I've been reading this thread and wanted to add something I stumbled upon. I am running Win7 on a toshiba laptop with good video and audio drivers.
To play Rebellion in Win7 you don't need to install Virtual XP or Virtual Box. Just setup your REBEXE to run in compatibility mode for WinXP SP2 and you will need the dr3dm.dll file (available here on this site)http://www.swrebellion.com/downloads/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=5
Should only take a few minutes.
Here's How I did it:
1. Click Start -> Control Panel
2. Click Programs -> Run Programs Made for Previous Versions of Windows
3. After it "detects Issues" you will see a list of installed programs.
4. Select "Not Listed" and click Next
5. Browse to Program Files -> Lucas Arts -> REBEXE.exe
6. It will auto select the proper settings and Windows mode (for me it setup as WinXP SP2)
7. Test the game for a few minutes (use Ctrl + Alt + Del to exit if need be) then hit next
8. Click Save Settings and Your Done. Enjoy!
Note: The only issue I've come across is the not being able to skip the intro. But this should still be easily fixed with the EMPSPRITE.dll hack mentioned in other threads. And in all fairness, I don't play out space battles, just sim them and hence would not know if they work well or not.
If anyone has other issues, let us know.