We host quality Star Wars sites - inquire at The Star Wars Rebellion Network  
SW:Rebellion Network
imminent-bean

Post subject: Re: Problems with Rebellion on WIN8
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:11 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

have you tried the steps posted here: viewtopic.php?t=27471

Quote:
Download the "Rebellion Refreshed and Reloaded Ultimate Package (x86/x64)"http://www.swrebellion.com/forums/postt3937.html, and the Reloaded TC.

Unzip the package (it has all the "extra" files you'll need), and use it to complete the instructions below:

x64 Users
- Open the Star Wars Rebellion cd in explorer.
- Copy everything from D:\Rebellion to C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion
- Right-Click on the file Rebellion_x64.reg and select the merge option.
- Download the TC beta and follow the directions included in README.
- Rename C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion to C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded.
- Move C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\star Wars Reloaded.
- Right-Click on the file Reloaded_x64.reg and select the merge option.
- Delete REBEXE.EXE from C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded
- Copy RELOADED.EXE to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded
- (Vista users only) Copy the d3drm.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded
- Manually create a new desktop shortcut pointing to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded\RELOADED.EXE
- Copy everything from D:\Rebellion to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion
- Copy REBEXE.EXE to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion, Click Yes to replace.
- (Vista users only) Copy the d3drm.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion
- Create a Rebellion desktop shortcut to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion\REBEXE.EXE
- Take a deep breathe, make a choice, click either Rebellion or Reloaded shortcut and relax

Also, try copying d3drm.dll and smackw32.dll from the rebellion disc to your rebellion installation directory. (C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion)
Also, try running the game as administrator.

Also, I just found out that if you run the game windowed in the first place, you may not need the ddraw.dll hack i posted earlier.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:02 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Hi darthcircuit !!

...And tx. Your solotion with the ddraw.dll solved the graphics problem. The game runs fine on Win 8 (with reb. refresh package) (just force in 640x480 via reb.exe)
And remove the impbriff.dll / albrief.dll to avoid long briefing.

Just one problem remains....

The in game manual combat, - when i try to run the manuel battles the game stops (action not supported!)

Might you have an idea here too?

Tx again for help playing this classic.

Peter

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:29 am 
<!-- Colonel -->

I just installed rebellion on a Acer Aspire One 725 net book with W8 and got it running fine. At first it would also have the small icons upside down and reverse color. I ran it with the "reb.exe -w" switch in window mode to get it to work. I used not the graphics hack of ddraw.

The battle in 3D manually work fine too. I also have Rebellion run in W XP 3 mode with 480*640 tagged. It made one message to "incorrect palette color" but continued to run fine with proper color. No crashes and return to normal 2D game run after it was done.

So it will (possible) at least on my machine to run the 3D battles. There is that error message that briefly shows up then proceeds to play normally, instead of crashing as you experience. Also I checked run as administrator. :?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:54 am 
<!-- Cadet //-->

I again!

The hack files darthcircuit refers to..... (http://sol.gfxile.net/ddhack/) only contains one ddraw.dll. Then is also contains a ddhack.cfg file.

Do I have to edit the ddhack.cfg file to get Rebellion to work?

As mentioned i get "action not supported" when trying to start manual combat in the game. Everything else works fine.

Hope for assistance! =)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:23 pm 
<!-- Colonel -->

It would seem your directX functions are not working. Are you sure you have the exact file d3drm.dll installed? It is not the same file. It must be installed manually also since the new version of DX does not contain it. Without it, you will absolutely not have any 3D battles.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:25 am 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Hi Slocket!

I have the d3drm.dll in the folder too......and the smackw32.dll

Everything works fine EXCEPT the manual battles!!!!!

So it puzzles me what I am missing 8O

Best regards
Peter

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:09 am 
<!-- Cadet //-->

you may try playing without the ddraw hack that i posted. If you just force it to run in a window (-w switch in shortcut), it seems to fix the graphics problem. the ddraw hack was made for starcraft, so it's may not work in the 3d portions of the game. to be honest i usually autocalc battles. I haven't really tried that portion out yet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:49 am 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Hi Darthcircuit!

I have tryed inserting the following in the ddhack.cfg as mentioned in the readme:

bilinear - smoothed graphics
halfnhalf - first upscaled, then bilinear interpolated graphics (wc1/wc2 only)
showlogo - keep the ddhack logo on screen
subtleoldlcd - subtle trails on graphics
oldlcd - trails on graphics
veryoldlcd - very trippy trails on graphics
wc3scandouble - scan-double deinterlace wc3 videos
wc3blurvideo - run a box blur filter on video
wc3smallvid - render videos in smaller resolution surrounded by black borders (-no_interlace only)
altwinpos - alternate window position; may help if you get a black screen

.....with no result, - still giving me the "Action not supported" when trying to take manual control in battles.

Since you so elegantly supported the "grapical glitch" solution, i was also hoping you could "solve the rest".

Merry Christmas
Peter

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:03 pm 
<!-- Colonel -->

Are you trying to play this on a tablet phone? Some of those integrated graphics cards may not support 3D?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:23 am 
<!-- Cadet //-->

No tablet, - just highend win 8 PC.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:10 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Quote:
Download the "Rebellion Refreshed and Reloaded Ultimate Package (x86/x64)"http://www.swrebellion.com/forums/postt3937.html, and the Reloaded TC.

Unzip the package (it has all the "extra" files you'll need), and use it to complete the instructions below:

- Copy everything from D:\Rebellion to C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion
- Right-Click on the file Rebellion_x64.reg and select the edit option.
- For every instance of "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion", replace it with "C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion".
- Download the TC beta
- Extract TC beta into C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion\beta
- Make sure you have reshacker installed on your system
- Make sure you have rebed installed on your system
- Set the TC's setup.exe to compatibility mode XP SP 3 and run as administrator
- Ensure that any virtualization technology (VMWare, Virtualbox, Hyper-V, Virtual XP mode, VirtualPC) are uninstalled or turned off if not uninstallable
- Run the tc installer
- Set rebed.exe to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP 3 and run as administrator
- move the .reb file in the tc card folder to the rebed folder
- Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\LucasArts\Rebellion\ and set the values for dlllocation and toobiglocation to your CD Drive letter (for example, if your CD is the D drive set it to "D:")
- Run Rebed and click on partial installer. Make sure that the numbers match on both columns. If they do, go ahead and close the partial installer window and load settings for TC. Close rebed
- Rename C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion to C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded.
- Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\LucasArts\Rebellion\ and set the values for dlllocation and toobiglocation to "C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded". Change all references to "C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion" to "C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded"

- Delete REBEXE.EXE from C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded
- Copy RELOADED.EXE to C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded
- (Vista users only) Copy the d3drm.dll to C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded
-To run windowed mode and avoid upside down graphics, right click and drag reloaded.exe to the desktop and select "create shortcut here". Right click on the newly created shortcut and select properties. Click anywhere in the target box, hit end (so you are past the ") and enter [space] -w. ("C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded\Reloaded.exe" -w)

EDIT: Ok, I got everything working. The nature of the problems that I was having was that files in the Program Files folder (both 64 and 86) are read-only and Rebed writes DIRECTLY to those folders. This is a little misleading because of the phrasing on the two buttons: "Save Configuration" and "Load Configuration". "Save Configuration" is "save to file", or an export function. "Load Configuration" is "apply configuration file to rebellion". Again, I think the terms are generally misleading because "save" and "load" usually mean "save to disk" and "load to memory", whereas in Rebed they both imply writing to disk.
So, there are two solutions to this: 1 is to unlock all files and folders in the rebellion directory from read-only. The other is to place rebellion in a location where it never gets the read only attribute in the first place (this requires some registry tweaks). My personal preference is the latter, but should you prefer the former all you have to do is select the rebellion folder and right click > properties and uncheck the read-only box. Double check everything to save yourself grief. Then run rebed.
If you wish to do the former, I have edited the instructions above accordingly. Happy hacking.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:23 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

These directions are great, but I have no idea what tc beta is, where it is, how I use it, or what it does. Im a complete computer noob but I love this game. All these posts seem to be for windows 7, and im using 8. Also these posts are for reloaded, when I just want to play rebellion. I could use step by step instructions for windows 8 installing rebellion that are completely clear to a stupid noob like me. I also dont have a windows xp disc so cant virtual machine that. All I have is this stupid win8 computer I hate, and a rebellion disc ive had since childhood. Somebody help me please!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:59 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

I have a fix for Win8 users with upsidedown icons and inverted colors:

In addition adding "-w" to the end of the target for windowed mode, go into the "Compatibility" tab and select "Run in 640x480 screen resolution"

This worked on my Win8 tablet and I'm a happy camper. Note: you need to have a mouse connected for Rebellion to start up. Windows 8 takes patience young padawans, patience. Except for the new start button. That is the spawn of the dark side

Profile E-mail