Welcome Anonymous!
We host quality Star Wars sites - inquire at The Star Wars Rebellion Network  
SW:Rebellion Network
imminent-bean

Post subject: Re: Long Time no See... and Traitors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:27 pm 
<!-- Admiral -->

Actually, now that I think about it, I may have had Alliance dreadnoughts on some starts because I messed with card positions...

But yes, the Empire never gets carriers. Usually, those are the first capital ships I build, right after assembling a horde of fighters to go in them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:14 pm 
<!-- Warlord -->

I usually build the cap ships first, strictly so I know exactly how many fighters I need for a given fleet. It helps that my AI opponent usually can't do anything to stop me after day ~5.

Grand AKmiral
Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces
(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium
"To BEAK is Divine!"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:08 am 
<!-- Admiral -->

I'm trying out RogueIce's suggestion: lowered maintenance for my opponent by a large margin. Coupled with some other things I've done to help the AI, the Empire is actually providing a bit of challenge. Not tactically or strategically, but there are just so many of them.

I don't have firm numbers, but I counted over a dozen ISDs in the first ~15 days. And dozens of VSDs. This may be the only time the Empire has matched me fighter for fighter in every one of their fleets. Around day 150, no less than four fleets showed up all at once, each blockading important worlds, and each fleet was big enough to give my one largest fleet a run for its money in combat. Couldn't attack a second fleet after losing two Mon Cals and having most of the rest disabled in the first fleet engagement; had to wait them out under cover of shields.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:47 pm 
<!-- Corporal //-->

Master_Xan wrote:
I'm trying out RogueIce's suggestion: lowered maintenance for my opponent by a large margin. Coupled with some other things I've done to help the AI, the Empire is actually providing a bit of challenge. Not tactically or strategically, but there are just so many of them.

When quality fails, go with quantity. :wink:

Master_Xan wrote:
I don't have firm numbers, but I counted over a dozen ISDs in the first ~15 days. And dozens of VSDs. This may be the only time the Empire has matched me fighter for fighter in every one of their fleets. Around day 150, no less than four fleets showed up all at once, each blockading important worlds, and each fleet was big enough to give my one largest fleet a run for its money in combat. Couldn't attack a second fleet after losing two Mon Cals and having most of the rest disabled in the first fleet engagement; had to wait them out under cover of shields.

That sounds like a pretty tough game, there. I don't think I could manage, personally. The AI would kick my butt if they had those kind of numbers by that point. :(

I'd love to know how it all turns out. Your description sounds exactly like what you'd expect from an overmatched Rebellion going up against the might of the Galactic Empire. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:21 pm 
<!-- Warlord -->

I'll have to try that in my next game.

Grand AKmiral
(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium
"To BEAK is Divine!"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:52 pm 
<!-- Corporal //-->

So yeah, if you do this, don't start an Expert Game on a Huge Galaxy as the Alliance with the Imp maintenance costs reduced to 1/1.

Because around Duros alone I found Fleet 8. Composed of 36 ships, which included...Imperial Star Destroyer 87 and Victory Destroyer 256 8O

Yeah I don't think I could ever win this game.

EDIT: It got worse. Around Berchest I found Imperial Star Destroyer 108. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:33 pm 
<!-- Warlord -->

I have already done almost what you said not to do. I went with intermediate. Details here.

Grand AKmiral
(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium
"To BEAK is Divine!"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:16 am 
<!-- Admiral -->

RogueIce wrote:
That sounds like a pretty tough game, there. I don't think I could manage, personally. The AI would kick my butt if they had those kind of numbers by that point. :(

I'd love to know how it all turns out. Your description sounds exactly like what you'd expect from an overmatched Rebellion going up against the might of the Galactic Empire. :D

I also lowered the travel time for all units (ships as well as everything else), so the AI is performing better than usual, as they are not as hampered by their tendency to rearrange units across the galaxy. I'm playing on HQ victory, hard, small galaxy. All sectors colonized at start.

I've already lost 2-3 operatives. As in dead, whilest trying to sabotage Imperial ships. Han and Luke were both captured at one point, but the fleet they were on showed up and I managed to take it down, allowing them to escape. Doing so cost me every capital ship I had in my main sector (either to destruction or disablement). It has been a long road to recovery...

I've been forced to pull fleet assets out of almost every sector, along with everything else. Only three sectors are actively under conflict; I lack the resources to do anything in the rest.

More details as the are available, but I'm moving, so... not much free time.