have a new PC Windows 7 64 bit and want make sure my project will work on it for a release. It is only the GUI, just like the original, but much better metrics and layout and higher resolution.

Not being able to skip the droid for three minutes makes for a headache studying the original games behavior.

------------------wish list OT

I would like to fix the animation and stuff it into the remake. Later it can be replaced with higher resolution, say IG-88 custom animations using the original IMP-22 voice or interesting, a voice reproduction reader to speak the words.

There is a movie at the end of Rebellion if you lose as the Empire that has enough picture movement of the IMP-22 Droid I could put together enough frames to make a few decent idle animations using that higher resolution of IMP-22.

I am using a display window for the Droid, and next to it is the target of your mission. Or whatever you may be clicking on such as an Agent in focus, or maybe if Palpatine pops up in the window to speak to you. It is to make the game GUI more dynamically alive.

Hopefully it will make setting up missions Agents and Targets easier and more interesting.

THX for the feedback it is important. :D

It is coming along much faster now that I have gained more experience in programming. I was pretty much a n00b two years ago. I am using that easier to use but somewhat buggy Dark Basic Pro. Getting around its quirks, it is well suited for these older retro games, that are not too complicated in code, and does your 3D parts very easy for some one with little to no experience with Direct X.

I learn the macro of making a game. Later to learn real C+ language and the real Direct X that gives modern games that cool 3D looks and feel. I must say, Dark Basic can do alot of things, pretty much anything Direct X 9 would allow.

The hardest part believe me is the 2D interface with all those planets, flipping windows side to side, and getting the higher resolution art work and fixing the aspect ratio to a true 1:1. A zoom feature as in S.o.S.E. may have been better, but this also has its advantages, plus too late to turn back. I stream lined the mouse click fest I hope by using a window to hold the Target object, then just find you agent or what not, select mission from drop down, then send him off.

The coding for the game logic should be easy for me. I felt it was the GUI being able to show the basic original 200 planets, then up to 300 was the hardest part in creation (complicated window flipping I had to make, it is not MS windows, I had to make my own version to mimmick MS windows (I guess I could call it Dark Windows)).

There is a tool rudimentary called Galaxy Mapper I use to place static custom systems and sectors. You can in option change Window mode, Random Loyalty on/off, Random ownership, music volume, etc. You can make your own custom universe, or someone can write a tool with more options to change the very simple hex format file containing all the data to start a game. This was missing from the original.

I also did enough 3D last year for the tactical battles...that was easy under Dark Basic with its built in functions. It is more of a thinking man battle so to speak than a RTS style fight. It does occur in real time, but there is more symbolism sort of like Star Fleet Battles and the Heroes of Might and Magic games, set in space.

Once I finish off the Rim planets positions, to show a example of the GUI 2D strategy part. Basic but enough to make sure it is going to work on all OS that can handle Windows and DX9.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 10 years later...
  • SWR Staff - Executive

Download the Fix at https://swrebellion.link/fix 

Expand Rebellion Fix package by TruthRealm#9465

Expand Star Wars - Rebellion.zip to same folder as REBEXE.EXE

Right-click REBEXE.EXE
Properties
- Compatibility tab
-- Change settings for all users
-- uncheck all boxes
-- Apply
-- OK

Shift + Right-click REBEXE.EXE
Pin to Taskbar
Send to Desktop (create shortcut)

Shift + Right-click the Taskbar Pin or shortcut file you've just created
Properties
- Shortcut
--Target: \REBEXE.EXE" -w
-- Apply
-- OK

Enclosed in this patch archive you will find nested Star Wars - Rebellion.zip which contains:

basegame:

v00.01.00002.0000

REBEXE.exe

Original Rebellion Executable by CoolHand

Rebellion Refresh Executable by Rebellion Reloaded team

-- "Package Features (Rebellion Refresh)

- Icon updated for XP and newer operating systems. (48x48 w/ 32bpp) Created by Mad78

- Performance optimizations to executables allow DLL and MDATA file access from installation folder.

- Application manifest data added to executables to conform to Vista UAC specifications.

- REBEXE.EXE is now identified as version 1.02 to reflect these changes, built on 1.00 for stability."

Retained Mode:

v05.02.03790.0000

d3drm.dll

Direct3D Retained Mode by Microsoft

Tactical:

v02.63.00001.0000

DDraw.dll

D3DImm.dll

DirectDraw + Direct3D Immitation by dgvoodoo

Download the Fix at https://swrebellion.link/fix