Help with installtion on new computer.

nyanman

Question

I just bought SWReb at a thrift store and have tried to install it, but it keeps on saying "the program "\??\E:\install\setup.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of windows. please contact vendor to ask if 64-widows compatible versions are available." I tried tried to run in compatibility mode (with windows 95) but it didn't work. my computer is windows 8, and I jus bought it this year. it I preferable to me to download the minimum of software or whatever. help

2 answers to this question

Read this thread for downloads: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=28308

Short story: The game installer runs in 16-bit, Microsoft dumped 16-bit application support in 64-bit operating systems. The installed game is 32-bit though, so with some manual patching it can run directly on a host 64-bit system. If that sounds too complicated, then the slightly less complicated option is to install a virtual machine application (VirtualBox, VMware, etc.) and use Windows XP 32-bit as a guest operating system to install the game normally.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

• SWR Staff - Executive
It's time to stop playing with VM's and the CD and get a new working copy from Steam or GOG.com (see this post - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28384 ). Then you can install it on any newer version of Windows from Windows 7 on up, and use it with RebEd too! They are cheap, run from $6-$10, sometimes less.