Hyperspace Speed Locations

lookiamluke

So, for as long as I've played Rebellion (which is since it came out and I was about 10 years old), I have wanted to change the amount of time it takes for things to move around the rebellion universe. It didn't make sense to me that things should take half a year to move from one end of the galaxy to another. Years and years later, I finally decided to track down the values controlling the hyperspace speeds of troops, facilities, major and minor characters, and special forces.

I figured out that the default value for all of the above is 100. Rebed was very helpful as it let me change the hyperspace speed of ships until I found a value that matched the speed of characters. In terms of hex, this is a 64. Using a hex editor, I searched all of the files in the GDATA folder and found 64 in something like 45 files. I started going through these one by one, changing the 64 to 01 and testing. This was taking too long, so I picked the biggest .dat file in the folder and decided to start on that one. the biggest (10kb) file is GNPRTB.DAT. There are some 80 times the value 64 is found in this file. I started by changing chunks of values, and once i got a hit, I was able to narrow it down. To sum it up, I found the locations in the dat that control the default hyperspace speeds for most of the game objects.

Additionally, I had to find the correct values for the millenium falcon effect that allows han solo to travel 2 times as fast as everyone else. by default this is a game value of 50 or a hex value of 32. Turns out han's speed is in the same dat file.

The following table sums up the results I found. So each difficulty level has its own default hyperspace value, as well as each faction. I don't know if one faction can have a different value from the other for a given difficulty, but play around and you might be able to have a little more fun by speeding up this game. Note, you will need to use a hex editor to go to the listed address and change the default 64 to some other hex value. In the case of the millenium falcon effect, the default hex value is 32.

File name GNPRTB.DAT

Rebellion

--- Novice 00000032

--- Intermediate 00000036

--- Expert 0000003a

Empire

--- Novice 0000003e

--- Intermediate 00000042

--- Expert 00000046

Millenium Falcon effect

--- Expert 00000a5e

--- Intermediate 00000a5a

--- Novice 00000a56

So I understand, you found the default hyperspeed value location for lets say a character moving by himself to a planet, or a refinery moving through space? This is not inside RebEd I take? And it is located inside GNPRTB.DAT?

Usually PR_TB stands for Probability_Table of GN whatever GN stand for. Some are Diplomacy mission success, Sabotage Mission success, etc. I am surprised it is inside that file. Good work, I would like to see the ability to change the default speeds of characters and shipments such as Factories and such. Good find. Wow! 8)

Yeah, GNPRTB stands for general parameter table, i think (it's in the beginning of the hex code for the file). Yeah, these values control the movement speed of everything but ships and fighters. So factories, minor characters, troops, etc. traveling alone or together are all governed by these values. I am playing a game where I set it to 12 (instead of the default 100) and it is great. Missions are faster, there is more real-time strategy involved, things are all around much more enjoyable now. So, give it a try, you might enjoy the game in a new way.

Indeed, it may allow the AI to be smarter since it can react faster. I should give it a try with the AI having a faster move time.

Yes, of course, inside the file it says general parameters table...my eyes must be getting older to read. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I love you. I've always wanted to do this, but never quite got around to it. Now I can finally speed up both production levels AND travel time; I can finally make it equate to what the SW universe actually would be like!

*Copies and pastes text into .txt file to ensure against corruption or other mishap*

Did I mention that I love you?

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

• 1 year later...

The following table sums up the results I found. So each difficulty level has its own default hyperspace value, as well as each faction. I don't know if one faction can have a different value from the other for a given difficulty, but play around and you might be able to have a little more fun by speeding up this game. Note, you will need to use a hex editor to go to the listed address and change the default 64 to some other hex value. In the case of the millenium falcon effect, the default hex value is 32.

File name GNPRTB.DAT

Rebellion

--- Novice 00000032

--- Expert 0000003a

Empire

--- Novice 0000003e

--- Expert 00000046

Millenium Falcon effect

--- Expert 00000a5e

--- Novice 00000a56

I've updated my editor (SWRDE) to change the above values from a UI(no Hex Editor needed). I did notice that there are similar values just prior to the Rebellion Novice setting at location 028, and just after the last empire setting (expert) at location 050(hex). Has anyone played with these values? They are also hex64 or decimal 100 values and might control some other type of speed setting. Also if you look at location a51 (before first millenium falcon setting) it has a value of 32. There are also 4 additional 32 values just after the millenium falcon setting. These 'might' control some other hyperspace speed, but I've not tested any of these. I'm going to add them to the next version of SWRDE if anyone wants to test them, please let me know what they control (if anything).

EO

Edit: Updated SWRDE to allow UI changes to the unknown, but potentially useful (hyperspace)values mentioned above.

I'm not sure what the other values modify, but I do know that the Millennium Falcon locations listed are wrong, at least for Expert. I haven't tested the intermediate and novice ones. The location sited for the Falcon on Expert must control something else, though I don't know what.

Perhaps the other similar values you found control speeds for construction movement, like when facilities are moving from system to system? Or else the movement speed for normal characters?

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

File name GNPRTB.DAT

Rebellion

--- Novice 00000032

--- Expert 0000003a

Empire

--- Novice 0000003e

--- Expert 00000046

Millenium Falcon effect

--- Expert 00000a5e

--- Novice 00000a56

Rebellion (These control the Empire)

--- Novice 00000032

--- Expert 0000003a

Empire (These control the Rebels)

--- Novice 0000003e

--- Expert 00000046

Millenium Falcon effect (Reversed order)

--- Expert 00000a5e (should be a56)

--- Novice 00000a56 (should be a5e)

All nine values change the hyperspace speed of units without hyperspace speed stats, as noted above. I specifically tested characters, troops, and empire Tie fighter(no hyperdrive).

I'm not sure what the other values modify, but I do know that the Millennium Falcon locations listed are wrong, at least for Expert.

For Expert mode change address hex "a56", this should work.

Thanks go to lookiamluke for finding these!!! I've updated SWRDE with the above changes.

EO

• 7 years later...