This Game Can't Repel a DVD Drive of That Magnitude!

BentonGrey

Question

So, I LOVED Rebellion back in the day, and just recently dug it out again to play it for a bit after I was raving about it to a friend. However, not having played it for several iterations of hardware in my PC, I find myself at a strange impasse. I'm hoping that, if anyone can help me, the folks here might be able to. You see, I have installed the game (although the CD itself would not allow me to do so) by tracking down an ISO, manually ripping the files, and then installing it from my desktop), but when trying to run it, I get the message "CD-ROM could not be found." Now, I rather suspect that the problem is that my drive is too fast or too alien to this ancient 1998 technology for the game to recognize it, but being far from an expert, I'm certainly not sure. Either way, nothing I have tried is working, and I know the disk is still good, as I can install it on my old (OLD) laptop. Why not just play it on the laptop you ask? Because, the laptop is ancient as well, and it has such a wussy video card that the game only displays in a tiny, tiny little window. So, I've tried running the game via a shortcut that has been set to Win98 compatibility. I've tried downloading a crack (which I can't get to run), and I've tried simply dumping all the extra files from the CD itself into the Lucasarts directory. Has anyone ever encountered this problem before, or am I once again lucky enough to find something new and unpleasant?

3 answers to this question

Since you installed it manually through your desktop, the game thinks it is there to look for the cd rom to verify it. Of course, it is not there. So it gives you message "no cdrom found". You can get it to work by just mounting the iso in DT tools, install from that virtual image, and just play it off that virtual drive. Works like a charm.

I assume you mean by installing from desktop you ran the installer from your local drive, in which case the registry entry generated for the path to the CDROM points to your hard drive. A dive into the registry will fix this. I don't have the keys off hand but search for the x64 installation thread in these forums and you'll find the registry information you are looking for.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC\Star Wars Rebellion]

"DisplayOpts"=dword:13110100

"MusicVolume"=dword:000002bc

"Volume"=dword:000002de

"EncyLocation"="C:\\Program Files\\LucasArts\\Star Wars Rebellion\\EData"

"EXEPath"="C:\\Program Files\\LucasArts\\Star Wars Reloaded\\REBEXE.EXE"

"TooBigLocation"="C:\\Program Files\\LucasArts\\Star Wars Rebellion\\"

"DllLocation"="C:\\Program Files\\LucasArts\\Star Wars Rebellion\\"

"DataLocation"="C:\\Program Files\\LucasArts\\Star Wars Rebellion\\"

"InstalledLocation"="C:\\Program Files\\LucasArts\\Star Wars Rebellion\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC\Star Wars Rebellion\Version]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectPlay\Applications\Star Wars Rebellion]

"CommandLine"=""

"GUID"="{015962A0-F183-11d1-B390-006008B0AB18}"

"File"="REBEXE.EXE"

"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\LucasArts\\Star Wars Rebellion\\"

"CurrentDirectory"="C:\\Program Files\\LucasArts\\Star Wars Rebellion\\"

The above code is for modifying the registry to take files normally found on the CDROM even during a regular full installation and to copy them to the local hard drive and modify the pointer to the hard drive locations (BOLD). To use the code above you need a cd crack. However, your system has probably already done something similar to point to your desktop or from wherever you launched the "ripped" installer. Change the two highlighted registry keys to reflect the path of your CDROM.

"EncyLocation"="D:\\EData"

"TooBigLocation"="D:\\"

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

Hey guys, thanks so much for the responses! I was able to mess with Daemon Tools (I had previously tried unsuccessfully, but came up with a better strategy this time), and reinstalled the game from a virtual drive. That worked like a charm, and I am now freeing the galaxy, one star system at a time! Thanks again!