Multiplayer ettiquette

Alzir

Hi guys,

I've recently reinstalled supremacy and after a few games with a mate over the net, I'm thinking of playing more regularly online. Anyway from my experience with established games there are usually some tactics that are considered unfair or lame. So since I'm new to this, and not wanting to upset any established players along my learning curve ;), I'm wondering if someone could give me a run down of how games are conducted online? I noticed in another thread in here that assaulting a planet only to scrap facilities and leave again seems to be frowned upon, so are there any things like that I should know about (also why is that frowned upon?)? Another thing I'm wondering is how time is managed during online games, and how long games generally last?

Right well cheers guys if you can help, and if anyone wants a beating ;) drop me a line.

I cannot see why it should be considered bad form to scrap facilities to stop them falling into enemy hands. After all the attacking player achieves destruction of enemy facilities for no cost, while the defender salvages something from a lost cause. Also the attacker always has the option of bombarding as has already been suggested . Alls fair in war. Just my two ha'penny worth!!! :roll:

You have failed me for the last time

What is Life? Life is the Nation. The Individual must die anyway. Beyond the Life of the Individual is the Nation.

SAVE FREQUENTLY!!!! myslef and vader found that one out pretty fast.

nothing to do with ettiquit (spelling) but helpfull tip none the less

heh yea found this out myself against a couple of friends, the game crashes far too often :x

I cannot see why it should be considered bad form to scrap facilities to stop them falling into enemy hands. After all the attacking player achieves destruction of enemy facilities for no cost, while the defender salvages something from a lost cause. Also the attacker always has the option of bombarding as has already been suggested . Alls fair in war. Just my two ha'penny worth!!!

That I definately can't see anything wrong with, but I got the feeling from elsewhere that what was frowned upon was people arriving at a system, finding it guarded at best by one shield gen, so they invade. but not having enough troops to hold the system they scrap everything then leave again. Personally I don't see anything wrong with that, as it sounds like classic hit and run tactics, but I don't want to upset anyone :)

That I definately can't see anything wrong with, but I got the feeling from elsewhere that what was frowned upon was people arriving at a system, finding it guarded at best by one shield gen, so they invade. but not having enough troops to hold the system they scrap everything then leave again. Personally I don't see anything wrong with that, as it sounds like classic hit and run tactics, but I don't want to upset anyone :)

If your opponent is upset by the tactics you use, then that's a sign they shouldn't be playing Rebellion. As far as I'm concerned, if the game allows you to do something, then you can do it. Destroying the opponent's resources *will* cripple your opponent eventually.

I learnt this lesson the hard way by overextending myself then having 2-3 Imperial ships loaded with sabotage forces destroying the resources. I eventually destroyed the ships but only after a great loss. Consequently it took me at least 1000 days just to break even with my opponent in terms of strength.

"You don't know the power of the dark side. I must obey my master." - Vader

learnt this lesson the hard way by overextending myself then having 2-3 Imperial ships loaded with sabotage forces destroying the resources. I eventually destroyed the ships but only after a great loss. Consequently it took me at least 1000 days just to break even with my opponent in terms of strength

Then this is truly a case of 'THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK' :wink:

You have failed me for the last time

What is Life? Life is the Nation. The Individual must die anyway. Beyond the Life of the Individual is the Nation.

• 5 years later...

Every game the players set their own rules but a few I have found used pretty commonly are:

1.) No suncrushing planets (General bombardment until all of the planets resource and build slots are eliminated, creates a bunch of completely worthless planets.

2.) No Ghost Fleeting.

But yea, multiplayer games usually involve a lot more carnage than single player and you have to think out missions much more carefully as well as not keep your characters on a mission too long.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...