I've tried everything...

PinkE

Question

but my game STILL wont work on my computer. about a year ago it let me install it, play it and all...but then i had to uninstall it.

I start the game up, and the first screen comes up, the intro music plays and everything. i think click "install", then the screen goes black, the music plays again...then it goes back to the desktop screen.

I have a Dell with windows XP. I have plenty of room left so its not a memory problem or anything like that. i even tried running the compatibility program but that wouldnt even work, but mabye i was doing it wrong? someone please help me out, i want to play my friggin game! lol

5 answers to this question

So the game used to work and then you uninstalled it? I would suggest a clean install of the game, use the uninstall from Add/Remove Programs Control Panel, not the games Uninstaller Tool. Browse to Program Files\Lucas Arts\ and Delete the Star Wars Rebellion folder. Reinstall using the Full option and see if that works.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

I have this problem as well. The game AutoPlay's when I insert the CD-ROM, as soon as I select "install" from the Launcher, then the system waits and gives me this error message: "Can't run 16-bit Windows program! Insufficient memory to run this application."

I have tried using the compatibility mode for 95, 98/ME, and 2000 and none work, the installer continues to give this error. I have tried turning the page file on and off. I have done the autoexec.nt/config.nt rename trick.

I have a Dell Laptop (Inspiron 9300) with Windows XP SP2 with current updates

Rebellion formerly worked on my laptop as well, only thing I can guess is that the latest DirectX implementation hates the installer? The laptop uses a PCI-e graphics solution (nVidia 6800) rather than AGP, which may be the root of the problem, but installer previously ran on the computer.

I wish there were a .reg file out there I could just load into my registry and copy all the files into the right folder with the savegame folder made and have it work.

That's typically an error message displayed by Windows XP 64-bit editon. 32-bit Windows is capable of running 16/32 bit applications; XP 64-bit on the other hand can only run 32/64 bit applications. If you indeed do have XP 32-bit then it may be some type of memory shadowing option or PAE addressing is turned on in the laptop's BIOS. Try adjusting those features in the laptop's system BIOS if they are available (on laptops, options can be limited). Otherwise, also try downloading and installing the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0 - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=24da89e9-b581-47b0-b45e-492dd6da2971&displaylang=en

If that doesn't fix it, create a gmail account and mail me at [ budious at gmail dot com ] and I can email the 64-bit installation tool which also works on 32-bit windows.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

I had the same problem and I believe I've fixed it. ::Knock on Wood::

Everything installed correctly and I've just started a game, so so far so good.

What I did was followed the instructions in this link. Mine worked after doing Step 17. Here's hoping everyone else has the same luck.

I'm running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 1.