Model upgrades

HunterADA

Question

This has probably been asked a dozen times before, but since I'm a newbie here, I'll ask again.

I've seen that there are new ship models here. I realize that the 'screenshots' page is a TC from Homeworld 2, not Rebellion. Are the new models more detailed/prettier versions of the original ones, on the same detail level, or for an entirely different game?

Even back in '98, the graphics on SWR weren't the game's strong point. If I can use a player-created mod to fix that, I'd like to, but I'm still not sure what's up with the model files.

12 answers to this question

The models in this forum's download section are all for Rebellion and they were all made from scratch ;)

You can preview the ones I converted on my site (yup, I know I gotta fix the layout).

As for Warlords, you'd have to check the StarWars mods section of the download area, or visit eville's sitedirectly.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

Also, you can check out the modelling area on the forum. There are some examples of works there, and it's also the place to ask about modelling (how to do it etc. if some of the downloadable tutorials are to hard to understand) or even request models.

However, for the later (requesting models) you probably wont get much fo a responce at the moment from the modellers on the forum - I know that a few of them are quiet busy at the moment with real life and other projects and simply wont be able to take on the extra work.

Nevertheless, have fun with the existing models in the download section - there's a nice database of varying models from the movies and from the EU :)

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

However, for the later (requesting models) you probably wont get much fo a responce at the moment from the modellers on the forum

Didn't mean to imply that I expected someone to give the noob's game a custom facelift. :)

I'm glad to know that those actually are SWR files though and not for modding another game to look like a SW game.

Well I downloaded some ships. followed the install instructions. and I still can't get the ships into the game. I've started a new games one for each side and research still ends without the new models. what have I done wrong.

Righty! A step-by-step walkthrough for replacing models in the game.:-)

:arrow: Download the Resource Hacker tool

:arrow: Open Resource Hacker

:arrow: File> C:Drive> Program Files> Lucasarts> Star Wars Rebellion> TACTICAL>DLL

:arrow: Expand the 301 folder

:arrow: Expand the folder corresponding to the model you are replacing; for example 2100 (Alliance Dradnaught)You will note three corresponding folders, 2100, 2101, and 2102. These relate to close, medium, and far ship models in the game. We've expanded the first folder.

:arrow: Open the folder where you've downloaded the replacement model files from this site. For example The_Mask's very woo Dreadnaught replacement. You will note there are six files. At this stage we're replacing the model, not the textures, so the relevant files are the ones named close.x, medium.x, and far.x.

:arrow: Having expanded the 2100 folder click on the 1033 entry you see there. This is what we're replacing.

:arrow: Right click, and left click on replace a resource.

:arrow: Open File with a new resource. Find the Dreadnaught file you want tro import and select close.x

:arrow: Resource type is 301

:arrow: resource name is the folder we're working in, ie: 2100

:arrow: Resource Language IS ALWAYS 1033

:arrow: Repeat this process for medium in the 2101 folder, remembering the Resource Name is now 2101, and for far in the 2102 folder.

:arrow: File> Save

Part one done!

Part Two: The Textures.

:arrow: Expand the 303 Folder below the 301 folder. We're not actually going to work from the folders here.

:arrow: Click on the Action tab at the top.

:arrow: Click on Add a New Resource.

:arrow: Locate the file where you've downloaded your replacement model. We're now going to be using the three remaining files, which in this case will be dread_c, dread_f, and dread_m. These are the files that give life to the ship models, and the reason why the modlers' are reveared in this community.We need to import all three files in the game files, so:

:arrow: Open File with New Resource> dread_c

:arrow: Resource Type is always 303

:arrow: Resource Name is dread_c.bmp

:arrow: Resource Language is always 1033

It's the Resource Name that tends to the problem, people have a tendancy to forget to add .bmp

Anyway, repeat process for the remaining two.

:arrow: File> save

CLOSE RESOURCE HACKER.

Open RebEd> Check new model spinning away... say WOOO!!:-)

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Thank you Jahled I now see my mistake.

No problemo dude! :) Not understanding something first time round isn't a crime, and thing's like what you asked perplexed me at one time, so glad all that typing actually worked. Given this is actually something I said I would do a year or two ago, I guess the Step-by-step fighter importer walkthrough my mysterious fingers might just scroll by 2008...

EDIT:

one more thing when putting in new models do I have to delete some older models or is it only if I'm replacing models like the dreadnaught. I have not download any replacement models just new models.

No need to deleate anything. Just leave game as is... :wink:

ok I've done the textures to the models I wanted to add Overlord SSD Allegiance Majestic Viscount and Balarus. now how do I put them into the 301 folder? I found the files close.x. medium.x. and far.x. do I make new folder numbers? sorry to be a pain in the rear. just stuck on that part.

ok I've done the textures to the models I wanted to add Overlord SSD Allegiance Majestic Viscount and Balarus. now how do I put them into the 301 folder? I found the files close.x. medium.x. and far.x. do I make new folder numbers? sorry to be a pain in the rear. just stuck on that part.

Follow my instructions step by step, replacing models doesn't involve making new folder numbers. You are simply adding stuff to the TACTICAL.DLL folder the game uses. I'm a little lost how you can be thus thwarted with the said ships... the process is exactly the same!

You have of course downloaded The_Mask's basic tutorial haven't you about what things are what etc

Kearsley wrote:

ok I've done the textures to the models I wanted to add Overlord SSD Allegiance Majestic Viscount and Balarus. now how do I put them into the 301 folder? I found the files close.x. medium.x. and far.x. do I make new folder numbers? ...

Jahled wrote:

Follow my instructions step by step, replacing models doesn't involve making new folder numbers. You are simply adding stuff to the TACTICAL.DLL folder the game uses. I'm a little lost how you can be thus thwarted with the said ships... the process is exactly the same!

I think what Kearsley doesn't understand J, is that each ship already has its own number folder in the 301 folder (for example). He just needs to get the correct folder number for whichever ship he is going to replace with the new data. The number of ships is hardwired into the game code and the best "we" (the users) can do is modify the existing data. To that end find which ships you don't want to use any more and replace them (per the instructions from J) with the ships you do want to use. OK Kearsley? :wink:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?