Movies Freeze the Game

IG-88

Question

Hello. I used to play SWR and just decided to attempt to install it again on my new computer, which runs Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64 bit). I followed the instructions posted in the Rebellion Refresh package and set it up to run Rebellion and Reloaded. The game does run, but freezes whenever a movie should start. There is no error message. It just freezes and I have to Ctl+Alt+Delete to close it.

I tried running both Rebellion and Reloaded in multiple compatibility modes and with a different smack dll file, but no success.

I also tried removing the MDATA folder. When I do this, I get the error messages that MDATA.00 and MDATA.01 are missing, but then the main game menu opens. The game freezes whenever I click on the icons to start a new game as either the empire or rebels.

3 answers to this question

Are you playing windowed or fullscreen?

The instructions that I've found on the site for playing the game in Windows 7 do not apply to Windows 8. I am not sure if it's because they are incomplete, or there are additional steps for Windows 8. In any case, it can't hurt to try at the bottom of the thread here.

Trying in a virtual machine will work for the base game, the TC will not install if you are running it with any virtualization technology.

If your game is freezing while playing the movies but working when you delete the folder, what that tells me is that either Slocket's right in that the videos are fine and you can't decode them OR there may be a problem with your version of those files. You may want to try getting fresh copies of those files from your CD. If that doesn't work, maybe you need fresh copies from someone on the board.