Welcome Anonymous!
We host quality Star Wars sites - inquire at The Star Wars Rebellion Network  
SW:Rebellion Network
imminent-bean

Post subject: Pixel Format invalid
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:42 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Hey guys, first time posting on here. When I choose to command a space battle, it gives me the error "Pixel Format was invalid as specified." What do I do? Everything else works perfectly fine and I can even hear the sounds of my fleet arriving.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pixel Format invalid
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:58 pm 
<!-- Admiral -->

What version of Windows? Also, is it 32 bit or 64? Have you modified the game in any way?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:09 am 
<!-- Warlord -->

Location: Death Stars are out at night, big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas.
Does your error message look like this?

I'm running Rebellion "windowed" in XP; I just click "OK" (actually this pops up twice) and everything runs like normal. Do you NOT see the battle if you click "OK"?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:29 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

DarthTex wrote:
I'm running Rebellion "windowed" in XP; I just click "OK" (actually this pops up twice) and everything runs like normal

To add to DarthTex's post, I believe this happens in windowed mode regardless of OS (I have tried on XP, 7, and 8). Through reading this forum's many varied posts, it looks like this is just an artifact of running in windowed mode and because this game was created at a time when the graphics engine was...confused to say the least. I don't remember seeing this in XP fullscreen, but I could be mistaken.

TL;DR: if it's not preventing you from playing, I would just ignore it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:52 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Master_Xan wrote:
What version of Windows? Also, is it 32 bit or 64? Have you modified the game in any way?

I'm on Windows 7, and I just did the stuff for it to work on Windows 7 64 bit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:52 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

DarthTex wrote:
Does your error message look like this?

I'm running Rebellion "windowed" in XP; I just click "OK" (actually this pops up twice) and everything runs like normal. Do you NOT see the battle if you click "OK"?

Yes, and I can't see anything.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:55 pm 
<!-- Admiral -->

Can you get the game to run in full screen mode?

Otherwise, I'm not sure what to tell you. Its probably the way in which Rebellion is interacting with your video card or the driver. Personally, I gave up trying to make it work on modern systems; I just play in a VM with Windows 2000. Much less stress involved that way.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:59 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Master_Xan wrote:
Can you get the game to run in full screen mode?

Otherwise, I'm not sure what to tell you. Its probably the way in which Rebellion is interacting with your video card or the driver. Personally, I gave up trying to make it work on modern systems; I just play in a VM with Windows 2000. Much less stress involved that way.

I don't know how, I just lower the resolution on my screen.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:35 pm 
<!-- Admiral -->

You aren't running in window mode at all? Hm. Other than running in a VM, I can't help you.

Anyone else have ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:44 am 
<!-- Colonel -->

Xan can you check a small UI demo to see if it works for you I made yesterday under the demo release topic? thanks.

http://www.filedropper.com/rebellion2013

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:37 am 
<!-- Admiral -->

Sure thing Slocket, but let's talk about it in the other thread.

SpaysMuhreen, it just occurred to me that if you aren't running in window mode, perhaps you can try doing so and see if that works.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:01 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Master_Xan wrote:
Sure thing Slocket, but let's talk about it in the other thread.

SpaysMuhreen, it just occurred to me that if you aren't running in window mode, perhaps you can try doing so and see if that works.

Well how do I do that?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:18 pm 
<!-- Admiral -->

If you have a shortcut for REBEXE.exe, just add -window or -w to the file path, which is in the "Target" field. Do this by right clicking the shortcut and selecting "Properties." Here is an example using my shortcut in Windows 2000:

C:\Games\Rebellion\REBEXE.exe -w

Newer versions of Windows put quotes around the path. In which case, it would look like this:

"C:\Games\Rebellion\REBEXE.exe" -w

If you don't have a shortcut, right click on the exe and select "Create Shortcut." Then go to the new shortcut's properties and add the option, as above. Note that not all games/programs support this, but many do, and Rebellion does. Also note that you CAN do this with the shortcut the game creates inside your Start Menu (if you chose to create it when you installed the game). If it doesn't work, or the game loads but doesn't fix the problem with tactical combat, remove the -w to restore normal functionality.

Once you have the shortcut created and modified, just run the game with that shortcut. You cannot load the game from the CD or through RebEd, as these point directly to the exe and not the shortcut. Speaking of which, REBEXE is located inside your install directory; default is C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Rebellion (or something like that, I forget exactly).

Last edited by Master_Xan on Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:26 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Master_Xan wrote:
If you have a shortcut for REBEXE.exe, just add -window or -w to the file path, which is in the "Target" field. Do this by right clicking the shortcut and selecting "Properties." Here is an example using my shortcut in Windows 2000:

C:\Games\Rebellion\REBEX.exe -w

Newer versions of Windows put quotes around the path. In which case, it would look like this:

"C:\Games\Rebellion\REBEX.exe" -w

If you don't have a shortcut, right click on the exe and select "Create Shortcut." Then go to the new shortcut's properties and add the option, as above. Note that not all games/programs support this, but many do, and Rebellion does. Also note that you CAN do this with the shortcut the game creates inside your Start Menu (if you chose to create it when you installed the game). If it doesn't work, or the game loads but doesn't fix the problem with tactical combat, remove the -w to restore normal functionality.

Once you have the shortcut created and modified, just run the game with that shortcut.

Thanks, i was going to ask

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:30 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Master_Xan wrote:

C:\Games\Rebellion\REBEXE.exe -w

"C:\Games\Rebellion\REBEXE.exe" -w

Once you have the shortcut created and modified, just run the game with that shortcut. You cannot load the game from the CD or through RebEd, as these point directly to the exe and not the shortcut. Speaking of which, REBEXE is located inside your install directory; default is C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Rebellion (or something like that, I forget exactly).

It still displays the error, but I can do everything now, thanks!

Profile E-mail