GUIDE: Getting the game to scale in Virtual PC / VMplayer

vegenigma

Question

Those of you who use Virtual PC or VMplayer may have noticed that those programs will not scale Rebellion to fit your monitor,but instead will display the game at 640 by 480 pixels and surround it by large black bars all around. I spent a good deal of time working on a solution so I can play this game properly, and I figured I would share it here for anyone who might want to play the game in true full screen. Here is the guide, copied and pasted from the one I originally put on the VMplayer website:

1) Install VMplayer and create your virtual machine as normal. (If you've already done so, just skip to the next step.)

2) Download and install 12noon's Display Changer program at http://www.12noon.com/displaychanger.htm for free.

3) Create a new shortcut to VMplayer on your desktop (or wherever you want). This is the only somewhat tricky part. I will use my own as an example:

In the "Target" field, I entered "C:\Program Files (x86)\12noon Display Changer\dc64.exe" -width=640 -height=480 -depth=32 -refresh=60 "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\vmplayer.exe"

* The "C:\Program Files (x86)\12noon Display Changer\dc64.exe" portion is the location of the Display Changer program on my system.

* The -width=640 -height=480 -depth=32 -refresh=60 portion gives the width in pixels, height in pixels, color depth (eg 16 for 16-bit or 32 for 32-bit), and refresh rate. So, if the program you want to use is fixed at 640x480 resolution, you might use the same text as me, possibly adjusting the color depth to 8 or 16-bit if the program requires. NOTE: The resolution settings just listed are what I use for Rebellion, and can remain unchanged.

* The "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\vmplayer.exe" portion is the location of VMplayer on my machine.

In the "Start In" field, I entered "C:\Program Files (x86)\12noon Display Changer" because the Display Changer program executable is located there.

4) Create additional shortcuts as needed, if you need to use this trick for additional programs with other fixed resolutions.

5) Be sure to adjust you host computer's own display stretching settings if need be. Almost all video cards allow you to choose a scaling method. I prefer fixed aspect ratio scaling so my image isn't horizontally stretched on my widescreen display, but others might prefer to leave scaling off so the image fits the entire screen. Your video card should have a special configuration program that can be accessed by the Windows control panel or simply by right-clicking on your desktop.

6) Run the shortcut. Your monitor will be fixed at the settings from your shortcut until you close VMplayer. Under the example I provided above, a program within VMplayer that runs only at 640x480 full-screen resolution will now be scaled to fit the monitor, instead of being tiny and surrounded by black bars.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL. Using improper setting may damage your video card and/or monitor, so use this guide and the Display Changer program at your own risk.

If you use VirtualPC instead of VMplayer, you're going to obviously have to adjust the shortcut accordingly. However, I'd suggest trying VMplayer instead because its emulation is overall much faster than VirtualPC's and it has an excellent "Unity" mode.

4 answers to this question

This is a great guide. I will probably use it for several games I have running in VMware.

Another suggestion: use a second monitor. My laptop is hooked to a standard monitor (not widescreen). Put VMware on that monitor, change that screen's resolution to match the game (Catalyst allows that, for ATI users), and play away. No black bars or additional programs required, but you do have to change the resolution more frequently instead of just loading the shortcut. But your main screen becomes a great means for showing guides, walkthroughs, maps, or other resources.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

Hi, im newbie and i love this forum from the better game of SW

I´ve installed the vm and later the rebellion but i can´t install the software for adjust size of tiny screen on rebellion because in

the VM i not installed internet, how can i do that?

thanks friends

viewtopic.php?p=546514&sid=4a941128ef10665354a07d6b1ac99857#p546514

I had posted this previously, but I prefer to use Virtualbox. You can install XP 32-bit and install Rebellion normally, then simply use the scaling mode of the virtual machine to size it up to resolution you desire.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4869/swrebellion.png

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy