Can't play Rebellion, nonsensical problem

Esdain

Question

I am trying to play Star Wars Rebellion on Windows Vista 64-bit

I used to play it all the time on my old Windows 2000, but clearly it is not agreeing with me.

I followed the compatibility fixes and instructions on this site, and overcame my previous error of "not compatible"

However, I now have a new problem. The files for the game are installed onto the computer.

But when I get the autoplay up, and hit Play, it tells me the CD-ROM cannot be found. After suspicions that my old CD had been damaged, I got a new(er) one, that is confirmed to work on other, non-Vista computers.

I still get the error "CD-ROM cannot be found, if problem persists, re-install from original disk."

This I have done several times. Adjusting the CD, reinstalling, nothing works. Can ya help me out?

4 answers to this question

It is not finding your CD. It is an old game, it will look for the first CD-ROM letter device you have, make sure the CD is in the first letter DVD/CD-ROM device such as D:

You can try an emulator to set the drive letter too. I had to that on mine, image your CD then tell the emulator it is in the first drive. That should also be in the registry where for it look for it. The CD check need to look for the file MDATA (movies) something to verify it is there.

Else there is something 'out there' that 'will' make it play, but you will not see any cut scenes. So it not the best solution, but it does work.

Google "Daemon Tools Lite" it is a free version. Works like a charm for me on my machine, I like to see the cut scenes (and keep disk in safe place, original is worth too much money to lose). You need your original disk to make the image copy of course (security check). But then you can select the drive letter to the first one in line such as "D:" but it must also match the change in your registry so that is also the same drive letter it is looking for to verify the disk. Such as F:\ CD-ROM (old install) would be D:\ CD-ROM (New install). Install Dir C:\Lucas Arts\Rebellion etc....

IIRC F: was used quit often for the cd-drom drive back in the 1998. Well, F: will not work.