Troop Combat

bulkcruiser

Question

My friend and I are 10 year Rebellion veterans. We've recently started a series of head-to-head games with special rules to make the game more balanced between us. No bombardments, no gencores, and a few others. The result, as many of you will immediatly recognize, is that planetary assault has become a more prominent aspect of our matches. I did some vigorous searching and could not find any information on the physics of planetary assault. I have a few principle questions:

1. How is the basic combat decided - is the attacker's aggregate troop attack rating measured against the defender's aggregate troop defense rating? Are there a series of regiment vs regiment encounters? Obviously I have amassed a volume of experience over the years, but I've never had time in head to head battles to analyze the results of an assult to determine rules or

2. Mathematically, how does the prescence of a general manipulate the process from question one. How does the leadership rating influence combat and how does this change as the leadership rating increases?

3. How do planetary batteries come into play? From observation, I have seen the planetary ion cannons elminate 1 regiment per assault. Is this a static number? I haven't had any experiments with the LNR IIs yet, so I'm not sure if their 2.5x firepower of the KDY makes a difference (i.e. if the LNR II takes out two regiments ever assault)

Any insight would be great, and would help me defend my core sectors against my rival who is playing as the Imperials and has built mass quantities of War Droids and Dark Troopers, while my garrisons are built mainly of Sullustans! Thank you to all who keep this oasis of Rebellion alive!

10 answers to this question

I won't get into mathematics of the game but here are some answers:

I am not sure is leadership rating has any effect on assault but there are 2 characters that has a bonus on both assault and defence, for rebels he is Jan Dodonna and for empire he is Veers. Using those two on assaults will enhance your efficiency.

LNR II's kills 1 regiment also. LNR II's fire power is only good against bombarding enemy ships. 2 LNR II's will kill 2 enemy regiments if you don't have any troop defending the planet. So empire can quite easily assault with a couple of dark troopers on a sullustan garrisoned planet. Mon calamari regiments are much better defending the planet.

Any General on a planet will enhance the combat rating of his troops using his leadership skill. 100 = double combat values.

A General on a ship assaulting a planet will enhance the combat rating of the asaulting troops. Plus a General on a ship will increase the overall Bombarment factor value for that paticular fleet of ships towards a planet.

I think it is not limited to just those 2 characters, unless they get an 'additional bonus' over what a normal General does for his troops?

The math in combat is unknown, but by changing the values using RebEd you can guess. A troop has an attack and defense value for ground combat. A War Droid of attack 8 but only defense of 2. Sullustan are poor troops but they are good at detecting missions. They have an attack 1 and defense of 4. Also the better troops cost more and maintenance so one War Droid cost 9 and 8 to maintain, a Sullstan is cost 3 and only 1 to maintain. So you can build more of them and cheaper to maintain. So you can maintain 8 Sullastan troops for the maintaince of one War Droid.

The math is only a guess. War Droid attack the Sullstran 8 to his 4 defense. (8-4)/4 = 100% kill. The Sullustan troop attacks back (1-2)/2 = -50% no way to kill a War Droid. If this combat was One on One and not agregate combat, A dozens of Sulltrans troops would be killed by one single War Droid troop.

If it was combined forces, then those eight Sullustrans would eliminate the War Droid (8*1 - 2)/2 = 300%. This would make an interesting easy test.

Combined troops for a single War Droid troop against eight Sullstran troops would be (1*8 - 4)/4 = 100% Sullultan troops killed, just barely. So who attacks first round is going to win.

*One single Storm Trooper attack of 6 would be (1*6 -4)/4 = 50% Sulltran troop lost leaving only four out of eight original troops alive.

Second edit for chances for troops to survive.

It looks to be the attacking forces use a dice roll of value of their attack rating, compared to the defense dice roll of the defenders. The higher value wins (old school Dungeon and Dragons rules), with ties going maybe meaning both units survive that phase (or to the defender is unknown). If there are more units on one side, maybe those that survived the equal number random rolls must roll against the extra troops that have not rolled their dice yet. (or the extra troops just plain live for the next assault). Unkown.

If more attackers survive than defenders, then the attack is successful. Else, it is repeled. It seems to fit the data from the game. As for the tie going to the defenders or both units survive, I do not know. A sample attack of five Alliance army regiment against five Imperial Army regement on the planet. Attack = 3 and defense = 5 for both sides same stats for attack and defense.

Since Alliance is the attacker, it uses a dice roll of 3. The Imperials on planet are the defenders with a dice roll of 5. The attacks were set up so each side was always even numbers for testing.

Alliance Atacks Imperial (survive/die)

1/4 ------- 5/0

2/3 ------- 4/1

1/3 -------3/1

1/2 -------2/1

0/2 ----- 2/0

0/2 ------2/0

0/2 ----- 2/0

1/1------2/0

1/1 -----1/1

1/0-----0/1

Equal numbers attacked each try: 10 invasions repeled; 20 Alliance army regiments die to remove 5 Imperial regiments. It seems to be each unit gets its own dice roll depending upon if it is the attacker or defender.

Thank you for your knowledge, and Slocket for your research. This information will prove to be invaluable in my current match. I believe the question now is what algorithm the game uses to determine which troops match up against each other when the odds aren't even. For example, if I have six Sullustans and four Mon Calamari regiments and my friend assaults the planet with 4 war droids, which regiments square off first? One fact I have observed is that even if I am defending with 2:1 odds I can only loose as many regiments as my friend attacks with.

And, if the General's leadership effects are on the scale where 100 leadership = 2x troop ratings, I can see why I am getting mauled in assaults when my friend has a fleet with Vader as a general. By that metric Vader-led war droids attack with a rating of somewhere near 20!

BTW, these game rules have provided the longest playing game we have had. Both seasoned veterans, most of our previous games would last around 400-600 days until one side bombarded enough of the others systems empty to produce the production advantage. Without planetary bombardments, we've had to not only build up stronger defenses, but split our fleets into smaller groups to cover more ground. This has made for much better space battles involving more strategy as we have tried to outflank each other on multiple fronts. We may actually make it though the tech tree!

hello, quick question

For a fleet conducting an orbital bombardment (not assault, sorry for the OT) you're saying they use the bonus of a General and not an Admiral?

Hmm

"I can feel your anger. It gives you focus. It gives you strength." - Nothing happens to Palpatine without him wanting it to...except getting thrown down that shaft ofcourse. Let's hear it for the Empire.

Woah, Gonzo- long time no see, man!

Ah, and no. You get no bonus for a general during a bombardment- you get a bonus for the admiral and, if you have bombers, the commander. General doesn't factor into it.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

huzzah! I am remembered :D

okay, so Commanders and Admirals, thanky

"I can feel your anger. It gives you focus. It gives you strength." - Nothing happens to Palpatine without him wanting it to...except getting thrown down that shaft ofcourse. Let's hear it for the Empire.

Plus a General on a ship will increase the overall Bombarment factor value for that paticular fleet of ships towards a planet.

Opps! my bad. :oops: as it says in the manual and DarthTofu says. I meant Admiral, not General for bombarment.

Assaulting troops from ships commanded with a General get a bonus assaulting the planet. Only an Admiral can increase the fleet ships bombardment value.

page 95.

"GENERALS enhance the strengths of trooper regiments for assault (on a fleet) or while defense (on a system). They also magnify the effect of defensive batteries. Generals have no added effect in tactical battles."

sadly I dont own the manual

I bought the game for $12 off a friend who, "Didn't really like it," the shmuck, and he had lost it long before that. That was back in 2003 (last comer, I know :oops: )

but anyway, thanks for the info. More and more everyday

sadly I dont own the manual

I bought the game for $12 off a friend who, "Didn't really like it," the shmuck, and he had lost it long before that. That was back in 2003 (last comer, I know :oops: )

but anyway, thanks for the info. More and more everyday

Holy crap- you managed to figure this game out without the manual?!? 8O I tried to play a game without the manual... and promptly wondered why the hell my Longprobe Y-wings couldn't take any of the Imperial ships on, and why I couldn't move troops to other planets to colonize them without any ships. It confused the heck out of me, but after reading the entire manual (yes, I read the entire manual, cover-to-cover) I figured out what I was doing and started enjoying the game more.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask 'em here and we'll answer to the best of our abilities....

I really need to get my copy of Rebellion back from my friend.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away