Problems with online play...

darkknight109

OK, I'm running into some issues here. Me and a friend are trying to connect to each other online to play Rebellion. When we were in the same room, working off the same Wifi Internet connection, everything ran great. No problems. However, now that we're 400km away from each other, problems are cropping up. At first, we couldn't see each others games. I read the sticky on working around firewalls, so we installed Hamachi and now we see each other when we create a game... but whenever one of us tries to join, the joiner times out and can't enter the game.

Has anyone else ever run into a problem like this? And if so, how do you fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

After further investigation, this problem only pops up at certain times.

My friend, for example, has a laptop and whenever he runs it at home, we get the timeout problem. Whenever he runs it at a friend's house, we can connect with no problems and run a game without trouble. It's the exact same computer and the only thing changing is the connection type and location.

So I think connection has something to do with it, but I'm not sure what's causing the problem beyond that. Anything I could try to fix this?

• SWR Staff - Executive
The router may be dropping packets? If his home network is unreliable, he may have problems with other games, downloads, etc.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

OK, after some FURTHER experimentation, it appears that the problem is mine.

There was someone else I couldn't connect to (same problem, we kept timing out when we tried to join each others' games) and I asked them to try playing each other. They connected with each other no problem and were able to run a game.

So now I think that my computer is, for some reason, refusing to acknowledge their connections. Perhaps a security program of mine is registering their connection attempts as attacks on my system and attempting to ban their IPs. I've tried disabling some of my firewalls, to no avail.

What sort of program/security feature would be blocking their connections and/or banning their IPs?