KDY-150 Ion Cannon

Yabby

Question

Hi guys

Are the Ion Cannons worth building or not? I know they shoot at assaulting troops and I'm wondering if they reduce the bombardment modifier of enemy ships or not.

From what I've read here so far, most players are big fans of the shields and don't consider the LNR defense to be worthwhile but I haven't read much about the humble KDY-150.

8 answers to this question

A KDY is a good choice if you´ve got some characters on that planet, who are maybe on a research mission. Though those characters you can use for research fe. Ackbar have rather weak fighting-skills, so it makes it much easier for them to escape a blockade.

I´m not sure that I really can recall that, but I believe that it also disables ships, so if it comes to a space battle there´s a possibility that one or more ships may be disabled after trying to bombard your planet a couple of times. Correct me if I´m wrong, because I haven´t encountered that much too often in all these years. :?

Who cares at all?! :roll:

As a related question, I seem to recall somewhere that, in Tactical mode, if enemy ships get close enough to your planet, the batteries will fire on them. I don't remember if I read it somewhere or I "saw" it once (though I could easily have mistaken it for a fighter or capship I didn't see against the planet) but for some reason I seem to believe it.

Also, I know the LNRs blow up ships in a bombardment (it seems to me they always nail at least one) and even damage the Death Star (!), so do the KDYs "disable" them (put the sublight/tractors/weapons to zero and fry the hyperdrive, resulting in the red X?).

Once I get a new (and compatable...curse you Toshiba for sending me the wrong type!) power cord for my laptop, I think I'll try and LAN some games against myself to test these things out. Makes things so much easier when you can do that, y'know? :D

The manual says nothing about ground-based batteries opening up on ships in orbit during tactical combat. I'm pretty sure that they don't, and I've certainly never seen them do as much.

The KDY will only fire in the event of a successful enemy planetary assault. You lose control of the system, but anything that was stationed down there, primarily in the realm of characters, will escape and hyp over to the nearest friendly planet/last "confirmed move" place.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

The manual says nothing about ground-based batteries opening up on ships in orbit during tactical combat. I'm pretty sure that they don't, and I've certainly never seen them do as much.

Well darn. Wishful thinking on my part then I guess. Would be kinda cool though.

Also, has anyone had a ship merely damaged by a LNR gun? I always get one ship totally blown away, unless it's the Death Star. I wonder if even that could get destroyed if you bombarded enough (well, except on the "Destroy Planet" option... :twisted: )?

Also, has anyone had a ship merely damaged by a LNR gun? I always get one ship totally blown away, unless it's the Death Star. I wonder if even that could get destroyed if you bombarded enough (well, except on the "Destroy Planet" option... :twisted: )?

I've had an ISD damaged by an LNR before

I've had shipts that were knocked out for a bit due to the KDY firing during planetary assualts. It doesn't destroy them, just makes them unable to move for a few turns.

Yes, that´s what I also can recall.

LNR´s destroy corvette class vessels immediately while bombing a planet. Cruiser class ships will get heaviely damaged and/or soon destroyed.

Who cares at all?! :roll: