Should I get Star Wars: Rebellion?

xgmx

Should I get Star Wars: Rebellion?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should I get Star Wars: Rebellion?

• Yes
    • No

Question

21 answers to this question

I think everyone on this site will tell you to get the game. It is playable online, but I have never played it against another player, so I do not know how it is done; only that it can be done.

It is waaaaaaay better than Force Commander.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

You should definitely get this game. Personally, I think no other game has got the tactical depth rebellion has whilst maintaining ease of management. The Civ and Total War series are as deep, if not deeper but the bigger you get in those games, the more of a headache it is to manage all your cities/provinces. I don't think rebellion suffers from that at all and then there's the RPG elements, which to me, are the icing on the cake. Of course there is the fact the graphics are terrible these days and the interface can be difficult to get use to.

Multiplayer is excellent but I've found you need to use hamachi in combination with HW's Virtual Serial Port, both of which are very easy to use and generally pretty reliable. (if u do get it, look for a match on Hamachi network 'swrebellion', password 'starwarsrebellion')

I got this game about three years ago for a dollar at the flea market because I like space RTS little did I know what I was getting in to when I installed this game it's so great it's every RTS'S dream the fact that it's star wars is just icing on the cake!

Rebellion is not like Force Commander, a crappy game which has more in common with Empire at War. And no there is no Battle.net like program, if you wanna play on-line you are going to have to tinker. Rebellion, in comparison to Force Commander, is difficult and complex in a way that is going to really only appeal to dedicated stragety game fans. This doesn't mean you have to be good to play this game, the AI is really bad, but you have to put some real time into this game in order to see a pay-off.

Basically if you want to get into the game and, right away, start blowing junk up go out and get Empire at War. If you want to carefully muster your forces and, step by step, establish control of the galaxy then Rebellion might be for you.

"It is such a quiet to thing to fall. But it is far more terrible to admit it."

I'm used to StarCraft (love it so much I bought every single Battle.net game, and all of the expansion packs), so I'm not used to the whole TCP/IP thing (but don't get me wrong, I can do it, I've done it with some older games before). I hate Hamachi, I tried it once, but everyone on it was a Hacker (hence why they weren't on Battle.net, they were all banned). I tried Kali (a defunct online gaming service similar to Hamachi) but i didn't like that, it lagged way to much and there is only 1 person who used that. GameSpy Arcade was alright, it is better than nothing. Battle.net is epic. World Opponent Network is awesome, though it's kind of a rip off Battle.net. PhoeniX WorX is great except it only supports one game. Other services I've tried are alright.

I have another question so I should know if I should buy it or not. Does it have Use Map Settings, or is it just like all the other RTS games out there, the same thing over and over where you get a unit, other people get a unit, you build a building, yawn? If it has UMS is it like WarCraft II: Battle.net Edition where the entire community disregards it since Blizzard forgot to include "triggers" in the map editor so there were no command scripts for UMS. Or is it like StarCraft and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (and Reign of Chaos) where you can play movie maps, defense maps, bounds, Evolves, zombie maps, RPG maps, role play maps, offense maps, tournament maps, etc.?

I bought the game when it came out and tried to play it. I couldn't figure it out, got frustrated, and gave up on playing it. Of course I complained alot about it and kept saying that I shouldn't have bought it. My older brother asked if he could try it out and I told him he could. A couple days later I found my brother playing it, so I sat down for awhile and watched. He explained what he was doing, how he was doing it and why he was doing it, he told me that I should try playing the game again because it was actually pretty cool.

A year or so went by and I was looking through my computer games and I found Rebellion, I finally took my brother's advice and tried again. At first I got a little frustrated but I kept at it and with a lot of patience and quite a bit of help from the manuel I figured the game out. I played it almost every day for a year, in fact I played it so much that the disc delveloped a small crack from the CD-ROM drive (I always had the music turned on which caused the disc to spin faster and get hotter) I grew a little tired of it and didn't touch it for almost a year.

I got into it again, and with my playing it, my brother playing it (again) and a friend playing it, little by little the small crack turned into a LARGE crack. One day while I was playing, the game quit abruptly when a micro-explosion erupted from my CD-ROM drive (the large crack had turned into a broken disc and several shards) a month or two later I re-bought Rebellion from LucasArts' online store, and I was immediatly sucked back into it. In fact I got so much back into it that a couple months later I lost the new disc to the CD-ROM drive.

I was nearly furious, I coudn't believe that I had to buy another copy of Rebellion. But I did (of course) and this time I wasn't taking any chances, I had learned about game cracks from my older brother and was determined to find one for Rebellion. After a little searching online I came across AdrenalineVault.com, they had a crack and as soon as I had a new copy of Rebellion I put the crack to use, in fact searching for the game crack is what brought my attention to SWRebellion.com.

I have been playing Rebellion almost every day since I bought the third copy, and all the great add-ons (cards, mods, tcs and tutorials) found on SWRebellion.com have furthered my enjoyment of one of the coolest (if not the coolest) Star Wars games ever made.

But I will tell you that Rebellion isn't for everyone, in fact most Star Wars gamers avoid it like the plague, maybe they shared my first experience with it and just gave up.

Oh DarthTofu, you have no idea. A long while ago my friends and I were trying to play System Shock 2 co-op.

Well, push came to shove. After 3 days of trying we found this wonderful program called Hamachi which simulates a private network (or LAN). It's probably one of the most under-appreciated programs I have ever encountered. I fully, FULLY support it!

That's some real dedication there Vin. The Angry Video Game Nerd would be proud.

Oh yeah. I played as Rebels and thought I was doing pretty good. I had a MonCal cruiser, some Neb-Bs and I was starting to roll out my B-wings. And then the Empire showed up with the AI Superfleet with 3 SSDs and a mess of other capital ships.

I did get to see the Rebel Lose Game movie at least... :wink:

That's some real dedication there Vin. The Angry Video Game Nerd would be proud.

Oh yeah. I played as Rebels and thought I was doing pretty good. I had a MonCal cruiser, some Neb-Bs and I was starting to roll out my B-wings. And then the Empire showed up with the AI Superfleet with 3 SSDs and a mess of other capital ships.

I did get to see the Rebel Lose Game movie at least... :wink:

8O 3 SSDs? That's more than I ever got to see; the biggest fleet I ever saw the AI produce was the one around Coruscant my first game. They had an SSD, maybe three or four ISDs, plus a couple of VSDs and, like, twelve Carracks. Plus the usual assortment of 3,000 TIE variants or so. :roll:

I assumed that the defenses would be way more formidable, so I sent in everything I had, including my home base defense fleet (turns out the Rebel home base can be sabotaged- who knew?).... I had something north of two hundred ships there. It was a slaughter.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

8O 3 SSDs? That's more than I ever got to see; the biggest fleet I ever saw the AI produce was the one around Coruscant my first game. They had an SSD, maybe three or four ISDs, plus a couple of VSDs and, like, twelve Carracks. Plus the usual assortment of 3,000 TIE variants or so. :roll:

I assumed that the defenses would be way more formidable, so I sent in everything I had, including my home base defense fleet (turns out the Rebel home base can be sabotaged- who knew?).... I had something north of two hundred ships there. It was a slaughter.

Well, this was one of the early games, where I probably hadn't taken a single system from the Empire, they gobbled up most of the Core by then (and who-knows-how-many Rim systems) and I generally had done nothing to oppose them. Not even a single Sabotage mission.

So yeah, I suppose if you play like that you'll get a large fleet out of the AI to ruin your stuff. :D

EDIT: For the sake of honesty, for all I knew that could have been their entire fleet, part of it, or one of many. Yeah, I wasn't so big on Espionage then either. :wink:

I was "lucky enough" to have the AI (as the Empire) build 5 SSD's, and all in the same fleet! I think that was during my first "Rebel Uprising" game somewhere in the GAME STORIES thread. That was probably one of the best space battles I had in a long, long time. It wasn't overly grand as I (the Rebels) had all ship research complete, had practically all of the outer rim, and at least half the Core. So, although it was nice to see the AI doing something, I did have a comparably better fleet. I saved the game prior to the space battle so I could play it out several different ways. I finally fought the battle out to where I didn't even lose a single capital ship (although, my tons of fighters were reduced to mere hand fulls when things were done).

As to getting Rebellion or not, ... don't, if you're an idiot; it might be old now (not as old as me), but it definitely has potential (especially early in the games) to strategically challenge you :wink::D

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

As to getting Rebellion or not, ... don't, if you're an idiot; it might be old now (not as old as me), but it definitely has potential (especially early in the games) to strategically challenge you :wink::D

... and if you get RebED and give yourself some severe handicaps, the game can challenge you throughout. I recall hearing about how someone was kicked out of the Sesswenna sector while playing as the Imps and had to fight to take it back- sounded like a difficult game to me!

Come to think of it, I still want to try to make a Yuuzhan Vong TC....

12/14/07

I was "lucky enough" to have the AI (as the Empire) build 5 SSD's, and all in the same fleet!

I had something like that. The Empire was really annoying me in the Core with an SSD. So I formed a Task Force based around the Dauntless Cruiser Mon Remonda and went hunting. Well I tracked that SSD down, but the Empire had another SSD waiting for me. I won the battle, but the MR was blown up, all my fighters were gone, and Wedge Antilles was dead. :(

I guess he went out in a blaze of glory alongside Rogue Squadron? :?

EDIT: Of course I know the real reason Wedge died (he was on the MR and he died when it blew up) but I just felt like adding that on there.

Little known fact: Whenever Wedge Antilles dies, the Imperials all lose five billion moral points as they recognize that badassness of Wedge's death, for he cannot go down in a mere blaze of glory. Rather, he dies in a supernova of glory!

12/14/07

I got into it again, and with my playing it, my brother playing it (again) and a friend playing it, little by little the small crack turned into a LARGE crack. One day while I was playing, the game quit abruptly when a micro-explosion erupted from my CD-ROM drive (the large crack had turned into a broken disc and several shards) a month or two later I re-bought Rebellion from LucasArts' online store, and I was immediatly sucked back into it. In fact I got so much back into it that a couple months later I lost the new disc to the CD-ROM drive.

This really sucks, the same thing happened to me with different game (and it wasn't even mine :( ) The best is probably to buy a new drive as well. Hmm, shouldn't LA send you a replacement disc or something like that?

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

This really sucks, the same thing happened to me with different game (and it wasn't even mine :( ) The best is probably to buy a new drive as well. Hmm, shouldn't LA send you a replacement disc or something like that?

I contacted LucasArts when I lost the first disc to the CD-ROM, but they told me that they weren't liable.

Well XGMX do you feel like you want to buy Rebellion and try it out, or have we scared you away with our stories.