Bunch of questions (Hooray!)

Rebelllllllllllllllll

Question

As the Empire, how can you compensate for the Rebels' wealth of diplomats early in the game? Entire sectors seem almost destined to fall to them. Coupled with the fact that the rebel base can be moved at any time, and can recruit more quickly, do people generally consider the Rebels as more fated to win?

How effective are the hook maneuvers in tactical mode? Some ships certainly have have weaker aft ratings if you could pull in behind them. But do the hook maneuvers work? Also, while they are executing the turn, do they fire on the ship? Is a ship able to fire from each side to its full rating if surrounded? I.E. would surrounding a ship be a bad idea because it would give them more opportunity to damage your fleet (by about 3 x for most capitals) or does the weapons recharge rate prohibit firing on more than one front simultaneously? How can one set waypoints in tactical mode? Again, when moving, can the ships attack? I hope to be ready to play online at some stage in the future. What speed do most people use?

When a fleet is in orbit around an enemy planet, is it guaranteed to see any characters on the surface? Only Ranking characters (generals, etc.) or non-espionage types? I'm pretty sure you never see ships/personnel in hyperspace transit without espionage. Also, I noticed that intel sometimes becomes randomly available without a message to acknowledge it. Is there any specific reason (cause) for this? I believe that a neutral planet that turns to your side will inform you of an incoming enemy fleet. Also, there seem to be a few enemy fleets visible that have no ships. Does this indicate a fleet possibly on its way, a fleet under construction, or nothing at all?

I have all the data from an old CD on my computer, but the CD itself is currently lost to me. Is there any way that has been developed that will allow me to punch up the game without the CD? Don't have Mdata or anything except what would be installed by a maximum install. Just got Alcohol 120 but I think I'd need to buy a new CD for that to work.

I would deeply appreciate any answer to these annoying questions. Since I want to play, but can't currently for the reason just mentioned, I'm sort of fixating on little game mechanics, running the game over and over through my head, like beach sand through a hand. I would answer these myself if I could. Sorry. Hope to play some of you soon!

Does anyone know of a way to speed up selections from drop-down menus in the game? I'm talking about build queues, missions. You have to scroll with that little sidebar via mouse click, then click the object from a list, but any alternative method would be very handy. Hopefully someone knows one.

Likewise is there any keyboard control for scrolling down battle lists instead of clicking (and Holding) that NARROW sidebar?

It's possible my mouse scroller simply isn't fully functional.

Thanks for the response. Next up in this catalogue of issues: of issues: reb ed. Run windows 7 home edition premium 64 bit (virtual machines but no xp mode for this version). Got the game to work to work thanks to instructions posted here: http://viewtopic.php?p=542563#p542563

But after installing numerous editions of rebed in different locations and even transplanting the rebellion game to programs files instead of program files(x86), rebed still displays the same message "Rebellion not found. Bailing Out." For those of you not familiar with windows 7 issues, 64 bit processors can only install the game by moving the files manually and downloading a new d3drm.dll file.

I mostly want rebed just to see the probability of mission success, ship stats, etc. right now, but I'm sure I'll get around to using it.

As always, any help would be appreciated

Still, i would have thought spec forces would help detection. Why else would they assign an espionage value to probes? . I will test this.

If I remember correctly, the espionage value has no passive effect. Meaning that a character with 500 espionage that is sitting duck in a system would not detect anything. You'd need him to have a leadership value to get some detection and some units to lead. Otherwise, the espionage has an active value, meaning you can take your unit to make a mission, either probing or espionage and might then find an intruder. However, this is no good, as you'll have to always restart these missions and it gets long...