Why won't my avatar work?

Hutton

Question

I've tried to upload a 1.66 kb .jpeg as an avatar image but it doesn't seem to be taking. At first I tried a bitmap, and I got a message that said it had to be .gifs or .jpegs, but the forum profile manager didn't object to the .jpeg, yet it's not getting displayed.

8 answers to this question

Guest Scathane
Most of the time when your avatar doesn't work, it has to do with the website that's hosting it. In other words: see what your avatar's link does when you enter it into your browser and see what happens. 9 out of 10 you're problem's there...

Guest Scathane

That's your problem then: you cannot upload pictures from you computer into your profile, you have to type in a weblink to the picture.

What you do is this:

1. Go to http://www.villagephotos.com and create a free account
    2. Upload the picture from your computer
    3. Click on the photo and below URL's and HTMLyou'll find what you need: select the copy to clipboard-icon next to the heading HTML IMG Tag
    4. Go to your SWR profile and paste in into the box as you did before
    5. Click save and amaze us with your avatar

Guest Scathane
Ok, thanks. But why does the profile manager give you the option of uploading an image?
Sigh! It doesn't and you needn't, Hutton. I'll give you the instructions again:

1. Go to http://www.villagephotos.com and create a free account
    2. Upload the picture from your computer to your villagephotos account
    3. Click on the photo and below URL's and HTMLyou'll find what you need: select the copy to clipboard-icon next to the heading HTML IMG Tag
    4. Go to your SWR profile and paste in into the box as you did before
    5. Click save and amaze us with your avatar

Clear now? :D

No need to get snippy.

I will do it that way. Thank you for the procedure. But for the record: the Forum profile manager offers the following options.

Upload Avatar from your machine:

Upload Avatar from a URL:

Enter the URL of the location containing the Avatar image, it will be copied to this site.

Link to off-site Avatar:

Enter the URL of the location containing the Avatar image you wish to link to.

Select Avatar from gallery:

If your saying the feature is broken, then you are correct and I have misunderstood.

If you are saying the option isn't there (compleate with a working 'Browse' button that lets you select from your files) then you are mistaken.

(I would put a little smiley face or somthing to ensure that this post isn't taken to be intended as snide or nasty, but I don't like emoticons, so take my word for it).

Guest Scathane
No need to get snippy.
My snippines was meant jokingly, Hutton! :wink:

I will do it that way. Thank you for the procedure. But for the record: the Forum profile manager offers the following options.

Upload Avatar from your machine:

Upload Avatar from a URL:

Enter the URL of the location containing the Avatar image, it will be copied to this site.

Link to off-site Avatar:

Enter the URL of the location containing the Avatar image you wish to link to.

Select Avatar from gallery:

So I see. I didn't know that.... It wasn't there before. :?

(I would put a little smiley face or somthing to ensure that this post isn't taken to be intended as snide or nasty, but I don't like emoticons, so take my word for it).
No offense taken. :D