I'm running reb. in Virtual PC w/ sp3 & it still won't work

tweeker

Question

It tells me reb. has encountered a problem and needs to close, you all know that annoying little window that pops up. I don't know enough about programs running in virtual pc to even begin to understand why its doing this, thus, I come to you for help. What can I do to get it to run properly?

Your fellow Rebellion fan,

Tweeker

2 answers to this question

I feel it's disgraceful that no one has responded to this by now...

I take it you're playing on a Mac? Rebellion wasn't designed for that new of an OS; I'm not familiar with Virtual PC, but perhaps you can set it to emulate an older version of Windows? I think Rebellion was around Win 98 era. Or you can try Win 2000; should work there too.

If you are still around, I'll get replies to my email so I will see if/when you reply to this. Let me know what's currently going on, and I'll see if I can't help somehow.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

Virtual PC does not support client hardware acceleration last I checked. Use an alternative solution from VMware or Virtualbox. Also, rebexe.exe is finicky in it's design (a major oversight) that it requires a sound device to be installed, whether or not you use it or have speakers installed is irrelevant, but Windows must have the hardware and driver for the hardware installed, or you will get similar errors.

1) Hardware acceleration (yeah I know it's software DirectX, DirectDraw) (in a virtual machine supporting guest access to host graphics hardware and guest additions enabled)

2) Audio hardware and driver installed (in a virtual machine, have the guest additions with audio enabled)

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy