Do Rebel Fighter Shields Regenerate during Battle??

Slocket

Question

I see in RebEd Rebel fighters get shields. Do they take one off hit and never regenerate during tactical battle? Does it act like "Armor" blocking laser fire forever??

I need to know this behavior for code purpose. As for the squadrons hull health, is there one? Is there a base, or is it all the same value, the squadran 12 itself??

Guess:

TIE has attack of 5 and 0 shield. XWing has attack of 8 with 5 shield. One hit from a full TIE squadron did nothing, 5-5 =0 (Shield absorbed and depleted). Second hit takes out full 5 fighters leaving 12-5= 7 XWing left in Squadron??

Reverse, full Xwing squad hits TIE for full 8 leaving only 4 left in Squadron on first hit. Second hit is zero left.

Capital Laser hits and Turbolaser hits are different. A Turbolaser is a % of a laser. XWing squad total shield is 12*5=60. A hit by VSD port 100 (if they hit at all missing) leaves about 11/12 intact. So 100 - 60 = 40 damage. 40/12 = 3.333 per squad thus 1 to 3 will be destroyed in squad. Full hit leaves 11/12 first hit, a second hit will take out 3 more since shields are gone. I wish I knew more of these mechanics.

A Turbo laser seems to 1/24 or 1/12 of a laser to a fighter squad?? This is not counting, do Turbo lasers hit always or do this miss alot? Are Lasers from a capital ship hit 100% or are they just better accurate at hitting a fighter, and if they hit do more damage?

3 answers to this question

I wont get into mathematics but here is how things work;

Fighter shileds wont regenerate, for example a ywing wont regenerate its shield once it depleted all of its shields even if you keep it away from battle forever. It will just simply start losing squadron as soon as it continues getting hit by others.

Every laser fire and torpido fire at tactical battle is a hit but effect differs. Turbo lasers are much powerful than lasers but ineffective against fighters. Lasers are weaker to capital ships but good on fighters. I really never tried to calculate the damage ratios one by one but I know there is a random luck factor at tactical battle also like on all other elements (missions, natural disasters). Commanders and admirals also effect effectiveness factor.

Turbo lasers - lasers: Turbo lasers are effective against capital ships, but ineffective against fighters. Think a strong laser that most of the shot is missed at fast moving fighters but all accurate at capital ships for example. But again theres no miss factor at tactical battle every laser and torpido fires do some damage (shield or hull). Lasers are effective against fighters but ineffective against capital ships. Turbo lasers, lasers, ion lasers and torpidos are all different kind of weapons. So dont think there are related to each other.

A single X-wing squadron only killes 2 tie fighters on a single hit, now that is one thing I am sure of I examined this situation lots of times. This means laser power of the attacker has a ratio on a kill. (There are other ratios also like agility)

TIE fighters not having shields is something so daft that has grown up with this dreadful expanded universe, it is something I have doctored out of my games. I can't play with the original TIE fighter if you examine it's obvious target profile in comparison to rebel ships, supposed 'agility' aside, it's simply stupid, given the greater expense is the training of the actual pilot and it's value with field combat experience and training the new

unlike what the Japanese did in WW2

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Thank you for any observed input (such as the shields not regenerating and kill ratio).

I need to know this since I am writing my own game EXE to mimmick the original game mechanics as much as possible. :P

You will see post on my work "Rebellion 2008" in other threads. I am a bit new to modern programming (been over 8 years since I wrote for DOS games). I have refreshed myself upon Windows 32 API and Graphics programming.