intro and question

crazyjay2003

Question

im old to being a star wars fan, and even though rebellion os a great game, i dont have a lot of time to play it, but its great anyway.

as far as older games go.

im currently on a mod team for freeworlds, and i wanted to make a model of the ship that is called the YT 3000 (non canon name) the one that shoots the empire symbol off the building in coruscant after rebel victory.

i was hoping to extract the movies from the game and get some screens fore clearer reference material, but the files are probably hidden in dummy file extensions, and i dont know where to find them to get the movies to play in the smacker format

does anyone know how that is done? i need as many sequential images as possible for the reference pics so i can get the details of the model correct. mainly because the cockpit is only visible for a split second and the vids on youtube are too grainy.

8 answers to this question

• SWR Staff - Executive
I think the BinK movie player was able to read the movies

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

well they would if they were in .bik format, or even .smk format, but they are not in that format. there are dat files and number files that may be hidden smacker video. i tried reading them with rad video player, but it wont do it. i have to know which ones are video files so i can convert them and read them.

• SWR Staff - Executive
You could try renaming the files :)

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

ok i never thought of that, but which ones should i try? it wont be too hard to batch rename the extensions, especially in DOS. i can do a whole folder at a time. just wondering which ones. the number files or the .DAT files?

I'm sure if Mad was around he would have told you this answer from the beginning, so I'll give him the majority credit (I get some for remembering :wink: , at least I think I remember :? ).

On the Rebellion CD, go to the folder labeled REBELLION/MDATA. All of the "movie" files are located here. Which ones are which will be up to you to find out. As for the file type, I don't know but I believe if you do a search in the forums looking for "MDATA" you'll find that info (probably from Mad's post).

My best suggestion :D

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

thank you very much! worked like a charm. i used the program called "renamer". its a free renaming program with a lot of extra stuff. converted them to smacker (.smk) by appending the extension with .smk...

worked like a charm! got all the movies, but now i have all the frames of that one cutscene so i can see all the detail of that one particular ship.

thanks again!!!

i guess you can call this a tutorial of sorts...

note: if you want custom scenes in the game you can also do the reverse and remname the .smk file you make to one of a numerical value as the extension, and then either reference it in a script(.dll or .ini or however its done), or replace the file you want to show instead of the one that plays by default. im not sure if that will work too well unless some kind of command is given to point the game to an MDATA folder on the hard drive instead of the cd, but im thinking that it is possible to do. to make .smk files you need RAD video tools. it can make .smk files from video, or .bik files

both bink and smacker are lucasarts choice for many of its games when it comes to cutscenes.

please consult the forum for more detailed explanations and tutorials about this. there should be a tutorial here.

im currently on a mod team for freeworlds, and i wanted to make a model of the ship that is called the YT 3000 (non canon name) the one that shoots the empire symbol off the building in coruscant after rebel victory.

This model already exists on The Mask's website (REBELLION/MODEL directory). I'm sure if you ask him, he'll gladly autthorize it for use. I haven't loaded it so I do not know any details :?

This is also already available for download on this site in the DOWNLOADS/MODEL section under the name CEC YT-3000 Heavy Freighter (click here :wink: )

Sorry I didn't think of this earlier :oops:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

heck i dont even know what to do with an RMD file. except put it in SWR. but i made the model anyway. but thanks for the link, its cool to see so many ships for SWR!!! the yt 300 i built still needs textures, but i handed it over to the mod leader for him to play with cause he really likes it.

hopefully i get to see some pics of it soon.

im currently working on a few projects right now that are for freeworlds

heres a link to one of them, and i think you will appreciate it!

LINK