Most efficient number of facilities

Yabby

Question

What do people think is the optimal number of facilities (shipyard/construction /troop) of the same type on a single system?

With the diminishing returns, I'm thinking maybe only 3-4.

I guess you need to factor in having to bolster your defense on more planets in the sector though,which kind of complicates matters.

3 answers to this question

I tend to say: the more the better. ;)

If starting a game you mostly have only one facility on a planet. So the first thing to do is to build a second one asap. That´s what I immedialy do concerning construction facilities. If there´s still space to build something on that planet, than build more asap and as much as possible. If you haven´t got enough space there, start building on another planet. I you´ve got about 4-5 facilities on a planet, the production rate will be highly efficiantly. :)

Who cares at all?! :roll:

Yah, at the start of the game having the ability to build facilities nd defenses is really important, so the more construction the better. After that I usually hold back as much as possible until I've researched advanced facilities. At that point I usually end up with one or two Construction planets per sector with 3-4 adv. construction yards each, one troop planet with the same, and one or two shipyard planets with as many shipyards as possible while still maintaining defenses. A lot depends on the strategic situation and how at risk the sector is.

If I'm against the PC I don't even bother to garrison my primo contruction/shipyard/training facility planets with troops or a fleet- the AI is too stupid to take 'em. I just fill 'em up full of buildings.

Were I to play online it might be quite different; I'd likely still put almost all shipyards and the like on the planet, but I'd include one or two KDY II batteries and a number of Sullustan and Mon Cal troops (Or Dark Troopers if I'm the Empire) to prevent them from being sabotaged. I'd keep a decent-strength fleet (Two Star Destroyer-strength ships, several fighter and bomber squadrons, three or four lancer-style ships) for protection from a random invasion by a space force, but I'd likely flee if confronted with too huge of a fleet.

The planet can still get smashed, don't get me wrong, but my garrison means that if it's smashed it'll be with losses to troops/ships as they assault/bombard- the KDY batteries will take out ground troops in the event of an assault and ships in the event of a bombardment respectively, and I'd likely aim for the ships that carry the most troops with my fleet during the invasion if I thought it prudent. If nothing else I can cost the guy in taking my nice planet.

I'll usually also have some other powerful planets in the same system if it's a rimward one, so that I can send sabotage units to help me out from another planet if I lose one. Fleets rarely show up with enough troops to subdue more than two or three planets (One of the reasons mine tend to be so massive- I usually plan to conquer every planet in a sector and not worry about diplomacy. Lots of bulk cruisers.)

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away