How to use diplomats effectively?

Verdex

Question

When I want (or even *need*) a system is it better to

a) send two (or more) diplomats on one single mission together or

b) send each of them on a mission of his / her own?

Which way works faster?

Asteroids do not concern me...

22 answers to this question

If you want to diplomacize a place fast, send two or more diplomats, but have them go on separate missions. If you lump them on the same mission, they wont get an increase in their diplomacy skill level.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

Odd. I always keep most of my diplomats together and send them off in teams of two. They never fail to get a skill increase, they almost always diplomacise faster, and it's always in more substantial incraments (sp?) than when I send them alone. Go figure.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Are you sure they get a skill increase??? I thought they did not, thus I never sent anyone together as agents on a mission (except Jedi Training, of course).

My Website

Well first off look for good diplomats, ones that start with a 75 or higher Diplomacy rating. If you are in a sector with mostly neutral systems (7 of 10) pick the two with strongest favor ratio. Green for Imperial, Red for Rebel, etc. Pick out the ones over %50 in your favor and send one diplomat to each. They should turn the planet within a couple of turns. Cancel the mission and send the diplomat to next strongest ratio which your other diplomat is not already on. Use this method early in the game to get control and resources. The reasoning behind this method is that when a diplomat turns a system, all the other systems in the sector get a small push in ratio towards your side (%2-3 maybe). By starting with the stronger systems you turn them quicker moving the other neutrals closer to your side, turning a quantity of neutrals quickly will move the entire sector to your side (7*%2-3 = %14-21). By the time you turn the last neutral system, the first neutral system you turned will probably be around %70-75 in your favor though you haven't down any diplomacy on it since you started. You will also see this happen as a chain reaction event sometimes when your diplomat turns one system and 3-4 other planets in the same sector without diplomats on them will turn to your side during the same turn.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

Do I have a differant version than everyone else or something? The only time I ever see anything resembling a significant increase in popular support for me based on planet turning is when I liberate an enemy-held planet that either likes me or wants to be neutral. For some reason if you leave a newly liberated neutral planet they will occassionally jump over to your faction. *Shrugs* not entirely certain why.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

I know another 2 ways how to increase loyalty for ur side.

1. U can send some unused non diplomat charaters to do diplomat mission - u send 5 characters with 10-30 diplomacy points each other. In this way (of course, u will send them to a planet, where the loyalty is balanced to ur favor) by a long time u also can aquire the planet.

2. I've been amazed once, when i've sent one Corvette for recon duty - they've found a neutral colonized planet - with loyalty to my factions favor.

I've forgot to remove the ship from above the planet, and i really doesnt remember - after 50-100-150-200 days that planet turned to my side.

I didnt know why happen this, but i observed, that if u leave a ship above a neutral planet wich have more loyalty to your foe, that planet will turn to ur foe's side.

you dont know what you're talking about...

Leaving a ship above a neutral planet will not increase the planet's favor to your side.. The planet will not join the empire/rebels if you keep that ship above that planet antonius, something else must've happened in that system for the planet to join you!

And another thing...

Two posts earlier, someone mentioned a tactic to take control over a complete system in a short amount of time..

The tactic in which you have to sent a diplomat to one planet, take it over, cancel the mission, take over the next planet, etc...

The fact that all those planets are sill not 100% to your side is very dangerous, bcause when playing against a strong AI or multiplayer opponent, your foe only needs to converse one of those planets for the whole system to abondon you! Happened to me twice, not very smart... Make sure that, if you take over a planet, it at least likes you 90 % so you can safely continue taking over that system.. That way you wont lose an entire system at once, if you play against a smart foe...

I know another 2 ways how to increase loyalty for ur side.

1. U can send some unused non diplomat charaters to do diplomat mission - u send 5 characters with 10-30 diplomacy points each other. In this way (of course, u will send them to a planet, where the loyalty is balanced to ur favor) by a long time u also can aquire the planet.

2. ...if u leave a ship above a neutral planet wich have more loyalty to your foe, that planet will turn to ur foe's side.

Alternate suggestion for the characters in the first situation. If you have the characters in the same sector as your diplomats and there is a system of the opposite faction with minimal garrison and is no more than %75 in the opponent's favor find your characters with strong espionage and leadership ratings. Use these characters as two agent, one decoy (high combat, high esp for decoy) configuration in an uprising mission. Uprising has the opposite effect of diplomacy. When the planet reverts to neutral it will create a swing across systems in the sector to your favor. The combination with diplomats on other planets can also create chain reactions.

For your second situation, I can confirm this does work. You can leave a fleet for a prolonged period of time at a neutral planet and it will eventually turn if nothing else in the same sector has interfered with the shift of favor on the system you are blockading. Leaving a fleet over an enemy system for a prolonged period of time, especially a low garrisoned one will also show results more readily in swing to your favor.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

Of course, Budious, the first solution is also a kind of diplomacy.

As i experimented, if u have a planet where u want to incite uprising, it is better to send at least 5 teams.

Ex :

Solo-Chewbakka

Bel Iblis-Mawshiye

Virgilio-Raftican

Derlin-xxx

Neva-xxx

If u send this teams, and they are not captured - is not present a general,maybe u succeed to turn the planet to neutral.

The second thing also work as Budious said-with ur foe.

But, coz i am not a stupid, nor an idiot, i am convinced, that if u leave ur ship above a planet,

and if the bar wich indicates the loyalty is balanced to ur favor, then that planet will turn to u, after a long period. - maybe we can explain this with the fact that the fleet captain doing some diplomacy ....

Is the second mentioned character acting as a decoy or are they both send on the 'regular' mission?

And does anyone know which imperial characters are most succesful in creating uprisings?

All you need for successful uprising missions are characters with high leadership rating, it's optimal to have a high espionage so the mission will not be thwarted by garrisons. Use a bounty hunter character as a team decoy, anybody with high espionage and combat skills to protect weaker officer characters. I suggest on uprising using two members with good leadership ratings... if you are Imperials with Emperor on Coruscant all characters get a %50 leadership bonus, keep that in mind. With Emperor bonus you can be ok with just one strong character as agent portion of mission. Look for creating a combination of 1-2 characters with a combined leadership 130+ rating and don't forget the mission decoy character (you can also use imperial commandos or rebel guerillas as decoys, use 2-3 of those cheaper units in place of a bounty hunter).

Thanks for that advice. I am quite aware of the Seat of Power - I almost never move Palpatine from C. therefore unless necessary.

I always used to think that uprising are a kind of 'negative diplomacy', so I sent diplomats to do it - which worked well. Your opinion on that?

The diplomacy rating does not affect uprisings, only the leadership stat. Though since most of the diplomats in the game have high leadership values, I can see how you thought that.

My Website

1. can send some unused non diplomat charaters to do diplomat mission - u send 5 characters with 10-30 diplomacy points each other. In this way (of course, u will send them to a planet, where the loyalty is balanced to ur favor) by a long time u also can aquire the planet.

2. I've been amazed once, when i've sent one Corvette for recon duty - they've found a neutral colonized planet - with loyalty to my factions favor.

I've forgot to remove the ship from above the planet, and i really doesnt remember - after 50-100-150-200 days that planet turned to my side.

I didnt know why happen this, but i observed, that if u leave a ship above a neutral planet wich have more loyalty to your foe, that planet will turn to ur foe's side.

Opposite of this situation is also true. When you blockade a neutral planet favoured to your opponent for a long time the planet will join to your oppnent

There is also another way that effects loyalty. Losing/destroying troops at bombardment. It also has an effect similar to side change loyalty bonus of a planet by diplomacy.

Destroying a capital ship also has a loyalty effect.

Invading Coruscant has also an effect on Sesswenna sector which only applies for rebels.

Yes, long term blockading neutral systems does have a lon term effect on their political stance, incredibly.

Which is where the game brakes down rather dramatically. I can almost grasp the concept of being blockaded by a Star Destroyer, 'it's potential to reduce the surface of an unprotected planet to molten slag' it's added fighter complement not least, rather blindly, but in the game, any ship has the same economical effect, which makes utterly no sense whatsoever, especially when it it is one of the original game's unarmed transport ships.

Logically, to blockade a system completely should require the drama we saw with the Federation's blockade of Naboo in an interstellar age, not with the simple orbit of a Corellian Corvette or Bulk Transport.

Sort of thing

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Yes, long term blockading neutral systems does have a lon term effect on their political stance, incredibly.

Which is where the game brakes down rather dramatically. I can almost grasp the concept of being blockaded by a Star Destroyer, 'it's potential to reduce the surface of an unprotected planet to molten slag' it's added fighter complement not least, rather blindly, but in the game, any ship has the same economical effect, which makes utterly no sense whatsoever, especially when it it is one of the original game's unarmed transport ships.

Logically, to blockade a system completely should require the drama we saw with the Federation's blockade of Naboo in an interstellar age, not with the simple orbit of a Corellian Corvette or Bulk Transport.

Sort of thing

According to the manual it states, effect of a Blockade. If the enemy controlled planet's favor is not strong in your favor, you lose loyalty to your foe's side. Interesting about a neutral planet, it goes either way it favors eventually to whom it is most loyal to.

It is good to know the exact details of what happens. See other post. I am trying to make a new 'old' version but with complete control over the source engine. No limit on what you want to do anymore in the future.

Maybe as a new rule, the Blockade must be a certain value of ships amount? Likewise, the Smuggling losses due to low support on a planet can be eliminated by a single TIE Fighter in orbit above the planet? Or maybe only a one Capital ship? These things need to be determined for the new gamplay logic. Beta testers welcome once I have a decent alpha up and running.

Game can be advanced in many ways. Too bad there wont a new version of this game :(

Surely after 10 years, if you want something done, we must do it ourselves! A new source engine...not exactly Rebellion 2 but ALOT more access, changes, and hopefully new features. See my other post. Now I just need to be around long enough to complete it. :) Most projects fade away never completed.

It is amazing to hear someone working on the game, I bet everyone addicted to this game had dreamed what they would like if there was a rebellion 2.

Would like to sign up for beta testing if you ever manage to finish coding.

Blockading a neutral or enemy planet even with a small fleet reduces popularity. Arriving in orbit with a huge fleet increasees support. This does not apply to small fleets even when they pose a sufficient threat. Also the blockade effect only takes place when its maintained long term.

There seems to be a difference of opinion on whether parking a ship in orbit over a non-affiliated planet can make a distance...

I can assure you that if a planet has basically evenly divided loyalty (which many do) it can make a difference. I have done it several times using nothing more than a corvette. It takes a while (about 100 turns) but if you have an extra ship in an area, and no available diplomats close by it is an option.

Note that most 'Sector Wide' bonuses only apply to the core.

Bombing Civilian Targets, Liberating a planet held by force, even the minuscule change when a planet joins one side or the other (it's tiny but it's there. Getting 2-3 planets from one diplomacy mission DOES happen, regularly). These all only apply in the core. In the rim, you can do anything you want practically and it won't affect any planet but the one it's being done to.

The sole exception being... that funny little 'Destroy Planet' button the Imps can get. That is the ONLY case where what you do to a planet affects planets outside the sector, and also the only way for something happening to a rim world to affect support anywhere else. As a matter of fact, the support hit is so devastating it makes 'destroy planet' mostly useless. Even if you destroy a rebel planet, the own-sector bonus doesn't even close to make up for the hit everywhere else. One of the reasons Death Stars suck. In fact, the only two redeeming attributes I've ever found with a Death Star, are it's massive Fighter and Troop carrying capacity...and the fact that it is the only unit in the game that can survive a hit from an LNRII in a regular bombardment(this is also the only way a Death Star can end up 'Damaged'. For the record: It looked like it'd take about five hits to kill it, if I remember right).