Welcome Anonymous!
We host quality Star Wars sites - inquire at The Star Wars Rebellion Network  
SW:Rebellion Network
imminent-bean

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rebellion in Windows 7
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:14 am 
Dark Lord of the Sith
Dark Lord of the Sith

Did you modify your reg file (assuming your programs files path is incorrect) as stated there?

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.
- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -
The cake is a lie.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:09 am 
<!-- Cadet //-->

I had the game running w/o doing that part that I posted. However.. was wanting to somehow get the editor working.. so I figured maybe I should do that part too and try. The only thing I did was merge the thing like it said. Now the game is unstable and I can't save or load anything. How do I unmerge it?

Ok, I found another file just like that one.. I merged it after redoing everything else. Now I can save games again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:21 am 
<!-- Lieutenant Colonel //-->

Okay, 2 options: you may need to put the new .exe from budious (and I think you need a .dll too, don't remember which) .

If you are playing my mod, notice that the game path is different from original. If you want to edit-it, you will need to change the path.

Option 2 is to make a new install of my mod.

Really important: the MDATA error can be corrected. Follow the instructions! This path: _Rebellion1.5_Mod_Alphav3\_Important

it contains 2 files. One will activate editing, the other one will activate movies, which is the reason you get the MDATA error.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:36 am 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Actually my issues here were for the base game and running it, not your mod. But, it's resolved now. Dunno what I did to fix it, but everything seems to work more or less again(other than being able to do a full install and use RebEd).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:33 am 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Hey everyone!

First post here, because it seems that for me none of the workarounds seem to work.
When I insert the disc, I get the known message that the program is not compatible with 64 bit, and so on... (I use Win7 Home Premium, so the XP mode won't work for me either.)
Then I tried copying the REBELLION folder to "C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion" just as described. But there I'm facing the same problem as someone else stated: The folder appears to be 12 GB, and windows gets stuck on copying.
Next I tried the suggestion of creating an .iso file from the disc, and then copying everything from the .iso. But at approximately 50% of creating the .iso, I get repeated reading errors. At first I thought it might be a scratched CD, but it's completely flawless, and when I look at the silver side of disc, there seems to be a little track in the middle, that looks different from the rest... I guess that's the copy protection?!

Is there any chance to copy the REBELLION folder despite of this? I just wanna play this game again! XD

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:36 pm 
<!-- Admiral -->

Hector-LLG wrote:
Hey everyone!
Is there any chance to copy the REBELLION folder despite of this? I just wanna play this game again! XD

Two options.

One: What did you use to make the .iso? Different programs will yield different results. Try a new program and see if it still hangs at 50%. I recommend Daemon Tools Lite, but there are literally dozens (if not hundreds) of programs you could try.

Option one has the benefit of being quick to try and completely free.

Two: Download VMware and load an old version of Windows. Try Windows 98, Windows 2000, or XP. If you don't have a copy lying around, you can probably find one for fairly cheap at thrift stores, places that sell used software, or online (Ebay anyone?).

Option two has the benefit of working for sure. I run Rebellion under VMware, no special settings, mods, or anything required. Its also free, so long as you have an old version of Windows.

This is a guide you can use to make Rebellion run even better in a VM. The steps here are optional, and primarily used for getting full-screen instead of windowed mode. If you want, you can just change your screen resolution and get similar results.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:49 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Hi,

I just registered to post here. I am having the same problem a previous user posted about. I have a Vista x64 system. I followed the instructions in the first post for installing Rebellion. When I launch the game the screen goes black and nothing happens. I can't get out of it and I have to force restart the computer. I tried hitting he spacebar based on a previous comment that said it might be the intro movie trying to load. Can someone please help?

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:47 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

okay, been away from this site and rebellion for quite a while now. been working off a crappy vista laptop. was just looking into a new pc, most available with win7 home premium, so no virtual xp mode. don't feel like shelling out for vmware just for the player that only has a 30 day trial if dowloaded for free. after reading this whole thread, sounds like there are still some problems after going through all the work around, like having to sit through that damn driod intro and having problems with rebed and modding even if someone gets rebellion to play perfectly on win7 or a virtual OS. used to play rebellion A LOT and had my own tc in the works. i'm looking to start over again. i built three of my own systems starting with win95, win98, and winxp home, and still have all the disks. when i built my xp system, i had it multiboot optioned with 95 and 98 as well, to play some of my really old games that didn't even want to play on xp. i did have some problems with peripherals and drivers but just disabled thier ports and such depending which os i wanted to use. pain in the butt to go into bios all the time to shut down usb ports and such, but once you learn your bios, its easy.

so, with all the problems i've read about, and having found a great how to page on howtogeek.com, am i safe in assuming that if i don't want to have any problems running rebellion on a win7 system, and also to use rebed and all the other modding and old modelling software that i was used to years ago without any of the problems described in this long thread, my best bet would be to partition what is sure to be my terabyte hard drive and install at least winxp home if not an even older version or two and dedicate it to rebellion for years to come? multi boot seems pretty easy on win7, not much different than xp except for needing a free program to set up the multiboot screen after the older version bootlogger overwrites win7's. i just want to be able to play bug free, full screen, and get started eventually on another total conversion of my own at some point.

think i'm on the right track just setting up my win7 home premium to multiboot into my older operating systems for my ancient games, or think it's worth it to upgrade to win7 pro or ult and shell out the cash for a good virtual player to switch back into older win versions. if i'm playing rebellion, i don't need any of the abilities of win7, just need rebellion to work right, have a browser to come onto this sight and do star wars reasearch, and have enough hard drive space for lots of game saves, picture, video, and model archives, and programs that i need to mod the game without all the bugs everybody else seems to be having.

opinions very welcome, thanks everybody :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:50 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Hey all, had a quick question. I have Win 7 with XP mode running rebellion. The game runs fine, but sometimes when I try to enter a space battle (like if I'm not sure of the outcome) The whole screen goes black like it's frozen. After awhile I'll hear the audio of the fleet coming in, but nothing changes on screen. I usually have to close the game down and lose whatever data I hadn't save. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:32 am 
<!-- Warlord -->

Location: Death Stars are out at night, big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas.
Update your video drivers?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:17 am 
<!-- Lieutenant //-->

Well I have to admit defeat. I've tried everything in this thread. The new REBEXE just did not work. I even went out and bought a full upgrade for Windows 7 from Home to Pro.

XP Mode? No, Rebellion refused to work.

My ONLY option left is to fork out another £50-£70 , and buy a second hand machine with Windows XP installed, and use that to play Rebellion on.

This I will do as I love this game, but I cannot believe it has been made virtually impossible to play with Windows 7.

I'm pretty pissed off. :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:43 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

I tried to follow the instructions in the first post to get this game to work on Windows 7. whenever i try to run the program I get an error message saying the the CD-Rom cannot be found. I'm pretty NOT smart when it comes to trying to get things like this work, but really want to play this game again! any help would be appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:13 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Everything worked for me the first time. I have a problem, I can not skip the presentation, but the space war seems to work fine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:07 am 
<!-- Cadet //-->

I'm running Win 7 Professional 64bit. I keep getting a "The program can't start because smackw32.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:35 pm 
<!-- Colonel -->

Then you simply download off the net a copy of that smacker video codec (used to play those older video clips) and place it in your system folder so the program can find it. :wink:

Quote:
put the file into the Windows/System32 file
not the Rebellion folder in case it does not work try both locations. It will not hurt to have more than one copy. It simply is where the exe is looking for it. Nothing more.

@Imperator2 -------Let exe have "administrative rights" to run is another not so obvious prevents the reb.exe from even starting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next