Pixel Format invalid

SpaysMuhreen

Question

Hey guys, first time posting on here. When I choose to command a space battle, it gives me the error "Pixel Format was invalid as specified." What do I do? Everything else works perfectly fine and I can even hear the sounds of my fleet arriving.

15 answers to this question

Does your error message look like this?

http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/203/invalidpixelformat.png

I'm running Rebellion "windowed" in XP; I just click "OK" (actually this pops up twice) and everything runs like normal. Do you NOT see the battle if you click "OK"?

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

I'm running Rebellion "windowed" in XP; I just click "OK" (actually this pops up twice) and everything runs like normal

To add to DarthTex's post, I believe this happens in windowed mode regardless of OS (I have tried on XP, 7, and 8). Through reading this forum's many varied posts, it looks like this is just an artifact of running in windowed mode and because this game was created at a time when the graphics engine was...confused to say the least. I don't remember seeing this in XP fullscreen, but I could be mistaken.

TL;DR: if it's not preventing you from playing, I would just ignore it.

Does your error message look like this?

http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/203/invalidpixelformat.png

I'm running Rebellion "windowed" in XP; I just click "OK" (actually this pops up twice) and everything runs like normal. Do you NOT see the battle if you click "OK"?

Yes, and I can't see anything.

Can you get the game to run in full screen mode?

Otherwise, I'm not sure what to tell you. Its probably the way in which Rebellion is interacting with your video card or the driver. Personally, I gave up trying to make it work on modern systems; I just play in a VM with Windows 2000. Much less stress involved that way.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

Can you get the game to run in full screen mode?

Otherwise, I'm not sure what to tell you. Its probably the way in which Rebellion is interacting with your video card or the driver. Personally, I gave up trying to make it work on modern systems; I just play in a VM with Windows 2000. Much less stress involved that way.

I don't know how, I just lower the resolution on my screen.

Sure thing Slocket, but let's talk about it in the other thread.

SpaysMuhreen, it just occurred to me that if you aren't running in window mode, perhaps you can try doing so and see if that works.

Well how do I do that?

If you have a shortcut for REBEXE.exe, just add -window or -w to the file path, which is in the "Target" field. Do this by right clicking the shortcut and selecting "Properties." Here is an example using my shortcut in Windows 2000:

C:\Games\Rebellion\REBEXE.exe -w

Newer versions of Windows put quotes around the path. In which case, it would look like this:

"C:\Games\Rebellion\REBEXE.exe" -w

If you don't have a shortcut, right click on the exe and select "Create Shortcut." Then go to the new shortcut's properties and add the option, as above. Note that not all games/programs support this, but many do, and Rebellion does. Also note that you CAN do this with the shortcut the game creates inside your Start Menu (if you chose to create it when you installed the game). If it doesn't work, or the game loads but doesn't fix the problem with tactical combat, remove the -w to restore normal functionality.

Once you have the shortcut created and modified, just run the game with that shortcut. You cannot load the game from the CD or through RebEd, as these point directly to the exe and not the shortcut. Speaking of which, REBEXE is located inside your install directory; default is C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Rebellion (or something like that, I forget exactly).

Edited by Master_Xan

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

If you have a shortcut for REBEXE.exe, just add -window or -w to the file path, which is in the "Target" field. Do this by right clicking the shortcut and selecting "Properties." Here is an example using my shortcut in Windows 2000:

C:\Games\Rebellion\REBEX.exe -w

Newer versions of Windows put quotes around the path. In which case, it would look like this:

"C:\Games\Rebellion\REBEX.exe" -w

If you don't have a shortcut, right click on the exe and select "Create Shortcut." Then go to the new shortcut's properties and add the option, as above. Note that not all games/programs support this, but many do, and Rebellion does. Also note that you CAN do this with the shortcut the game creates inside your Start Menu (if you chose to create it when you installed the game). If it doesn't work, or the game loads but doesn't fix the problem with tactical combat, remove the -w to restore normal functionality.

Once you have the shortcut created and modified, just run the game with that shortcut.

Thanks, i was going to ask

C:\Games\Rebellion\REBEXE.exe -w

"C:\Games\Rebellion\REBEXE.exe" -w

Once you have the shortcut created and modified, just run the game with that shortcut. You cannot load the game from the CD or through RebEd, as these point directly to the exe and not the shortcut. Speaking of which, REBEXE is located inside your install directory; default is C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Rebellion (or something like that, I forget exactly).

It still displays the error, but I can do everything now, thanks!