What newer games are out there that are like SW:R?

guerre_detoiles

Question

are there any newer games that are similar to rebellion? i want something like rebellion, but preferably turn-based so that i'm not in such a mad rush to check all my messages and make all my moves before the day turns over. i wish they made rebellion a turn based game, it would've been so much better. that and bigger resolution modes to support multiple windows would make this game almost perfect imo. can you imagine native support for 1920x1200 resolution and you can have 10 windows open at once?!! it's a shame that such a great game as this isn't being remade.

oh and i remember there was a game, Gal Civ II that looked sorta similar to SW:R, but i didn't really play it so i can't say. is Gal Civ II the closest thing to a modern SW:R? if so i'll definitely want to check that out, it sure got high ratings from most gaming site reviews.

12 answers to this question

That's the thing about Rebellion. It was pretty damn unique. You really can't find anything quite like it. The closest thing I can think of is Empire at War.

I can, though, suggest some games that I find just as fun. Civilization 4 is a fantastic game, for instance. Sins of a Solar Empire is fun as well.

That's the thing about Rebellion. It was pretty damn unique. You really can't find anything quite like it. The closest thing I can think of is Empire at War.

I can, though, suggest some games that I find just as fun. Civilization 4 is a fantastic game, for instance. Sins of a Solar Empire is fun as well.

yeah i'm also a huge civ fan, although i haven't been playing these days because i got so sick of the game. however, i'm not a fan of real-time strategy games and i rather despise them. i find turn-based strategy games more relaxing and enjoyable. i don't like feeling rushed and having time constraints. oh what i would give to play rebellion turn-based.

• SWR Staff - Executive
The only thing close is Sins of a Solar Empire

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

First, welcome to the forums, guerre_detoiles!

The first game which come into my mind is Masters of Orion 2, but thats an old game. You can see it though as a forerunner of Rebellion and playing it you surely will see why. There is a lot which the creators of Rebellion adopted from MoO2. Youve got research, charachters, spionage, sabotage, colonisation, space- and groundbattles and you are able to create your own ships by choosing which and how many of those weapons and special systems you will build in.

If you are a fan of Civ than I can highly recommend Alpha Centauri which is also made by Sid Meier and his stuff and which is a kind of futuristic side-project of Civ.

But be warned! Both of these mentioned games can be highly addicting! :)

Who cares at all?! :roll:

haha thanks eagle, and yes i know of SMAC, played it a lot back when it came out. awesome game. i never played MOO2, but i heard great things about this game. however i heard MOO3 was a disaster and never lived up to the name. i did hear though that the MOO community fixed MOO3 and made it a much better game. have you tried it by chance?

Space Empires V. It's by Malfador (http://www.malfador.com).

It doesn't have the characters with missions like Rebellion, but there is intel and counter-intel involved. Sabotage missions, espionage, the works. You still take planets, do things to make the people like you, all that stuff.

It's also turn-based.

In addition, and this may be a plus or a minus depending on your opinion, SE5 is FAR more complicated. There isn't two sides, there are up to dozens of sides. You can create the empires and give them special advantages. You research the technologies you want from hundreds of choices, and then you design your own units. That's my favorite part, personally. You can take different components and custom-build your own satellites. Or mines. Or shipyards. Or battle stations. Or scouts/fighters/cruisers/carriers/transports/colony ships/ANYTHING. Even your own ground units. There's the option for auto battle and tactical battle, just like Rebellion has. You can assign planets to ministers, just like you can have the droids deal with certain things in Rebellion. You can forge and break alliances with the other empires, capture their ships and steal technology, even research tech to warp space and alter reality, creating new planets and destroying entire sectors by causing the sun to go nova. And the game is fully customizable, meaning you can make your own mods as you want.

So if you want strategy, tactics, turn-based galactic scale fun and don't mind complication, then there ya go. It's a new game, so there aren't too many mods out for it yet, but it's old enough they fixed the bugs. Check it out! A warning though, games can last a long time just like in Civ games.

Edited by Master_Xan

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

hey im brand new to the site but ive been playing Rebellion since it first came out when i was in elementry school and its all ways been one of my most favrite games

and theres relly only one other game that i prefer to play more then it wich is a game alot like it but more varables

Hearts of iron II made by pardox its asome and theve come out with alot a cool expansions anothe rgame they make thats also alot like rebellion is Eurpa Universalis III ... the only thing it lacks that rebellion has is the battle scense but most every thing else is there as far as grand stratagy of controling resorces and production and research

If you want something semi-similar I'd recommend A) Any Total War game, B) The "War of the Ring" game on The Battle for Middle Earth II (RTS + Strategic invasion strategies), and (potentially) C) The "Europa Universalis" games. I've only ever purchased Europa Universalis: Rome, and I've not played very much of it. I've been very busy of late, and as a result I've only had one chance to test it. I was confused as hell in that one chance, but then, I was very confused during my first round of Rebellion- neither game is very intuitive.

Europa Universalis: Rome is a super-micromanaging game, by the way. Multiple factions are all over the place, diplomacy with each will be affected by each of your actions, you can open and close trade agreements all over the place, and you can only produce units in provinces where certain resources are available. You can ship the resources about based upon what you want to build where, though- IE Elephants to the front lines for elephant soldiers, wood to costal areas for trees, etc. No two resources to one area, though, so a shipyard can't start reaping the benefits on spices or something. It looks good, but one downside to it is the distinct lack of an ability to win. Yes, that's right: You can't win. There are no victory conditions at all. This allows for a tremendous amount of freedom in gameplay, I suppose, but ultimately I imagine it'll come back to bite you in the rear end. You'll only ever really have on game, and won't try out the other factions as much.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

haha thanks eagle, and yes i know of SMAC, played it a lot back when it came out. awesome game. i never played MOO2, but i heard great things about this game. however i heard MOO3 was a disaster and never lived up to the name. i did hear though that the MOO community fixed MOO3 and made it a much better game. have you tried it by chance?

No, but I surely would like to. After all that long time MOO2 has still its place on my hard-drive. No match is like the other - like in Rebellion. :)

Who cares at all?! :roll:

Space Empires IV. It's by Malfador (http://www.malfador.com).

So if you want strategy, tactics, turn-based galactic scale fun and don't mind complication, then there ya go. It's a new game, so there aren't too many mods out for it yet, but it's old enough they fixed the bugs. Check it out! A warning though, games can last a long time just like in Civ games.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Space Empires V? SE4 has been out for years, and there are TONS of mods out for it. SE5 was released about 2 years ago, and there are several good mods, but they are mostly lacking in the multimedia area (graphics and whatnot, SE5 is much more graphics-intensive than SE4 and with such a small community of hardcore wargamers, there aren't many who can make high-quality 3d models and textures).