Caps Bits

virtualboxplayer

Question

12 answers to this question

Looks like you tried asking on VirtualBox's forums. Not much help over there, were they.

VirtualBox doesn't handle 3D graphics very well at all. There are a few dozen different work arounds, none of which helped me get my copy of Star Trek: Fallen working, nor Star Trek: Dominion Wars, nor Croc, nor other games from that general era.

Before trying anything else, I would verify that your copy of DirectX is the correct version for the game. Easiest to just install DirectX straight from the Rebellion CD. If you already did that, skip to the next thing.

You can try turning off extra settings for the tactical battles. If the game crashes right as you get into the battle, you may not have a chance to do that; I can't remember offhand if the tactical battle settings are accessible from the main settings menu or not. If they aren't, I'm not sure how to change the settings outside of the game; you can try looking for a settings file, or open files with Notepad++. Just make sure you open copies of the files, as some file formats can be corrupted by a program interpreting them incorrectly. Np++ should be smarter than that, but better safe than sorry.

If that doesn't work, or you want an easier solution, install a different version of Windows and try it there. VirtualBox with Windows 2000 Pro ran Rebellion just fine for me, no hiccups. I imagine you could try Windows 98 or even 95 and see if it works. The interactions between your physical hardware, your real drivers, VirtualBox, and the virtual OS, with its virtual drivers supplied by VirtualBox, changes when you alter any of the components. Another OS might work for you, if you have the old copies around.

Or you can try it in VMware Player, or some other VM software. I've found that VMware handles 3D graphics a little bit better than VirtualBox. I said a little bit- there are still problems, but after tinkering I was able to get my other games working in VMware, even though they didn't work in VirtualBox. Again, if VMware and XP don't run Rebellion, I can vouch for it working correctly in Win 2000 Pro, and it may work in 98 or 95. I wouldn't try ME except as a last resort- that OS is cursed.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

Don't have and can't obtain easy access to Win 2000 and don't have a floppy drive to try Win 95 (which is probably moldy and corrupted anyway).

I'll try Virtual PC next, but I don't have the time ATM to configure another virtual machine. Playing a game is an hr at most (esp if you can save). Configuring a virtual machine takes hours.

Really? Doesn't take me nearly so long to configure a VM. Setting it up should only take a few minutes, then you pop the OS disc in and go do something else while it takes forever to install.

Let us know how it works with Virtual PC. I'm always curious about what works and what doesn't.

In the end, I couldn't get Virtual PC to install properly so I tried VMware. The space battles work on VMware, but the core game runs badly and the screen crazes up after a while. So... what I can do is play the main game in Oracle VirtualBox, and whenever there's a space battle, transfer to VMware, play there, save, and transfer back.

Re: the hours. I meant including the installation, reading help screens, configuration (e.g., setting up shared drives between the host and guest machines) and debugging.

Ah. That makes more sense.

That is really strange behavior from VMware. I wonder if it really makes that much difference that you are using XP. It shouldn't, but maybe it does. You can always find a cheap copy of 2000 or 98 to try on; check your local craigs list, or ask around. Might be worth $5 to play through without all that hassle transferring back and forth.

Or, wait and hope that GOG.com puts out Rebellion in a format modern OSs can play.

Star Wars Rebellion doesn't require hardware acceleration to work in the VirtualBox. If you have it enabled, and/or the alternative hardware accelerated DirectX to OpenGL driver (make sure it was installed while in Windows "Safe Mode" on the guest OS if you did), then try disabling the hardware acceleration, and/or removing the accelerated driver and using the standard VirtualBox display driver.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy