Mechanics for Detection Rating

clovermite

Question

Hi all,

I've been lurking around the forums for a little while now, but haven't quite found what I was looking for.

Does anyone know the exact formula for how the detection ratings add up vs incoming teams' espionage scores?

I understand that "bigger is better." but they're just meaningless numbers to me right now and I'd like a more solid idea of what exact teams will work against what combined forces on a planet.

Additional questions:

1) Will a commander or admiral make enhance detection rating? I've always heard people talk about generals, but not the other two.

2) Does anyone know the formula for how much the general adds to the detection ratings of troops?

Thanks everyone!

7 answers to this question

I'm unaware of any precise formula anywhere. You can get a basic idea by looking at units that are supposed to have good detection vs. bad detection, and that tells you what is "good" on a unit by unit level. Multiply that by what units are in a given location, and you can get a good idea of how hard it will be to crack. Obviously the spec ops team's espionage rating plays a major part in it all, but I don't know the exact numbers.

It is very important to have decoys; again, I don't know exact numbers. You kind of have to tinker around until you figure it out. Decoys are more likely to be caught however, so keep that in mind when sending important characters on a mission...

Ships play a massive role in detection. It's very difficult to get into anywhere with a sizable fleet, and even small numbers of weak ships like transports have a startling effect. Again, no numbers for you. :(

Commanders only relate to fighters, not detection ratings. Same with capital ships and admirals. Or at least, I've always assumed so, and there's no documentation with the game or from what I've heard online to suggest otherwise; you could set up a few tests with a head-to-head game to find out. Generals have a large impact, and the better the leadership rating the higher the impact. I don't know if a general in orbit has the same effect; I've never done any serious experiments with that to find out. Unfortunately, I'm again without exact numbers.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

Thanks Master_xan, that's helpful.

I'll have to set up some tests some time for the admiral and commander. The manual says commanding characters have an effect and does not specify general, but I've only seen people online comment about it.

The intuition is definitely coming back on what works, so again, much appreciated ^_^.

Btw, love the avatar- Bean is one of my favorite fictional characters of all time. Just finished rereading Shadow of the Hegemon today.

*Winces*

I hated Ender's Shadow. Ender's Game was a fantastic book, but Ender's Shadow was just "The Quest For More Money by Retelling the Same Story."

*Ahem* Er, right... Rebellion. :roll: Anyway, Admirals actually do increase detection ratings. I have no formula, unfortunately, and my manual is missing, but I believe a character's espionage rating influences the detection modifier on your fleet and around the planet.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

a related question: if you're doing sabotage missions on the ships above enemy planets, do the personnel/units on the ground contribute to detection? you're never going down to the planet but infiltrating a ship in space afterall. though i believe that personnel/units on ships contribute to detecting ground based enemy missions (right?).

Correct-o-moondo. Ships influence the ground, but the ground does not influence the ship. At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it works, else I'd not have been able to sabotage a few Coruscant ships/rescue units from them in games.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away